Sponsored by:

sti clocks

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2014, 07:42 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sti clocks

evening everybody,can someone please shed some light on the route i need to take to convert my 2002 jdm bugeye kph dials into mph dials to make my car legit for the uk?ive looked at uk mph dials on ebay and the lockwood overlays.also would i need a convertor box from kph to mph??im completely clueless and finding a definitive answer is giving me a headache.thanks for your time,ryan.
Old 20 February 2014, 10:11 PM
esp ltd
Scooby Regular

You need an electronic converter / some times called a delimited chip. On an 02 it fits into the wiring on top of the gearbox, just remove the intercooler and it's an easy job. Try to solder the joins if possible and make sure you insulate well so no water can ingress.
You should find one on eBay for around £30
Once fitted you can add an MPH sticker or black out the K on the KMH or simply not bother and just look at the numbers instead.
Old 21 February 2014, 05:01 AM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

thanks for the reply mate.if i went down that route would i have to prove to the mot tester how it had been changed?so its a lot cheaper then buying a set of clocks for around £300 off ebay then?thanks again,ryan.
Old 21 February 2014, 09:27 AM
esp ltd
Scooby Regular

If it's just for the MOT tested all you need do is pop the clocks out and add an MPH sticker or black out the K with a tiny square of black tape or a drop of black paint. I'd go the sticker route as you'll never get the paint off again
It's nothing to do with the tester, if he's being a smart *** just go to another testing station! Whilst the speedo should display MPH most testers don't look and the only people who actually do test the accuracy are VOSA when you have an SVA / IVA test.
Don't pay more than £30 for a delimiter, there's no need as these work perfectly well and last for years as long as you fit it properly. I haven't fitted one for a few years as I no longer import but the hardest bit was removing the intercooler as my back ain't the best
You'll see a black plug on the top of the box that you'll connect 4 sited into, 1xlive, 1x earth and 1x speed signal in / 1x speed signal out which is basically 1 wire you cut that'll then flow through the delimiter chip
Old 21 February 2014, 11:00 AM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

mate your help is greatly appreciated,would i be right in thinking it does not need an sva test as its over 10 years old?ive been struggling to find out exactly what is required to make it legit for uk roads.once again thanks for your time and help,cheers,ryan.
Old 21 February 2014, 08:19 PM
esp ltd
Scooby Regular

No probs matey, you don't need to SVA as it's over 10 years old now so just fit a rear foglight and you are ready to go. For a fog light i'd just fit a red bulb into the drivers side reverse light as that's fine for an MOT
Just the usual things such as emissions / tyres / lights / brakes etc and then you can register the car with the DVLA. Take copies of everything as Swansea DVLA have gone seriously down hill in my experince of late!
If you are unsure of anything else just PM as i may not always get on here
Dave.
Old 22 February 2014, 08:06 AM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

that information is greatly appreciated mate.thanks for your time,cheers,ryan.