Sponsored by:

Painting alloys.

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2014, 11:30 AM
Ozne
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting alloys.

Cant seem to find this anywhere on the search button.

Currently have some nice gold rota alloys on my Blob Sti, however getting bored of the 90s gold theme so after the same alloys but in black. Anyone recommend painting them?

Anyone done this before? Heard a few horror stories about powercoating, so put off doing that.

Thanks.
Old 03 February 2014, 01:12 PM
scooby 887
Scooby Regular

don't bother with powder coating unless your having the tyres removed and having the wheels sand blasted. i've done a set before because we have a powder coating plant at work and although they looked great when they were finished getting all the old paint off was a nightmare.
best bet clean them up with scothbrite, get as much of the crap off as possible and lightly sand them all over. starting with a fairly corse grit then finishing with something fine. mask up the tyres. use a elasticated masking tape for the 1st line so you can get it running behind the tyre nicely. primer them and then paint
i've done a few sets now and if you do it on a nice sunny day and start early you can finish them pretty much in a day
good luck
Old 03 February 2014, 07:52 PM
555PAUL
Scooby Newbie

I own a powder coating business and done it for years ive done hundreds of sets with no problems its the companies out there that don't care or take any pride in there work.
painted wheels are ok for a tidy up but no where near as good as a properly refurbished powder coated set. if your wheels are in mint condition and your just wanting a colour change then you would be ok with just painting them but what a body shop would charge to do a proper job of painting them it would be cheaper to have them powder coated IMHO

Last edited by 555PAUL; 03 February 2014 at 08:07 PM.