It's hard work buying a Subaru WRX

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2014, 07:11 PM
kdh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's hard work buying a Subaru WRX

I'm looking for a fairly standard-looking WRX for around £4000. Bright
Blue with the bigger headlights. I'm in the South East near Tunbridge Wells and every car I find is either Up North or Scotland.

Also, they seem to sell within a couple of days. I thought there was a recession on.

There are a couple of dealers down here with silver ones but all over 100,000 miles and not a lot of service history.

Anyone got anything enthusiast owned and looked after? Thanks.

Last edited by kdh; 30 January 2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 30 January 2014, 07:17 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Sometimes to get the right one you do have to travel. I found my Spec D on Autotrader. I expanded my search and it came up in Falkirk in Scotland.

Minter. Flew up on Easyjet and drove it 450 miles back home !
Old 30 January 2014, 07:36 PM
kdh
Scooby Regular

I hear what you're saying. But throughout my car buying life (which is long) I've had too many disappointments and promised myself never to waste too much time again travelling miles to see cars which aren't as described.

However...having said that, you boys on here seem like true enthusiasts who know and look after your cars, so I may be persuaded to travel if I can find the passport.

Last edited by kdh; 30 January 2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 30 January 2014, 07:42 PM
Dan wrx
Scooby Regular

Shame your not in the market for a classic, my mates selling a RB5 with,a few mods on it for 4k, really nice motor aswell
Old 30 January 2014, 07:43 PM
Dan wrx
Scooby Regular

And we're right on your doorstep, (eastbourne)
Old 30 January 2014, 07:47 PM
JDM_333
Scooby Regular

I believe as I think anybody should, travel shouldn't be an issue if you are aiming to get a car with the exact spec and condition you want.

Limiting your search radius is in my opinion pretty lazy and half hearted, travel shouldn't be an issue whatever the marque - with cars further away just make sure you get more pics, even video if you want, the technology is there to aid in this.
Old 30 January 2014, 07:52 PM
kdh
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dan...Eastbourne is good...just not after a classic I'm afraid.

JDM - just read your post. I'm not lazy. A bit half-hearted (cynical) maybe.

I went to see one the other day, 20 miles away, advertised by a trader, described as mint, two owners, FSH, enthusiast owned etc.

Had pictures sent over and details before I left etc.

Got there and there were dents in it that weren't in the pictures, wheels were kerbed, tyres and carpets were full of mud, there was NO service history after 2010, no cam belt history, 3 owners and it had a really horribly boomy exhaust note that went through your head when you were driving it.

If I'd have travelled to Scotland in good faith to see that, I wouldn't have bought the car for half the advertised price and I would have been seriously pissed off for wasting a long day and a horrible experience on Sleazyjet.

The dealer said 'well make an offer' and I couldn't, it was that bad. The 'make me an offer' thing was his way of softening the blow (that I was about to give him,ha)

So I'm a bit wary about travelling a long way. I really have better things to do and I hate meeting idiots.

Last edited by kdh; 30 January 2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 30 January 2014, 08:01 PM
Dan wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kdh
Thanks Dan...Eastbourne is good...just not after a classic I'm afraid.

JDM - just read your post. I'm not lazy.

I went to see one the other day, 20 miles away, advertised by a trader, described as mint, two owners, FSH, enthusiast owned etc.

Had pictures sent over and details before I left etc.

Got there and there were dents in it that weren't in the pictures, wheels were kerbed, tyres and carpets were full of mud, there was NO service history after 2010, no cam belt history, 3 owners and it had a really horribly boomy exhaust note that went through your head when you were driving it.

