Sponsored by:

bugeye sti

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2014, 12:09 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bugeye sti

hello again,first of all happy new year.looking for some advice.i have been offerd a bugeye impreza sti plus 3k cash for my 2010 astra vxr.im a massive fan of the imprezas and the cash would also help as im buying a house.the impreza has done double the miles my vxr has done but the vxr's prices are dropping again.my mate currently has the sti so i know its in fairly good shape,it has the usual mods,exhaust/induction/fmic and believe its been remapped.it pulls pretty hard.obvious signs it needs some minor cosmetic touch ups,it needs new clocks(from kph to mph)as its currently in cyprus.and also when you pull away slowly/either left or right there sounds like a clunking noise from the rear.is that normal??so i guess my questions are,do you think its worth it?is the clunking noise from the rear minor or major?where can i get replacement mph clocks from?and its also missing some centre caps from the gold wheels but i fancy black wheels anyways.

sti bugeye/2001-2002/approx 80000 miles
astra vxr/2010/35000miles

any advice welcome.happy new year,ryan
Old 01 January 2014, 12:16 PM
palma0778
Scooby Regular

Why the hell you wanna swap 2010 vxr for 12-13 years old bug sti,with double miles then yours?
Old 01 January 2014, 12:17 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

something different.its the last of the old shape vxr's
Old 01 January 2014, 12:21 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

How much is the VXR worth?
Old 01 January 2014, 12:22 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

uk prices around 8/8.5k for a 2010 vxr with 35000 on the clock.he has offerd me the bugeye sti plus 3k cash
Old 01 January 2014, 12:29 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

bug,s prob worth 4.5-5k so probably fair enough with the 3k on top. but.......ive just bought a 2002 bug sti roughly the same miles on and its in good order but they are getting to the age now where bits might start needing replaced. the knocking from the rear will be the shocks, they are well known for it and will need replaced so factor that into the costs. replace them with kyb ultra or similar.
Old 01 January 2014, 12:29 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

No, the clunking isnt normal......Id be getting that checked out first, or atleast having him check it out.

Would i do the deal if I was in your shoes??....probably not unless I was looking to unlock some of the money i had tied up in the VXR.
Old 01 January 2014, 12:34 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

could the clunking be caused by the diff?
Old 01 January 2014, 12:40 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

cheers for the replys.got a lot of thinking to do.massive fan of the scoobys and ive owned my vxr for nearly 4 years from brand new its a decent car and has been tuned up nicely.just allways thinking about a change.just dont want something thats gona cost me more in the long run when the money should be going into the house.this car is fairly clean and i know the previous 2 owners,my big thing is the milage over the age and the clunking noise from the rear!cheers
Old 01 January 2014, 12:48 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

i never said the clunking was normal i said IF it was the shocks it was a common known fault. vx sounds like a nice car bud and subaru,s do need money thrown at them with servicing regularly, oil changes every 3-5k and if the modding bug bites hard then your in trouble! think it through bud im sure you,ll make the right choice.
Old 01 January 2014, 12:51 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

how much would it cost to maintain the scooby?
Old 01 January 2014, 01:10 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

depends how you drive it really bud? they need good oil for starters millers is what i use http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ check out there for prices. a genuine oil filter too. brake pads for the brembos again depends on driving style and what kind of pads you want to use. also get a k&n or green panel filter which can be washed and re-used. pfr7b spark plugs are around 40 quid but are good plugs. put the foot down on a regular basis and you will visit petrol stations...a lot! mine is a daily driver and its fine, granted i only drive around 5 miles to work but if you can temper the desire to have fun all the time they can be ok on fuel especially if its been mapped the economy does improve.
Old 01 January 2014, 01:21 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

cool thanks for all the info mate,part of me wants to say yes part of be is reluctant to let the vxr go.i know the scooby is a bit of a beast,it currently has a japspeed fmic/hks induction/twister exhaust(which is quiet compared to the cobra race on my vxr)a hks bov.has a few other goodys also.i know the oil is changed often.also switchable maps on it.

things i would need to sort

minor cosmetics to bodywork
front splitter has a crack
2 centre caps missing from the wheels
the clunking noise from the rear
new mph clocks to replace the kmh clocks

as far as im aware and can phyically see thats all thats wrong with it,i know its going in for a service again this week. choices choices.thanks again,ryan.
Old 01 January 2014, 01:26 PM
Ozne
Scooby Regular

Ask for 4k money reference the list you just typed, on things needed to be done. Job is a gooden then!
Old 01 January 2014, 01:32 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

hopefully its got a folder full of receipts and old mot,s as that inspires confidence its been looked after. also check for the timing belt having been changed and it might be due again soon as well which isnt cheap. normally when the belt is done the idlers and tensioners get done too if they are worn and that could end up in the region of 500 quid with labour depending who does it. basically the same rules as with buying any car ryan with a few things subaru specific to look out for ie cam belt change and regular servicing and oil changes. the clunking at the rear is the main thing id want checked. the rest is cosmetic etc. as i said it COULD be the sti shockers knocking its a known fault on the inverted struts the grease dries up inside them and they knock about inside. but it could be something else so have it checked. best of luck to you m8
Old 01 January 2014, 01:38 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

thats brilliant mate,cheers for all the advice.greatly appreciated.happy new year mate.
Old 01 January 2014, 02:08 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Silly question but why does it need new clocks? has somebody been running it illegally?

