Sponsored by:

House hit by lightening

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2014, 06:28 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default House hit by lightening

Well I don't know how your evenings are going but **** me I've never ever heard such a loud bang in my life as I experienced this eve for those of you who've been to Santa pod and seen the jet car, it would drown that out beyond belief my mrs jumped a country mile, the dog literally froze and hit the deck and I just kinda froze. Had to go and check wtf had gone on to find this

To say it was shock is an understatement, there was a lady in the house with a 18month child who wasn't even aware it had struck her roof! **** me I could feel it the street behind, fair play to the traffic who ran and banged the rear of the house to get them out. Nobody was hurt but jees it makes you think sometimes! I have staff members who have been evacuated from there homes, some who can't leave because the river is about to pop, it's bloody mental!

So how's the weather with you guys around the country, as mad as here
Old 03 January 2014, 06:52 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Incredible pics of the roof on fire there mate, glad no one was hurt. Hope no one is hurt by the continuing weather, I'm sure you've seen all the highest alert weather warnings.

I was in my Clio RS back in 2011, driving along slowly on the M61 due to spray. Suddenly there's an enormous flash and bang at the same time and the car cuts out, continues rolling. So I turned it off and back on again and carried on, ears ringing.

Pretty sure that was a direct hit!
Old 03 January 2014, 08:00 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Yea it's pretty shìt here at the min, winds howling, driving rain, it's not the greatest

That bloody lightening strike has taken most peoples routers out and everyone in my street with cordless phones who I've spoken to have also stopped working along with sky boxes and all sorts, only reason mine is still working is because i was in the middle of swapping living rooms and had everything unplugged at the time, how glad am I! I've just touched the aerial cables from the dish to connect them back to the box and it just gave me a decent shock lol!It was help of a belt mind, I mean really bad, and whilst I'm typing this another flash of lightening and bang the powers gone out good job I've got good cell coverage and an In car charger
Old 03 January 2014, 08:05 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

**** a brick Craig, that was too close for comfort..! That's about when the electric went off up here..!
Old 03 January 2014, 08:45 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Just a bit Lee literally look out my door and there is the house at the end of the street.

Bonkers pal
Old 03 January 2014, 08:58 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I left for work at 5am this morning and there was an almighty bolt of lightning which lit up the whole sky for what seemed like seconds, then the inevitable clap of thunder.

I walked outside to leave and half of the town looked like it had lost electricity, in fact no street lighting or houses with lights on etc could be seen on my journey to get onto the M4.

I'm positive there was a direct strike on an electricity substation local to me.

But that direct strike you've shown there Craig is bonkers.
Old 04 January 2014, 01:01 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

It was as you described Ty, massive flash and an almighty bang.

It was strange as out the front window was blueish and the rear was black, it started raining for maybe 30 secs and I mean pelting it down then no signs of any thunder and CRASH, no time between flash and the bang, and as soon as it happened it was over rain stopped and it cleared up a bit, crazy
Old 04 January 2014, 01:14 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Looking out for you Craig M8, and all living in low-lying areas.

Flood in Govilon/Llanfoist robbed me of my front NP yesterday, nothing in comparison to you all.

Fellow SN member and his wife (visiting Swansea for Christmas etc) got out of Wales at the right time.

Stay safe bwyty, and to all SN members at this time.
Old 04 January 2014, 08:46 PM
lineker13
Scooby Regular

I live a few miles from where this happened and saw the almighty flash. My 10 year old boy was playing on his Xbox when it happened. He came tearing down the stairs crying and saying his ears were tingling. He's got a Turtle Beach headset that uses electricity from the Xbox to power them. I've never been so scared for his safety in my life and I unplugged all the electrics straight away.

Last edited by lineker13; 04 January 2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08 January 2014, 09:29 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Spoke to a bt guy today and a sky engineer, they said they been flat out up here over the last few days changing all the bt main incoming boxes as most of them were fried, and sky guy has been called to look at boxes all suffering the same problem ( didn't comment on what ) but did say a lot of people are unfortunate as they are out if warranty and sky won't replace items, no change there then!
Old 08 January 2014, 09:44 PM
redwards
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
I left for work at 5am this morning and there was an almighty bolt of lightning which lit up the whole sky for what seemed like seconds, then the inevitable clap of thunder.

I walked outside to leave and half of the town looked like it had lost electricity, in fact no street lighting or houses with lights on etc could be seen on my journey to get onto the M4.

I'm positive there was a direct strike on an electricity substation local to me.

But that direct strike you've shown there Craig is bonkers.
That one killed the power to my village and my router!!! Credit where it's due though, the power company had it back on in an hour.