If I'd have travelled to Scotland in good faith to see that, I wouldn't have bought the car for half the advertised price. The dealer said 'well make an offer' and I couldn't, it was that bad. So I'm a bit wary about travelling a long way (also from buying from Dealers).
No worries mate, if you change your mind pm me and ill pm you ebay details as it don't think I'm allowed to put a link up here, it has the 2.5 forged engine aswell, it is a beast. Anyway good luck with your search
Old 30 January 2014, 08:37 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

I bought my uk300 from maidstone lol

Might be for sale soon too!
Old 30 January 2014, 08:46 PM
kdh
Scooby Regular

Thanks, what's a uk300 and is it for sale or not?
Old 30 January 2014, 08:52 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

Like the one you posted above, but with different spoiler, wheels, interior and head lamps.

Google impreza uk300 as i cant post pics for some reason!

Mine has full subaru service history, recon api engine 24k miles ago (receipt for £3500 etc)
Currently on 81600. Pm me if your interested and ill get you some pics accross
Old 30 January 2014, 09:40 PM
User 21721
Scooby Regular

Here's one but its the 2004 shape:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-SUBAR...item2588fb01b6

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.
Old 30 January 2014, 10:01 PM
kdh
Scooby Regular

Many thanks, that looks good value from a dealer.
Old 30 January 2014, 11:55 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kdh
Many thanks, that looks good value from a dealer.
In Bradford.
Old 31 January 2014, 09:27 AM
GaryH1981
Scooby Newbie

I picked up my '04 blobeye for £4,350 with about 70k on it, more or less standard bar the Scorpion backbox. Bugs go for around £2500 - £3500 over here
Old 31 January 2014, 09:47 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

£4k should take you onto tidy Blob WRX PPP 80k miles territory, you just have to be patient and wait for the right car, watch the for sale section, you may even pick up a Bug STI for another grand, as above you may have to travel or get them to meet you part way, with the proviso that it's EXACTLY as described.

I travelled to Bristol for my old Forester stb, two trains and a couple of cab rides from Nottingham, but it was worth it in the end, 2yrs faultless ownership and made £100 quid when I sold it, which was about what it cost to get there and half way back.
Old 31 January 2014, 10:00 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
£4k should take you onto tidy Blob WRX PPP 80k miles territory, you just have to be patient and wait for the right car, watch the for sale section, you may even pick up a Bug STI for another grand, as above you may have to travel or get them to meet you part way, with the proviso that it's EXACTLY as described.

I travelled to Bristol for my old Forester stb, two trains and a couple of cab rides from Nottingham, but it was worth it in the end, 2yrs faultless ownership and made £100 quid when I sold it, which was about what it cost to get there and half way back.
My 05 Blobeye WRX set me back £4750 back in August last year.
Only 57k on the clock though when I bought it. A bit of a lack of service history before 30k (previous owner lost service wallet and dealer has since gone bust!) and the bodywork and wheels needed a bit of tidying. I guess I have spent £5500 on her now but she is totally mint.
Old 31 January 2014, 10:26 AM
kdh
Scooby Regular

Thanks for replies so far.

Are any variants more desirable - I didn't know there were Blob eyes and Bug eyes.
Old 31 January 2014, 10:51 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gear Head
My 05 Blobeye WRX set me back £4750 back in August last year.
Only 57k on the clock though when I bought it. A bit of a lack of service history before 30k (previous owner lost service wallet and dealer has since gone bust!) and the bodywork and wheels needed a bit of tidying. I guess I have spent £5500 on her now but she is totally mint.
Mine was £4k 2yrs ago Wagon ppp and AP4 pots, no certificate full history 92k and not mint, couple of scuffs on the bumpers, but I wasn't worried because it was all reflected in the price, front and rear brakes were almost new, needed a set of tyres too but I had some in the garage so no big deal.

I've spent nothing on it bar oil changes and a 20 quid rad hose in 10k miles, it's a daily hack not a cherished possession, so it will stay as it is until I sell it for around £3k and pinch the brakes off it for my Type R.

Opps forgot to add: bushes,camber bolts and geo set up so I have spent about £100 on that

Last edited by ditchmyster; 31 January 2014 at 10:54 AM.