Sponsored by:

Clutch choice sti 8

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2014, 10:20 AM
evorach
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch choice sti 8

Hi peeps i need to put a new clutch in my mrs sti8, it had a exedy organic and fly wherlel in 3 years ago and its done 8k and tbh i dont rate it as my mrs car is only 365bhp 345lbs. She does trackdays in it and uses it on roads so what do people recomend and what dont you

Thanks craig
Old 09 February 2014, 12:11 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a std 6spd OE type clutch would cope at that level and something like a 'pink box' Exedy would give a little headroom.......if you want something more refined then an AP Racing or Helix organic would be the choice albeit more expensive

what exactly is it you dont rate about your current kit and what is it exactly??
Old 09 February 2014, 12:53 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Are you saying the Excedy pink last 8K?
I got 90K out of my OE clutch (JGM mapped PPP MY06 STI) with regular track days and only replaced it because the HG was replaced by Extreme Scoobies.
Unfortunately I replaced it with a faulty Excedy Pink - but that is another (very sad/expensive) story. I don't know whether it was a counterfeit, but two of the springs were not up to spec.
API sorted the problem out for my by diagnosing the fault and then installing a Competition Stage 2 Clutch.
I quite liked the feel of the Excedy funnily enough - just not the massive resonances it caused through-out the transmission.
Old 09 February 2014, 01:00 PM
evorach
Scooby Regular

It was an Exedy uprated organic racing clutch kit. Pink box anti judder with lightweight forged flywheel.

Craig put 8k but I'm sure it was more like 5k. I had no issues with the feel of the clutch, it's just how long it's lasted that I'm not happy with. I've done a couple of trackdays, ran it on the road a bit and a recent trip up and around Hardknott Pass has left it needing replacing. I want to get a bit more power out of the car so need a clutch that will take 400.
Rachel
Old 09 February 2014, 01:43 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you possibly have an issue with the slave cylinder or such at such a short life in that case??
Old 09 February 2014, 07:39 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
you possibly have an issue with the slave cylinder or such at such a short life in that case??
Yeah - 8K don't sound right at all.