Dccd settings?

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2013, 08:58 PM
Gazbaru1980
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dccd settings?

Hi all.

My 2005 sti has the Dccd and im wondering if its best keeping it in Auto or trying to see if the manual mode makes a difference, does manual give any better 0-60 than Auto depending on settings....whats best for off the mark acceleration. .im no boy racer but wondered if its quicker off the mark in manual or Auto depending on the way you set it. My car has 320bhp and its never been clocked for a 0-60 just curious what 0-60 times other 320 owners are getting from 320bhp.

Cheers, Gaz.
Old 29 October 2013, 09:36 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

I was told by a garage recently that keeping it in auto is bad, but thats contrary to alot that I have read. Also Ive started to hear lots of crap coming from this garage, so I dont trust what they say.

Ive also read that it should be kept in open most of the time. As far as 0-60s go, I launched a few times in auto, using torque app the fastest I got was a 5.99, most around 6 and the slowest well over 7.

Stuck the diff to the first green and consistantly got 0-60s of under 4 secs. But I dont know how accurate torque app is. I was being silly though fully expected something to break, but nothing did.

All the banging that goes on turning into streets when the diff is not open or on auto puts me off using it in any other mode.
Old 29 October 2013, 10:12 PM
Gazbaru1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by just me
I was told by a garage recently that keeping it in auto is bad, but thats contrary to alot that I have read. Also Ive started to hear lots of crap coming from this garage, so I dont trust what they say.

Ive also read that it should be kept in open most of the time. As far as 0-60s go, I launched a few times in auto, using torque app the fastest I got was a 5.99, most around 6 and the slowest well over 7.

Stuck the diff to the first green and consistantly got 0-60s of under 4 secs. But I dont know how accurate torque app is. I was being silly though fully expected something to break, but nothing did.

All the banging that goes on turning into streets when the diff is not open or on auto puts me off using it in any other mode.
Yeah I hear a few noises and wondered if it was the suspension knocking? Its an Sti and should of thought in the 4 sec bracket was about right. I had a Clio 182 before and that was about 7secs and the Scooby can do that easily with a crap start lol.
The ppp Sti's are quoted at 4.8 or so and with 320 should be a little lower. My bro has a fiesta st mountune upgraded to 165bhp and my Sti accelerates quicker in 3rd than his does in 2nd.
Old 29 October 2013, 10:43 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

the noises are normal according to the manual, still dont like hearing them though, the kncking from the suspension is usually at the back, have it currently.
Old 29 October 2013, 10:53 PM
Gazbaru1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by just me
the noises are normal according to the manual, still dont like hearing them though, the kncking from the suspension is usually at the back, have it currently.
Its from the front left side I get it but sometimes a noise from the back left side. The previous owner replaced the back shockers just over a yr ago so it would be surprising if they have gone already. Im waiting to put a set of coilovers on so that will solve it if thats the issue.
Old 30 October 2013, 01:37 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Subaru never quite got the standard rear shockers right on the 05 STi, even the revised ones will start to knock again eventually like yours are. Coilovers will solve it, but the ride will be slightly harsher.
Old 30 October 2013, 09:39 AM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

I always run mine in open, I would advice you don't put it to lock and reverse full lock! Not a good feeling
Old 30 October 2013, 09:59 AM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This video shows that off the line, a locked diff produces a better time.

5:00

Old 30 October 2013, 11:01 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

This is a translation of the description of operation of a DCCD transmission as fitted to a 2005 STi. It is taken from the Japanese version of the owner's manual, which apparently includes information omitted from the UK version.

DRIVER'S CONTROL CENTER DIFF
The intent of this mechanism is to adjust the diff lock ratio of the LSD (limited slip differential) as necessary.
Adjusting the dial to "diff free" (indicator: green, empty square, empty triangle) under normal driving conditions, and "diff lock" (bright orange solid triangle) on gravel, snow, in the rain, is effective (probably means suggested). By setting the diff lock ratio as necessary, depending on the various roads and running conditions, unrivalled driving mobility will be demonstrated.

WARNING!
This is not an all purpose vehicle. DO NOT overestimate its abilities. Please use appropriate discretion and drive at safe speeds where there are sudden braking, sudden turns, sudden curbs, snowy roads, slippery roads, etc.

USING THE CONTROL DIAL
The dial is located next to the handbrake lever, rotating it fully forward is diff free, rotating it fully backward is diff lock. You can continuously change the diff lock ratio using the settings in between.
DIFF FREE: No front and rear LSD (Front to rear power distribution=36:64)
DIFF LOCK: The front and rear have an almost direct connection. (Front to rear power distribution=front/rear load distribution)

INDICATOR (ON THE METER DISPLAY)
The diff lock ratio is displayed at one of six settings, as it is linked to the control dial. The upper lighted block (orange solid triangle) indicates a greater direct connection.
The true lock ratio can be continuously changed.

