eBay Scammer - Niki Dell - whodareswins.11

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2014, 09:48 AM
Davros 1979
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default eBay Scammer - Niki Dell - whodareswins.11

Hi all,

I have been scammed on eBay so thought I would share the details in the hope that no one else gets caught out by them as eBay are no help at all.

On the 26/11/13 I sell a set of ARP headstuds for £184, positive feedback left by the buyer 27/11/13.

On the 20/12/13 I get this email:

"hi. just got a phone call from the guy that's building my engine and he said im a washer, nut and stud short and that there should be 12.. When I recived them I counted 11 in there but thought I only needed 10 and that they give you a spare but what do I no. If you could pop it in the post asap as is holding him up. Many thanks"

I contact ARP who tell me that each box is weighed to make sure that this cant happen. Each box has the date, weight, batch number ect stamped onto the box and is checked as part of their QC procedures. Conveniently the buyer has thrown the box away!

As further proof that the box was complete I have the postage receipt proving the weight of the package when it left me. This weight is consistent with all of the other sets I have sold previously.

Buyer then opens a case, eBay advises buyer to send back the package for a full refund. Buyer returns standard head studs that are completely worthless but because he provides proof of postage eBay refund him in full from my account. I appeal the case telling eBay that I have proof the original box was intact and that the buyer has sent me back basically rubbish and they uphold the original decision!

So basically I lose £184 and am now the owner of 11 standard used head studs to use as paper weights!

Dave
Old 13 January 2014, 09:55 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear this Dave.
Trouble is it's too easy to run a scam like this if you're inclined that way.
Apart from you putting in a personal appearance at the fellas front door there's almost no chance to put things right. I feel your pain.
Old 13 January 2014, 09:58 AM
SAM-UK300
Scooby Regular

This is why Ebay is ****e
Old 13 January 2014, 10:01 AM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

that sucks, I feel that ebay shouldn't allow cases to be raised after feedback has been left. That why I always wait a short while before I leave feedback for others, so I can make sure that I'm satisfied with the item
Old 13 January 2014, 10:03 AM
Davros 1979
Scooby Regular

Exactly this. I cant believe how easy it has been for him to rob me.

eBay's resolution centre and appeals process seems totally automated. Even when you call them they are worse than useless.

Originally Posted by Blue by You
Sorry to hear this Dave.
Trouble is it's too easy to run a scam like this if you're inclined that way.
Apart from you putting in a personal appearance at the fellas front door there's almost no chance to put things right. I feel your pain.
Old 13 January 2014, 10:58 AM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Small claims court?
Old 13 January 2014, 11:01 AM
Stig67
Scooby Regular

On the 26/11/13 I sell a set of ARP headstuds for £184, positive feedback left by the buyer 27/11/13

how did he open a case after he left feedback
Old 13 January 2014, 11:04 AM
Davros 1979
Scooby Regular

Just looking into that.

Originally Posted by TimH
Small claims court?
Old 13 January 2014, 11:04 AM
Davros 1979
Scooby Regular

Apparently there is nothing to stop you doing that.

Originally Posted by Stig67
On the 26/11/13 I sell a set of ARP headstuds for £184, positive feedback left by the buyer 27/11/13

how did he open a case after he left feedback
Old 13 January 2014, 11:32 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

So he has them for nearly a month and then says that one is missing? I would contact eBay and threaten to send them the bill or take them to court.

I reckon the builder either snapped a stud or as you say, the buyer is trying to scam you.
Old 13 January 2014, 11:57 AM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

Ffs that is crap, hope you sort something.
Old 13 January 2014, 12:07 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

There are forums now to help out people who have been burned on eBay, it seems sellers are getting de-frauded more than buyers these days.

eBay themselves are possibly the worse offender of screwing people over.

Such a sorry state of a country we live in now.
Old 13 January 2014, 12:14 PM
Darrell@Scoobyworx
Authorised Trader

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Intresting read, now im a business user on paypal but i have found them to be great.

