Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2014, 04:35 PM
smiffywhu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help

Hi guys,

I'm new so sorry if I sound a bit of a "DIV" !!

I've only had my new scooby half a year (STI 07) and I've already smashed my front bumper up on a pot hole in a stoney car park.I'm on adjustable BC coilovers (squeaky and well too firm for my liking) but it's not very low, other than that it's completely standard and I was also hoping to get some small performance gains with a budget of £1k max too.Any idea's for a new front bumper,coilovers (I've heard BC's are poor) and the slight performance upgrades?It seems slower than my old 2000 with PPP.All replies appreciated.

Cheers

Dale
Old 20 February 2014, 04:37 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ber-ideas.html

is this not the same post??? confirmed you are a "div"
Old 20 February 2014, 05:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

First of, check the ride height and put it back to standard. Lowering Scoobs not only opens them up to damage, but lowers the roll-centre thus making the car roll more.

There's nowt wrong with BC, if fitted properly.

£1000 will get you a decent increase in power. What's been done so far?
Old 20 February 2014, 06:13 PM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

hi smiffy, I was advised on an ecutec remap .... your turbo would be good place to start followed by map to suit. your turbo I think is vf series as its sti unless its been changed but vf34 is a good blower easy reaching 340 bhp . your shocks unless doing track days id stick oem original spec items on, as there new they will be better than your present ones, but as said above set up correctly there good to go.hope that helps.
Old 20 February 2014, 06:48 PM
smiffywhu
Scooby Regular

Firstly,LOL Tubby no one replied to my question so I re-asked a few hours later.
Alcazar thanks for you post,my front mud flaps are literally 2mm off the ground, rears are about 3inches does this sound like they've been fitted wrong?Its not that low but I will def get it put back to standard.So far she's only done 40k and most of which are motorway miles (previous owner was a female solicitor).I got a cheap crappy sounding Dump valve the day I brought her home from Herts to East Anglia and persevered with it for the full 6months I've had it.I've been told exhaust and remap is a good start??My immediate concern though is my front bumper letting the whole car down since my mishap.Is a standard replacement easy to get hold of or is it a good time to get myself an aftermarket one?
ssstteeee thanks for your reply too.I thought the turbo would be the last of my concerns and also an upgraded turbo would be out of my budget,I'm a complete novice in tuning although always had scoobys, but always thought the STI standard turbo was what "made the car" what it is??Would my old one sell for a decent amount?
Old 21 February 2014, 07:34 AM
mrjelly
Scooby Regular

Smiffy - have you really broke yer bumper or is it just a front splitter fitted at bottom.
Splitters are prone to damage but they look great....
I havent heard of anyone breaking their bumper on a hawk in a car park - but have seen holes etc in splitters. I regularly scrape the bottom of my splitter and the chargespeed one on my wrx is pretty cracked along both sides.
I actually got the wrx lifted back up by 5mm though cos she was too low. the biggest pain is the scraping noise the mud flaps make over any kind of bump, up my drive and even going round corners
There are whole areas in Aberdeen I cannot drive in but hey !
In my opinion a lowered hawk looks much better and I think drives better.
both my scoobs are lowered on bcs on stiff settings - in fact I find if you dont lower the car they wallow a bit going round tight bends especially round abouts up in Aberdeen which are really small.

Front bumpers come up quite a lot in the cars breaking sections on here though

by the way dump vales may actually take away power from the sti as instead of recirculating some of the gas back to the turbo to help with respool it is dumped releasing pressure - yes its a cool noise and I do like it though

Ken

Last edited by mrjelly; 21 February 2014 at 07:41 AM.