ADVICE
• The indicator is the criterion.
• Regardless of what the dial settings are, LOCK will illuminate for one second after the key is turned to the on position.
• At night, while your driving lights are on, the display may appear to go dark for a moment, but this is normal.

CANCELLATION OF DIFFLOCK
Even if the DCCD is set to LOCK (orange), by pulling the hand brake lever, it will automatically go to DIFF FREE, moving all power to the rear wheels. (Linked to the brake warning light) However, the indicator will not change.
Once you release the hand brake lever, the DCCD will return to its proper setting.

TIGHT CORNER BRAKING PHENOMENON (makes more sense once you read the following)
When the indicator is orange while driving on dry tarmac/asphalt, corners, and even reverse parking, due to the rotational difference between the front and rear wheels, there are cases where heavy vibration and noise may occur during braking.
Though this is not out of the ordinary, and to resolve this "problem", you can simply either set the DCCD to DIFF FREE or pull the hand brake enough so that the brake warning light illuminates.
While you may feel a light "shock" when using the control dial during quick acceleration and tight cornering, due to the movement of the centre diff, this is normal.

WARNING!
• DO NOT use the DCCD while any of the wheels are in mid air.
• Set the DCCD to DIFF FREE while the car is stopped.
• Set the DCCD to DIFF FREE while the car is being pulled or towed. The car can only be towed/pulled either by rope or on a rollback. DO NOT pull or tow the car on only its front or rear wheels. Please see page 195 for more information on warnings related to towing.
• ALWAYS set the DCCD to DIFF FREE when using the emergency spare tire. Change or fix the tire as soon as possible.
• When the centre diff requires repair (control unit, disconnected wires, shorted wires, voltage issues, etc.) the DCCD reverts back to DIFF FREE and the indicator (at which you last had it set) should flash at 1 second intervals. Please go to your nearest Subaru dealer immediately. Once a problem arises, even if the unit regains power, it will not reset itself until the engine key is set to the off position.
Old 30 October 2013, 12:08 PM
the_baz
Scooby Regular

Can someone please tell me what the diff free setting is. To be honest , I dunno if it me being thick but I didn't understand a lot of the explanation lol. I've got a uk hawk sti
Old 30 October 2013, 12:08 PM
Gazbaru1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
This is a translation of the description of operation of a DCCD transmission as fitted to a 2005 STi. It is taken from the Japanese version of the owner's manual, which apparently includes information omitted from the UK version.

DRIVER'S CONTROL CENTER DIFF
The intent of this mechanism is to adjust the diff lock ratio of the LSD (limited slip differential) as necessary.
Adjusting the dial to "diff free" (indicator: green, empty square, empty triangle) under normal driving conditions, and "diff lock" (bright orange solid triangle) on gravel, snow, in the rain, is effective (probably means suggested). By setting the diff lock ratio as necessary, depending on the various roads and running conditions, unrivalled driving mobility will be demonstrated.

WARNING!
This is not an all purpose vehicle. DO NOT overestimate its abilities. Please use appropriate discretion and drive at safe speeds where there are sudden braking, sudden turns, sudden curbs, snowy roads, slippery roads, etc.

USING THE CONTROL DIAL
The dial is located next to the handbrake lever, rotating it fully forward is diff free, rotating it fully backward is diff lock. You can continuously change the diff lock ratio using the settings in between.
DIFF FREE: No front and rear LSD (Front to rear power distribution=36:64)
DIFF LOCK: The front and rear have an almost direct connection. (Front to rear power distribution=front/rear load distribution)

INDICATOR (ON THE METER DISPLAY)
The diff lock ratio is displayed at one of six settings, as it is linked to the control dial. The upper lighted block (orange solid triangle) indicates a greater direct connection.
The true lock ratio can be continuously changed.

ADVICE
• The indicator is the criterion.
• Regardless of what the dial settings are, LOCK will illuminate for one second after the key is turned to the on position.
• At night, while your driving lights are on, the display may appear to go dark for a moment, but this is normal.

CANCELLATION OF DIFFLOCK
Even if the DCCD is set to LOCK (orange), by pulling the hand brake lever, it will automatically go to DIFF FREE, moving all power to the rear wheels. (Linked to the brake warning light) However, the indicator will not change.
Once you release the hand brake lever, the DCCD will return to its proper setting.

TIGHT CORNER BRAKING PHENOMENON (makes more sense once you read the following)
When the indicator is orange while driving on dry tarmac/asphalt, corners, and even reverse parking, due to the rotational difference between the front and rear wheels, there are cases where heavy vibration and noise may occur during braking.
Though this is not out of the ordinary, and to resolve this "problem", you can simply either set the DCCD to DIFF FREE or pull the hand brake enough so that the brake warning light illuminates.
While you may feel a light "shock" when using the control dial during quick acceleration and tight cornering, due to the movement of the centre diff, this is normal.

