Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth the extra for a Blob Widetrack?

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2014, 01:06 AM
deadonkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth the extra for a Blob Widetrack?

Hi,

Back here after a few years, thought about buying a cheap classic a few years ago but I went down the sensible (and Boring) route.

anyway, ive saved up a bit and enjoyed a cheapish car for a while but its time to get back into a turbo car.

Im looking at Blob STI's.

It seems that a mint Widetrack is £9k and a mint 03 or 04 car is £7k.
What Im asking really is it worth the extra for the additional items you get.

I must admit that I like the dash and steering wheel from the 05 cars but it seems a bit much to pay the extra cash just because the dash is nicer.

Im looking for some views really regarding the advantages of going for an 05 car.
are the DCCD and the wider track worth it or do they not make a huge amount of difference?

Last edited by deadonkey; 04 March 2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04 March 2014, 03:18 AM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

9k never

It's a buyers market 7k get you a good one

Widetrack is defo worth the extra
Old 04 March 2014, 05:38 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That depends what your going to be doing with the car. Yes the wide track is a better car, but it's a very subjective question. It's a 9yr old car vs a 10/12 yr old car, which is best will depend on how they have been looked after.

Gear box is stronger on the wide track and they are supposed to handle better in standard form, but a non wide track will probably go just as quickly over the same ground with the same driver.

I'd say 90% of drivers hardly touch the DCCD.

The only real benefit would be come sale time as the wide track is more desirable it will be easier to get rid of if keenly priced.

I'd only pay the extra if I could afford it cash and still have £3k left for any issues that may arise but the same goes for any performance car IMO if your spending every penny you have to get the wide track then it would be better to get a non wide track.

Or better still save £5k and get a lightly modded WRX or WRX PPP as there's nothing in it until 3 figure speeds and a WRX is a much better daily driver, better on fuel and easier to live with, unless you plan to mod and track it.
Old 09 March 2014, 08:14 AM
Gary Tractor boy
Scooby Regular

9k sounds way ott, i paid £7k a year ago for my 05 sti with under 60k on it and mine has the ppp pack on. My advice would be to shop around and don't be afraid to travel for the car, I bought from northern Ireland.
Old 09 March 2014, 09:53 AM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If any of you can find a good widetrack with the dccd and sub 60k for around 7-8k I would be amazed. I cannot find any good ones for around that price, the only one I can find has 73,000, FSH, ppp but it doesnt seem mint to me. So as above if anyone finds one pm me as I have cash waiting.
Old 09 March 2014, 09:57 AM
W R X
Scooby Regular

Wondered the same thing myself. The two PPP'd DCCDs on AT that I like the look of at the moment are priced at £10,495 and £10,995 it looks to be driving up pricing of 04s too with pre wide track cars on sensible mileage up for circa £9k.

I wanted to get back into Scooby ownership after selling my 05 WRX PPP a year back and thought a budget of £8k would walk me straight into a sensible mileage, PPP, DCCD STI Blob but it's turning out not to be the case.

Although the STI is a much more 'focused' car, as said above, it really is hard to justify the extra £4-5k for the STI over the PPP WRX. Still want one though
Old 09 March 2014, 10:40 AM
GH80
Scooby Regular

Buying from Northern Ireland will save you a few thousand. Bought a very nice example for 7.5k with just over 70k miles, PPP, FSH and unmolested and had everyone saying it was way overpriced and not worth more than 6k. Except those who owned one

Here is what I got, and for the record I could live without the DCCD as I never touch it, and to be honest it seems like a waste of time as I don't thrash the car on loose surfaces. The newer interior is nice, but not worth the premium.

Old 09 March 2014, 10:56 AM
romford-boy
Scooby Regular

Well this one isn't bad - has a good history and for not much money can be made tip top, after all having a new cambelt is far more important than a few cosmetic bits and pieces.

70,000 miles is less than 8,000 a year and I'm sure you could barter it down to £6,500.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...xperiment=true
Old 09 March 2014, 05:24 PM
Mr Blobby
Scooby Regular

Well I had a 2004 mint blob eye but ended up selling it about 6 months after buying it to get basically the same car but a wide track (same colour same miles etc. almost the same car haha) and yes it it better. The DCCD is so handy especially if you are going to mod the car and track it.
Old 09 March 2014, 05:50 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've very recently started playing with the DCCD in my car, after being persuaded by Simon @ Chevron and I can honestly say that it transforms the car when enthusiastic. I've been terrorising the local roundabouts like a mad man to find my sweetspot in various conditions, cannot wait to experiment on track.
Old 09 March 2014, 08:52 PM
JamesDundee
Scooby Regular

I've got the Widetrack and never regretted spending the extra. The interior is much nicer and I actually do use the DCCD. The car is a different animal in fully green/rearmost setting, compared to auto.
Mine had 76k, was local and had just had a shedload of cash spent and servicing done. I paid around £8000 about a year ago (give or take £500 I can't remember)
Old 09 March 2014, 11:44 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fonzey
I've very recently started playing with the DCCD in my car, after being persuaded by Simon @ Chevron and I can honestly say that it transforms the car when enthusiastic. I've been terrorising the local roundabouts like a mad man to find my sweetspot in various conditions, cannot wait to experiment on track.
Could you tell us what setting you've experimented with?

Ive only used mine for launching, going round bends caused horrible banging noises so stuck it back in auto.
Old 09 March 2014, 11:55 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I sold mine in 2011 for just under £10k with 42k on the clock. I still regret parting with it.

A minter is worth £9k all day long imho.
Old 09 March 2014, 11:57 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I have a widetrack jdm blob and don't regret spending the extra although finding one took a while