I had a buyer purchase a fuel pump on ebay which i posted to Austria to his registered address. Couple of weeks go by and then he mails to say not received. We sent it Royal mail tracked and helpfull guy at royal mail supplied details of how to track RM international signed for in Europe here https://gls-group.eu/EU/en/parcel-tracking royal mails tracking numbers work.

So i tracked to see attempted delivery with the customer and he was carded, he didn't respond to the card so the item was taken to Germany which is the main hub sorting office as Austria apparently doesn't have one.

By this point he has opened a PayPal dispute case. First thing i did was ring business support they checked the tracking details also as they use the same system RM advised me to check on, He saw attempted delivery and parcel was in the hub. He asked me to email a scan of the postage receipt to prove i posted to correct address which i did while on the phone. He received that and advised he was closing the case in my favour as i had sent the item and he was the one not making an effort to receive it.

Been a business and a decent guy i said when closing the case can you advise if it gets returned to sender i will post him it back at my cost. Paypals reply was your are not required to and i cant add the note.

Basically i won the case very easily. Maybe you should call them as it seems to work well.

I then emailed the customer and advise if it did get returned to sender i would post him it out again at my cost to be decent over it as im not trying to rip him off.

Still not had the pump back and he still emails asking for a replacement sending and refuses to call the number on the "while you were out card"

I assume he may have the pump and is just trying for a second one maybe.
Old 13 January 2014, 12:28 PM
Davros 1979
Scooby Regular

Yeah I think a stud was threaded or just plain lost. As if ARP would give a spare on such an expensive item!

Originally Posted by Gear Head
So he has them for nearly a month and then says that one is missing? I would contact eBay and threaten to send them the bill or take them to court.

I reckon the builder either snapped a stud or as you say, the buyer is trying to scam you.
Old 13 January 2014, 12:29 PM
Davros 1979
Scooby Regular

Paypal and eBay are the same company. They refuse to help. The only proof they require is that the buyer sent something back. As long as they have that its job done as far as they are concerned.

Originally Posted by Darrell@Scoobyworx
Intresting read, now im a business user on paypal but i have found them to be great.

I had a buyer purchase a fuel pump on ebay which i posted to Austria to his registered address. Couple of weeks go by and then he mails to say not received. We sent it Royal mail tracked and helpfull guy at royal mail supplied details of how to track RM international signed for in Europe here https://gls-group.eu/EU/en/parcel-tracking royal mails tracking numbers work.

So i tracked to see attempted delivery with the customer and he was carded, he didn't respond to the card so the item was taken to Germany which is the main hub sorting office as Austria apparently doesn't have one.

By this point he has opened a PayPal dispute case. First thing i did was ring business support they checked the tracking details also as they use the same system RM advised me to check on, He saw attempted delivery and parcel was in the hub. He asked me to email a scan of the postage receipt to prove i posted to correct address which i did while on the phone. He received that and advised he was closing the case in my favour as i had sent the item and he was the one not making an effort to receive it.

Been a business and a decent guy i said when closing the case can you advise if it gets returned to sender i will post him it back at my cost. Paypals reply was your are not required to and i cant add the note.

Basically i won the case very easily. Maybe you should call them as it seems to work well.

I then emailed the customer and advise if it did get returned to sender i would post him it out again at my cost to be decent over it as im not trying to rip him off.

Still not had the pump back and he still emails asking for a replacement sending and refuses to call the number on the "while you were out card"

I assume he may have the pump and is just trying for a second one maybe.
Old 13 January 2014, 01:09 PM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Davros 1979
Apparently there is nothing to stop you doing that.
Something to be aware of is that you can open a case in paypal and you won't get notified if you dont log into paypal. If you don't respond it's decided in the buyers favour! Theres no notification from ebay either.
Old 13 January 2014, 01:14 PM
Davros 1979
Scooby Regular

Dont suppose you are interested in 11 standard used head studs are you? Might come in useful on a build.