Shaun
Old 01 January 2014, 02:17 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

because i currently live in cyprus so the clocks are n kph
Old 01 January 2014, 02:25 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

would i need to buy new clocks or can i get some mph overlays from ebay?cheers,ryan.
Old 01 January 2014, 08:58 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

So being in Cyprus with KMH dials it is a Jap spec not a EU spec model, so you will have to have it VSA checked and modified prior to import into the UK. Who mapped it in Cyprus?? If the car was new in Cyprus you will need to add underseal prior to bringing it back so it is protected, also the heat in Cyprus will help it dry quicker.
How are you going to bring it back? 10 years ago I shipped my Bug back from Cyprus using Inshcape (?) in Limassol that was £800 ish including getting the car registered and taxed, you will need to have UK insurance from the day it ships as they need the documentation when you hand the car over to get it taxed.
On a plus note I still have mine now with a good few mods done and still love taking it out for a spin, with 108k miles (I bought it NEW with MPH clocks) and 440 bhp still pulling strong.

Personally I would look into getting one on your return to the UK with a full documented service history as I knew of a few suspect practices that went on when I was there. One being to my horror was finding the paint lifting on my bonnet and a rust hole developing on the rear wheel arch. I had left it with someone I thought I could trust to get some work done whilst in the UK for 6 weeks.
Old 01 January 2014, 09:29 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

what is a vsa check?i would induldge it back for free as im military.the previous 2 owners have both been english.the guy who has it now spends a bit keeping it serviced and running nicely.its going in again for an oil change this week.yeh i was assuming it was a jap import,not sure tho.it has been in cyprus quite a while so im assuming duty etc has been paid and would not need paying again to bring it to the uk??it has minor cosmetics that need sorting and im informed the belts/plugs etc have been changed in the last 6 months as everytime my mate gets a new car its in the garage gettin serviced straight away.my only thing is when ive driven it before there seems to be a clunking noise when pulling off or tuning off at a junction low speed.ive not commited to this car as i want to make sure its the right choice.the engine feels strong snd its easily off the clock when ive tested it.as for the remap i could not tell you mate.thanks for your reply,ryan.
Old 01 January 2014, 10:08 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

if the car is over 10 years old does it still have to go through these tests?sure i just read it would not??thanks again,ryan.
Old 01 January 2014, 10:36 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Ryan, I was RAF based at Aki, the VSA is a more thorough MOT. On Jap spec cars a number of things are not upto the standard required for EU/UK, I was advised things like glass for windows, a rear fog light needs fitting and other bits I cannot remember. Have you enquired about indulging your car back, in 2004 when I left a mate (think I got his slot on the boat) cancelled his shipment of his car as he was told no problem getting it flown back. As we taxied off you could see his car sat in the shed waiting to be sent on. Even then you will still have all the paperwork for exporting, importing, registering and taxing the car to sort out. When I was out there the VSA place in Cyprus was in Larnaka. It is definitely researching prior to committing to the car. There are a number of Bugs and later cars in the UK looking for new homes. The best bit for me when I was out there was 98 Ron petrol at 50p per litre!! I did 25K miles in two years out there going all over the southern part of the island. Wish I could take my bug back and have a play due to the upgrades I have done, Troudos would be a great run and a few others I know that I cannot spell. Good luck with which ever route you take.
Steve
Old 01 January 2014, 10:43 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

This is the reason I got a EU spec car not the slightly higher spec Jap import.
Old 01 January 2014, 10:48 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

thats mega,cheers for all that info mate.im up at ay nik.bit of a dump mate,been here 4 years.ill have to do some research and find this place,i dare say its the port in larnaca where i had to take my vxr when it was shipped out.yeh there are some mega roads out here,i actually took the scooby on one the other day all along the west coast back up too troodos,up and down hills with out seeing another car for 3 hours.think the scooby liked it as much as me.ive deffo got a lot to think about.my car value is decreasing all the time when i look on the internet,currently around 8 to 8.5k in the uk i think now.ive been offerd this scooby plus 3k cash which would come in handy as im also looking to buy a house at the minute.im pretty sure the stealers would offer less for it aswell as we all know what there like.id also consider stripping it back to standard as some of the bits on it are worth a bit.ive seen quite a few nice scoobys in the uk but its obviously getting rid of mine first.thanks again mate,ryan.
Old 01 January 2014, 10:54 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

My favourite run was Aki to Nicosia on the dual carriage way for speed. a couple of hours in Nicosia then along the green line through to Kakopetria, up over the top of troudos back down to Limassol or to erimi then back to Aki. A few of us used to go on a road just outside Limassol but cannot remember the name of the town, think I used the vast majority of my fuel and tyres on this stretch of road. When are you due back and any idea where too??
Old 01 January 2014, 11:06 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

im actually leaving the military mate.had enough,i was gona stay out here as my parents have a house in trachoni but i think ill be better based in the uk and with house prices at the minute it seems a good idea.hopefully be back by the summer.the coast road from erimi to paphos is a great road,also good views if your into that.ive noticed there is not much diffrence in the cost between the different shapes and miles back in the uk.except for the dealers!in an ideal world i would prefer the jap spec i think but i guess it all depends on whats availible at the time.cheers,ryan.
Old 01 January 2014, 11:06 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The clunking at the rear could be the rear shocks. Do a search on here as there is a thread about modifying them to add a grease nipple so you can add new grease when they start to clunk due to the grease already there drying out. Before mine started to clunk I had fitted tein coil overs.
Old 01 January 2014, 11:18 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

cool will have a look
Old 02 January 2014, 11:41 AM
bigphilbaby
Scooby Regular

you find it you got your astra vxr to stage 3 you be on par if not quicker than modded scooby. Just need spend few quid on LSD to get the power down, I used to have bugeye sti prodrive(305BHP model) and lost to standard corsa VXR, before anyone says it the driver i race a track car. handling wise there pretty good

Quick Reply: bugeye sti