Sponsored by:

home cctv.........advise please

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2014, 09:32 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default home cctv.........advise please

Right then,some **** keeps letting their dog crap on our driveway right between my scoob and the Mrs car.im ****ing livid as this is disgusting. My Mrs has talked me out of battering every dog walker in hinckley half to death so i'm considering a home cctv system.

I don't wanna spend loads so just a basic system will do,maybe a camera that i can mount on the inside of my windows on the ledge?

Any ideas and advice please peeps

Cheers

Matt

Last edited by the shreksta; 28 January 2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 28 January 2014, 09:59 PM
sean999
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mate, have a look at "guard cam" just google it, I have a mate who has had his car damaged a couple of times by idiots on their way home from the pub. im going to fit it for him in a week or so. its basically a security light, like the PIR ones you have in your garden. thing is with this it runs leds, so doesn't use loads of electric, it has a memory card (sd) built into it, its set up similar to a security light, ie, low long you want the light on for, daytime or night time setting. as soon as it detects motion near to your car the light will come on and it will start to record. sounds a good bit of kit. with the light coming on as it records your going to see who it is, not just some shadow in the dark. im not technical, but you have to pair the sd card to your computer and the images then transfer to your pc. it comes in different specs so you can have one that has several different audible warnings. think my mate reckoned he paid about £78 of ebay for it. doddle to wire up, just need a permanent live , neutral and earth. take about a hour to install on average.
might sort your problem for you, cheaply and with minimal install hassle
Old 28 January 2014, 10:22 PM
sean999
Scooby Regular

additionally if you opted for a traditional cctv system, there is no additional lighting so you are reliant on street lighting, so in reality any images will be poor quality and dark.. if you went infa red, that gets expensive. I've read up on the guard cam, everything is displayed on images with time and date etc and as mentioned you have solved the problem with bad lighting.
another issue with a normal cctv camera is that you sometimes find other people on the street moaning that the camera is pointing at their house etc, as guard cam looks like a security light its decrete
Old 28 January 2014, 10:58 PM
Adscoob
Scooby Regular

Guard cam are a good idea. fitted one when they had just come out 2-3 years ago. only draw backs are fiddly to get info/recordings from and bit of a pain to set up if i remember right. another option is a watchbot wireless camera, can set this straight up to your wifi to watch remotely. cheaper than a wired system and portable too.
Old 28 January 2014, 11:02 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

Deffo not a fox as they can lay some big turds!

You can get some things with a tripwire connected to a spring action mechanism that fires off a blank shot gun cartridge.

I think they are illegal if you put a sign up, but the landmine version might be lol
Old 29 January 2014, 07:45 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Cheers for the input lads

Regarding the guard cam how do you retrieve the footage from it? I want something quick and simple ideally
Old 29 January 2014, 08:19 AM
Adscoob
Scooby Regular

Need a USB card reader for guard cam I think and plug it in to computer
Old 29 January 2014, 08:24 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Im not one for hurting animals but a chicken sandwhich with half a laxotive will go down a treat. And their house will be full of ****e.
Old 29 January 2014, 08:33 AM
NuNu9977
Scooby Regular

http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.co...ewood/home.php

Take a look around this site. Quite reasonable plus quick delivery
Old 29 January 2014, 08:42 AM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

An ip camera is good and cheap, I have a tenvis one it emails pictures of any activity and can record direct to a nas drive or pc.
Old 29 January 2014, 08:50 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the heads up. I'll take the dog elsewhere for its morning poo from now on
Old 29 January 2014, 09:34 AM
scoobyman2007
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi mate try a Swann CCTV set I have a set and are top and do not cost a lot to mate
Old 29 January 2014, 10:01 AM
sean999
Scooby Regular

from what I've read up on the guard cam has the sd memory card that plugs into the unit itself, theres a cover/flap that is waterproof and removed by an allen key. once removed it just needs to be paired to your computer. im sure there's a little device that you plug the sd card into that has usb on the other end. simples!

I suppose the only ball ache would be needing to get the steps out each time you wanted to remove the card to see whats recorded. but once set up, you could leave it a week and see whats captured. as said, it only records when the pir is triggered so its not like there will be hours to view
Old 30 January 2014, 11:04 PM
Jeem
Scooby Regular

I bought CCTV from Aban technology on eBay also have there own website, 4 x sony 700tvl bullet CCTV cameras an a 1000 GB harddrive recorder kit for £300 an a 17" computer monitor from a local PC repair shop for £15, braw bit of kit clear in day an clear at nite with its infra red, forgot to say motion detector mode is a pain in the *** it picks up on the shadow of a cloud crossing your drive way but doesn't always pick up on others, I have mine running on 24hr record there's enough room on the hard drive for a couple months footage an when space runs out it just starts over-righting, theres a USB port to store any footage onto another device an you can connect to the net an get an app to watch the cameras live from your iphone

Last edited by Jeem; 30 January 2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 30 January 2014, 11:14 PM
tarquin crispin
Scooby Regular

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/categor...10.7,cos_1.9.1