New to Forum and Looking for first Scooby

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2014, 04:10 PM
Scooby_MikeR
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Forum and Looking for first Scooby

Afternoon all,

I'm currently looking to purchase an Impreza, however this won't be happening until around April time, I've given myself till then to get the funds together and sell off my old car. In the mean time I am looking for as much information as I can obtain to make sure I pick the right Impreza.

So... Can you guys point me in the right direction? what things should I be looking out for, any common problems, models not to go for?

My budget is going to be around the £2.5 mark. high mileage isn't an issue as long as it's maintained.

The model that I seem to be drawn towards is like the one shown below...

Thanks in advance.

Mike.
Old 02 February 2014, 04:30 PM
User 21721
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby_MikeR
Afternoon all,

I'm currently looking to purchase an Impreza, however this won't be happening until around April time, I've given myself till then to get the funds together and sell off my old car. In the mean time I am looking for as much information as I can obtain to make sure I pick the right Impreza.

So... Can you guys point me in the right direction? what things should I be looking out for, any common problems, models not to go for?

My budget is going to be around the £2.5 mark. high mileage isn't an issue as long as it's maintained.

The model that I seem to be drawn towards is like the one shown below...

Thanks in advance.

Mike.
No offence mate but the model you are looking at is a limited edition 22B. Times your budget by 10 and you may have a chance of buying one

If you like the general shape of the 22B but with 5 doors and a lot less privellages you should find one and I'm sure the people on here will be more than happy to help.

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.

Last edited by User 21721; 02 February 2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02 February 2014, 04:46 PM
Scooby_MikeR
Scooby Newbie

It's just that shape I've seen some going for £2.5-3k, not after the best spec or limited editions just a good Sti if possible.
Old 02 February 2014, 04:51 PM
Scooby_MikeR
Scooby Newbie

Just found this SUBARU IMPREZA via Auto Trader http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...?atmobcid=soc4

Like this
Old 02 February 2014, 05:27 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

ok, so you are after a Classic, it's just the photo you posted is of the Ultimate classic (22B)
Old 02 February 2014, 05:41 PM
Scooby_MikeR
Scooby Newbie

Sorry pretty new to impreza's, please feel free to educate me.
Old 02 February 2014, 06:04 PM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

Firstly are you after a UK spec car, or an import? If you're after a 2 door, then you'll be limited to the Type-R which is Japanese spec only (and may affect your insurance). If you're after a 4-door, then you have a choice... UK cars tend to be more rust resistant (as they are usually undersealed from new), where as the Japanese spec models offer more variation (two models, the WRX and the higher performance STI).
Old 02 February 2014, 06:06 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

You're keen n pre 2001 reg cars

your choices are

2dr
4dr
Wagon

UK spec: Turbo 2000
JDM Imports: WRX, or WRX STi (each have RA variants too), JDM 2 doors are called Type R

Last edited by riiidaa; 02 February 2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02 February 2014, 06:13 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Check insurance before you buy.
Old 02 February 2014, 06:14 PM
swaynie
Scooby Regular

In the classic Subaru world 2 door coupes are expensive especially a 22B theres one on ebay ATM for £30,000

You should be able to pick up a nice import for 2.5k or a nice 2000 model turbo UK. The white one you posted is nice but has issues, the spoiler does not sit flush with the boot lid and its not a "replica" as it doesn't have the STI 5 seats or alloys and probably not even the suspension and engine bits. Avoid any car with "replica" in the title mainly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/98-S-SUBAR...item3cdbb7b81e
Old 02 February 2014, 06:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

OP,

Do yourself a favour and read this forum thororughly. Learn about the different models and various modifications people do and work out what you want for your budget. The classic shape whislt the most iconic is not without its issues i.e. rust in the rear arches on a lot of them now.

If you learn more about what you want then you stand a better chance of not making a mistake buying one that is not right for you or full of issues.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 02 February 2014, 09:15 PM
Scooby_MikeR
Scooby Newbie

Any particular topics I should read? I'll have a good scout through the forum in the week, I'm in no rush, I like to research a car before buying
Old 02 February 2014, 09:59 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby_MikeR
Any particular topics I should read? I'll have a good scout through the forum in the week, I'm in no rush, I like to research a car before buying
Just have a look in the gallery as there are threads in there for the different models and then just use the search on those models you like to see what they are about.

Classic shapes are offered in many different models. The two doors command a premium over the 4 doors in general and then there are UK cars and Japanese imports which are usually STIs and then there are special editions like the P1, the RB5, the series McRae etc. All offer different experiences and obviously command different prices and insurance premiums.

Given your budget you are really going to be looking at UK 4 doors unless you can find a bit more money. The key is to buy one that is in good shape rust wise and has been looked after AND have the budget to look after it yourself. Don't get tempted by heavily modified cars unless the modifications are from a respectable source as these can cost a fortune if they are done badly. Also you will see cars advertised with minimal mods making claims of 350hp... again stay away... sadly there are few idiots driving and selling Scoobs these days!

Better to find a well maintained lowish mleage (under 100K) car with an enthusiast owener or that even rarer of beasts a one owner completely standard car that has been in the same family since being bought new.

Feel free to ask questions, but try the search first as a lot of questions have been asked many times. Also if you find a car you are going to look at post it up on here and ask for opinions as there is a wealth of knowledge in the regular posters and we like nothing more than looking at Scoobs and inspecting the ads

Last edited by f1_fan; 02 February 2014 at 10:01 PM.