Sponsored by:

I'm off to view a classic

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2013, 06:54 PM
swaynie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm off to view a classic

The classic I'm going to view is apparently has PPP on it from factory is there a register or a way of checking if the car came with the PPP pack?
Old 28 November 2013, 07:05 PM
xaviour
Scooby Newbie

My hawk has factory fitted PPP and came with a certificate and receipt for all the bits and pieces and fitting costs. Was just short of 2k. Look for similar and could even check with prodrive if the certificate matches the car.
Old 28 November 2013, 07:14 PM
swaynie
Scooby Regular

Is that the same fir the classic shape?
Old 28 November 2013, 07:48 PM
xaviour
Scooby Newbie

Not an expert but I would guess all factory fitted would come with a certificate of instillation as I imagine Subaru would want to make sure it was fitted properly to keep it in warranty when it still had a warrenty.... Being a manufacturer approved mod and all. I don't see why you wouldn't keep hold of it as a selling point in the future....
Cost wise I think a classic would of cost about 1500 with inflation costs etc.
Give the seller a email or call and ask if they have one!? If you read the forums you can fit all the parts second hand yourself for a lot cheaper but, that won't have a certificate and can you be sure its a prodrive ECU rather than aftermarket!?
Old 28 November 2013, 07:55 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

None of the classics had the PPP fitted at the factory, they either had it fitted after registration by Prodrive or later on in its life by Prodrive.
If its a full Prodrive version car then that would have 0 miles on it, the certificate will show the date and mileage when the pack was fitted.

Tony
Old 28 November 2013, 07:56 PM
xaviour
Scooby Newbie

Just reading up for you, if its factory it will have certificate or stamp in drivers door. Can phone Subaru and ask them as they have a database for PPP. They can also provide certificate if its been lost. If there isnt one, check and if its not on the database its not factory fitted! Hope that helps
Old 28 November 2013, 08:08 PM
swaynie
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. This is what going to Look at it has high miles and no previous hg done and needs the timing belt doing and needs a service. I can't quite see what's in the middle of the dash were the flip compartment
Usually is. It will also needs a standard recirc in my opinion.

Anymore help on this would be great

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...#photo-content

Trending Topics

Old 28 November 2013, 08:20 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Hmmm well my first question would be how much history does it have? A folder full of receipts is great but not if it stops at 100K miles if you see what I mean.

If it needs a full service and the cambelt that is around £500 minimum so you need to add that on and with those sort of miles you will need to see if the clutch has been done and when it was done..... if that is no good that is a big job. Then there are rocker cover gaskets which may need looking at and head gaskets althiugh they are less of a problem on the cars of this vintage. Factor in a few quid to sort out the DV although if it has been mapped for it it will be OK as is, but they usually haven't.

Then there is the dreaded rust. If there is any bubbling on the rear arches whatsoever there will be a lot more underneath.

If it was me I would be looking to spend a little bit more and get something a little bit less leggy with all its history.

Up to you though

Something liek this would be better IMO (now sold this one, but you get the idea):

MY99 Classic for sale

Last edited by f1_fan; 28 November 2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 28 November 2013, 08:51 PM
swaynie
Scooby Regular

That's a stunner mate. The bloke who is selling the car is the owners mechanic as the car went in for standard exhaust putting back on and standard headlights. I've asked for more pictures of the top of the windscreen and arches.

I'm still lolling though not putting all my eggs in ine basket.
Old 28 November 2013, 08:57 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swaynie
That's a stunner mate. The bloke who is selling the car is the owners mechanic as the car went in for standard exhaust putting back on and standard headlights. I've asked for more pictures of the top of the windscreen and arches.

I'm still lolling though not putting all my eggs in ine basket.
No worries, sounds like you know what you are doing

Would be interesting to know what that is on top of the dash. Maybe a data monitor as there used to be a company producing them and they were often mounted there.
Old 28 November 2013, 09:05 PM
swaynie
Scooby Regular

I know some stuff from my Impreza sport days. After driving my golf tdi I want a Impreza again and this time a full fat version.

My old sport was a minter no rust or bubbles anywhere. I miss the old girl.

I,ve asked for more pics of the interior just now so should hopefully get a shot of that on the dash.
Old 29 November 2013, 10:51 PM
swaynie
Scooby Regular

It sold tonight I was unable to view till sunday but you win some you lose some but still on the hunt