Sponsored by:

potential new Scooby owner

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2014, 12:02 AM
stevobeavo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default potential new Scooby owner

Hi guys, I'm hopefully going to be getting a Scooby in the next few months, finally getting bored of my little MK1 fabia vRS and was wondering if I could get your help on a few things.

I'm hoping to get a blob eye one like this;
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...xperiment=true

However after looking around online and on here Im none the wiser to the differences between an STI, WRX, and a WRX STI that's Ive seen mentioned?

Also what are the common faults with theses cars? I've read the later 2.5L have head gaskets problems and the earlier bug eyes have some sort of engine problem as well.

And lastly any problems with rust? I was tempted by a EVO 6 (can we mention them over hear?) but the horror stories about rust have put me off.

Cheers for any help given

Stephen
Old 04 March 2014, 07:56 AM
t2dex
Scooby Regular

The Evo 6 is a much older car, It can only be likened to the classics and they have rust too, just depends on how they have been looked after, I had a immaculate Evo 6 2 year ago and my mate has one now, The Evo 6 is faster then the new age because of weight but the new age handles slightly better and has a much newer feel. If you push the Evo 6 to 400BHP then your going to need twin clutch then Transfer boxes and rear Diffs every month if you launch it.

Both great cars but I have the newage STi now.
Old 04 March 2014, 02:10 PM
GH80
Scooby Regular

That one you picked (2005 blobeye STi) seems to one of the better ones (except some JDM imports) as it was the last model to use the reliable 2.0 before the 2.5 disaster. The 2005 is fitted with the new dash, steering wheel and has adjustable diff lock.

Common rust spot is along the top of the window on the roof. Could need a new radiator (mine did), I hear it is quite common. Check the gearbox for grinding or difficulty going into gears when warm. They can be a bitch to get in gear when cold though, which is normal. Don't worry too much if you hear gurgling after a cold start, lots do this with no issues. VTA dump valves make them drive like poo at low revs, and they need 97 octane fuel as a minimum, 98 and above recommended. If they have been run using 99 octane don't put 97 in and start thrashing them, ecu may need a while to learn the change in fuel. Don't go near 95 octane!

Probably better buying private so you can have a good yarn with the owner.
Old 04 March 2014, 02:26 PM
stevobeavo
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by GH80
That one you picked (2005 blobeye STi) seems to one of the better ones (except some JDM imports) as it was the last model to use the reliable 2.0 before the 2.5 disaster. The 2005 is fitted with the new dash, steering wheel and has adjustable diff lock.

Common rust spot is along the top of the window on the roof. Could need a new radiator (mine did), I hear it is quite common. Check the gearbox for grinding or difficulty going into gears when warm. They can be a bitch to get in gear when cold though, which is normal. Don't worry too much if you hear gurgling after a cold start, lots do this with no issues. VTA dump valves make them drive like poo at low revs, and they need 97 octane fuel as a minimum, 98 and above recommended. If they have been run using 99 octane don't put 97 in and start thrashing them, ecu may need a while to learn the change in fuel. Don't go near 95 octane!

Probably better buying private so you can have a good yarn with the owner.
That's excellent, Thanks for that buddy.

I think ill be looking for a 05 model with the driver controlled differential.

There doesn't seem to be much to look out for really, which is good. I did let a o5 blob eye turn into a side road today and looked awesome. Blue and gold = win lol.