WARNING!
• DO NOT use the DCCD while any of the wheels are in mid air.
• Set the DCCD to DIFF FREE while the car is stopped.
• Set the DCCD to DIFF FREE while the car is being pulled or towed. The car can only be towed/pulled either by rope or on a rollback. DO NOT pull or tow the car on only its front or rear wheels. Please see page 195 for more information on warnings related to towing.
• ALWAYS set the DCCD to DIFF FREE when using the emergency spare tire. Change or fix the tire as soon as possible.
• When the centre diff requires repair (control unit, disconnected wires, shorted wires, voltage issues, etc.) the DCCD reverts back to DIFF FREE and the indicator (at which you last had it set) should flash at 1 second intervals. Please go to your nearest Subaru dealer immediately. Once a problem arises, even if the unit regains power, it will not reset itself until the engine key is set to the off position.
Thanks for the info...makes it a lot clearer.
Old 30 October 2013, 12:18 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

That's the best explanation I've read!
Old 30 October 2013, 03:07 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

Good article, and I know I'm being thick, but what hapopens when you keep it in Auto?
Old 30 October 2013, 03:45 PM
nick1973
Scooby Regular

I have no experience of anything other than auto, so if someone can tell me that it's safer/better to have it any other way then I'll change it
Old 30 October 2013, 03:58 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

when driving around normally, and then putting your foot down slightly, does anybody feel the car pulls a tiny bit better in auto than on open?
Old 30 October 2013, 04:18 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick1973
I have no experience of anything other than auto, so if someone can tell me that it's safer/better to have it any other way then I'll change it

Exactly the point I was trying to make but put in a much more coherent way

I was always told that unless you were Petter Solberg keep it in Auto.
Old 30 October 2013, 04:32 PM
Gazbaru1980
Scooby Regular

Does the car need to be stood to change the settings or can it be done while moving? Probably a daft question .
Old 30 October 2013, 04:33 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

I feel it pulls better in open but that what I always have it on so just maby imagining it, in the wet open isn't great perhaps it's my r888 but I tend to run auto if there standing water because It becomes extremely tail happy otherwise!

I may be wrong but I always trough Auto mode puts the power where it's needed front or rear axle?
Old 30 October 2013, 04:34 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gazbaru1980
Does the car need to be stood to change the settings or can it be done while moving? Probably a daft question .
Mine always get fiddled with while driving, my mates seem too think it's funny to mess With it
Old 30 October 2013, 04:36 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX Blues
Good article, and I know I'm being thick, but what hapopens when you keep it in Auto?
My understanding is that translation article is from the "old" days where DCCD cars didn't have an Auto, I could be talking crap though.

In Auto, the car will dynamically adjust between locked and open (and the settings in between) depending on what is required.
Old 30 October 2013, 04:41 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

just seen this
Old 30 October 2013, 07:16 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

For normal driving just leave it in auto.
Old 31 October 2013, 03:27 AM
sharpy2010
Scooby Regular

I never put mine in anything but Auto (I don't understand it, and would rather have a computer control it than me, anyway!).
Old 31 October 2013, 09:49 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

When I had my STI, I used to put it fully open when I wanted to loon about.
During the 'bad' snow we had, I put it fully locked a couple of times to get me up a steep hill.
Apart from that, I found auto pretty good.
You could feel it working exiting corners under hard acceleration etc.
Old 31 October 2013, 10:13 AM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

Next time I'm out in mine in the wet I'm going to try the diff in lock see what it does, make a change from open or auto
Old 31 October 2013, 07:42 PM
subinewbi
Scooby Newbie

I have git an aftermarket one from dccdpro recenltly and Auto is working pretty well for me on a daily commute. Had some rain here yesterday and hitting corners, no problem.
Old 02 November 2013, 12:16 AM
Gary Tractor boy
Scooby Regular

2nd that, in snow use "lock" for better grip. Otherwise auto .
Old 03 November 2013, 07:37 PM
BillyBrown
Scooby Regular

I used to always have it in auto but just recently I have been driving with the DCCD in orange half way between lock and green.

Does DCCD change the percentage of wheel power front to rear? Or just change how it feels?

My Hawk sti is running 320-340bhp, it feels a bit slower on the orange setting but seems to grip better (compared to auto), on auto it seems a bit tail happy when my foot is down out of a corner.

Can anyone give a simple explanation for each step on the dial?

ie = "lock" snow/mud all four wheels rotate together

1st click down = and what its for and how the car should feel and so on... 2nd 3rd,4th etc etc

Last edited by BillyBrown; 03 November 2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03 November 2013, 07:43 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

One thing to note is that the dash lights don't represent "clicks" as such, the adjustment is constant from 0-100% between top and bottom rather than being six individual settings.

If that makes sense!
Old 03 November 2013, 08:02 PM
BillyBrown
Scooby Regular

Yeah it does make sense mate, when the DCCD is rolled it's like it hits a bump so lock is 100% and green 0%

I was told it made the car go from front to rear wheel drive, not fully but say 85% to 15% front to rear or viseversa.

Quick Reply: Dccd settings?