Originally Posted by wms-racing
Something to be aware of is that you can open a case in paypal and you won't get notified if you dont log into paypal. If you don't respond it's decided in the buyers favour! Theres no notification from ebay either.
Old 13 January 2014, 01:45 PM
Darrell@Scoobyworx
Authorised Trader

Originally Posted by wms-racing
You get an email the second a case is opened. Only way you don't is if they don't have your up to date email
Old 13 January 2014, 07:10 PM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

Default ebay scams ..........

sorry to read the above, there are some real crappy people about these days, I had this happen to me , sold a very expensive item and was returned with a big crack in it, im pretty certain the item was swapped there end for the broken unit, but I hadn't taken record of the id bar code on said unit. very clever ! but very dum. these people are simply criminals going about there day to day planned scams. normally unhappy people and not the kind of people u would want to know. but as they say ! what goes around comes around......
Old 14 January 2014, 12:42 PM
bigphilbaby
Scooby Regular

i had simlaer case, fight it, ring them and also contract finaincial odbunsman(however you spell it lol), ebay **** themselves right away, i had a refund of 500 pound after i got them involved, end of the day they not returned what you sent, you need send them a pic of the wrong parts sent back
Old 14 January 2014, 01:04 PM
Darrell@Scoobyworx
Authorised Trader

Originally Posted by bigphilbaby
i had simlaer case, fight it, ring them and also contract finaincial odbunsman(however you spell it lol), ebay **** themselves right away, i had a refund of 500 pound after i got them involved, end of the day they not returned what you sent, you need send them a pic of the wrong parts sent back
100% agree

E bay and PayPal advise you that their decision is final, i assure you its not. Financial Ombudsman have the last say.
Old 14 January 2014, 01:10 PM
Davros 1979
Scooby Regular

Not a route I had thought of. I will look into it. Thanks for the help.
Old 14 January 2014, 01:46 PM
Davros 1979
Scooby Regular

OK I have raised a case with the financial ombudsman against Paypal.

You cant raise a case against eBay as they are not a financial company.

Paypal have 8 weeks to respond to the FO. If they dont I can pass it to the FO to progress further.

Also rung Paypal, they are not interested in helping as eBay resolved it.
Old 14 January 2014, 01:54 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Have you got a link to the seller?
Old 14 January 2014, 01:58 PM
Davros 1979
Scooby Regular

Seller is me. Buyer is:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/whodareswins.11

Why?

Last edited by Davros 1979; 14 January 2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 14 January 2014, 03:09 PM
bigphilbaby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Darrell@Scoobyworx
100% agree

E bay and PayPal advise you that their decision is final, i assure you its not. Financial Ombudsman have the last say.

thats how you spell it lol i even had compo of 50 pound too lol
Old 31 January 2014, 10:23 AM
Davros 1979
Scooby Regular

Well that got me no where either! Paypal's response to the Financial Ombudsman case:

As this claim was filed through eBay’s dispute system, PayPal has no control over the outcome of this claim.

The Financial Ombudsman wont help me with a case against eBay as they are not a financial company!
Old 31 January 2014, 10:29 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Well that got me no where either! Paypal's response to the Financial Ombudsman case:

As this claim was filed through eBay’s dispute system, PayPal has no control over the outcome of this claim.

The Financial Ombudsman wont help me with a case against eBay as they are not a financial company!
Sorry to hear that fella. Not sure what else to suggest. Ebay and Paypal are the same company as far as I know. May be it is time to get a solicitors letter drafted.
Old 31 January 2014, 10:45 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

And yet PP is an eBay company!
Sounds like Catch22 to me
Old 31 January 2014, 01:53 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Sorry to hear that fella. Not sure what else to suggest. Ebay and Paypal are the same company as far as I know. May be it is time to get a solicitors letter drafted.

Aye - Paypal should be answerable as their ties with eBay and its decision making processes means there is a conflict of interest in making a decision. The Ombusdsman should be the mediator....not eBay as they have vested interests, and a letter to the ombudsman citing this conflict of interest should be given, and saying that the Ombudsman should re-review it. (albeit in better worded and more concise legal speak).

i.e financially, its not in Paypal's best interest to give refunds as they'd make a loss. And its using its partner company 'eBay' as a mediator to circumvent their responsibilities to the FSA. Thats a conflict of interest IMHO.

Quick Reply: eBay Scammer - Niki Dell - whodareswins.11