Sponsored by:

One for the Powder Coaters

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2013, 02:45 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default One for the Powder Coaters

Just wondering if these can be recovered with and acid dip and a powder coat...

I've stripped them off the bottom of my car and they are in a worse state that I had thought. Two of the rose joints are seized but I can get replacements and the other 4 are fine. Also. the 2 rose jointed inserts in the end of the arms that the drop links attach to are pretty solid. I have freed all of the seized joints with plenty of GT85 and some elbow grease, but I expect they'll go again. I can get the inserts pressed out and replace them with a poly bush set up for that arm

Any pointers appreciated.

Cheers

Jon
Old 30 December 2013, 10:51 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Try Bilt Hamber Deox crystals. Best thing to to is strip them down as far as they'll go and then soak them for 48hrs fully submerged. Try freeing off any seized bits in this time and then put back in the solution. The painted parts should be easy to strip with Nitromors for a homebrew refurb or a powdercoater'll be able to acid/media strip them and re-coat for not much money. It'll take a little bit of time but everything'll be good as new. Oh, and you could also get the non painted parts zinc plated if you wanted to keep them moving freely for longer next time.
Old 30 December 2013, 11:16 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheers for that, the rose joints I am going to replace as they're only a tenner each for the 2 seized ones. I need to press the old rose jointed inserts and replace them with ploy bushes. I'll get some rubber boots to protect the non-painted parts and I'll just have to maintain a regime of regular lubing

I'll probably coat the painted parts in nitromors and give it all a going over with a wire brush before dropping them off to my local coaters