Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evo VI Tommi and Evo VII......

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2001, 12:46 AM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dowser - I own a VI GSR, which is mechanically almost identical to the Mak, and would agree with your observations.

The only downsides to owning one are the small (50 litre) fuel tank, and some passengers not liking the firm suspension.

If you can afford a Mak, go for it.

Gary.
Old 30 April 2001, 07:58 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

I was lucky enough to try an Evo VI Tommi Makkinen last week - thanks Mike!

It's a different world from the Scoob;

Straight line performance wise it's quite close (Evo was standard - my Scoob isn't); about two car lengths slower from 60-180km/h.

However, the steering, brakes and gearchange are all much better. Turn in and poise is just amazing

So, has anyone driven a Tommi Makkinen VI and the new VII? What did they think (and how did the VII compare).....could be next car if I can sort out the one big advantage the Scooby has.....price!

Thanks
Richard
Old 30 April 2001, 10:47 AM
Driftmeister
Scooby Newbie

Hello Richard,

Sorry have never driven an EVO but i would like to know more about the EVO6 Monte Carlo saw and advert in this months EVO magazine and it sounded like it had a few more trick parts, Motorsprt Turbo + a few other goodies above standard.

Anyone else seen this?

Sam
Old 30 April 2001, 11:53 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Evo Mak is indeed a very special car. Arguably more fun that the VII that replaces it, but not as complete although I'll reserve judgement until I drive it later this week.

The Monte Carlo is just an RS Sprint with a Makinen front skirt and white wheels available in.....yup, you guessed it, white. At £26k its a good price for a new Evo VI, I would imagine you would get further discounts in light of the new VII.

It's Mitsubishi trying to get rid of surplus white cars. I would avoid them like the plague though, white cars are taking monstrous depreciation hits.

Cheaper in price but not better value, IMHO. But then I would say that, I'm putting mine up for sale

Cem
Old 30 April 2001, 01:21 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Gary,
I must emphasise that there is a BIG difference between the two cars (remember we are speaking relatively) and they are not mechanically identical. Although in principal they share most of the parts, the difference in certain components is enough to make the car feel significantly different.

Cem
Old 30 April 2001, 01:51 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Cem,

I did say almost

The differences I think I know about (different spoiler and interior aside) are a slightly different turbo and suspension set up.

I'd be keen to hear (just from a personal interest point of view, I've spent too much money changing cars over the past few years) the difference in feel between a VI and Mak, from someone (you!) who's owned both.

You mentioned yours is going up for sale - what are you looking to buy instead?

Cheers,

Gary.