Sponsored by:

godspeed pads!

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2013, 12:31 PM
kezwaldo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default godspeed pads!

ok as some people may know i had a moan about the price of new pads for my 335mm big brake conversion (godspeed) they wanted £95 i have just purchased same pads from a jag xjs and aston martin db7 all i had to do was slightly largen the hole which pin sits threw EASY this is all godspeed do and then charge 3 times what normal pads costs ...IN FACT the pads i have purchased IMO work even better than the pad godspeed provide so save yourself £70 and take 10 mins to modify the pad with a drill EASY you can either get EBc ,BREMBOS or FERODOS FOR AROUND £25-30 people gave me endless stick for taking this route and im telling you now its a far cheaper route and is imo a btter result thanks.
Old 09 October 2013, 12:42 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Which pads did you go for?
Old 09 October 2013, 12:47 PM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Good find! Good for you for persevering and sharing your findings!

Last edited by Reshard1977; 09 October 2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09 October 2013, 12:50 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheaper brakes - is this a good idea on a 300 + BHP car?
I mean, how many sets are you going through each year?
I spend about 80 notes a week on petrol and f*** knows what else on insurance, road tax etc.
Is there really any point running one of these cars with a big brake kit and then trying to save money on the pads?
Sounds to me like you might be better off running a cheaper car.
Jag XJS or Aston Martin spring to mind.
Old 09 October 2013, 12:56 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
I spend about 80 notes a week on petrol and f*** knows what else on insurance, road tax etc.
Is there really any point running one of these cars with a big brake kit and then trying to save money on the pads?
That thought had crossed my mind as well.
Old 09 October 2013, 12:58 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Just because they are cheaper doesn't mean they are worse.
Companies like godspeed do charge a premium, thats fact. Thats not a bad thing, people trust them and are happy to pay the extra. The op has just found a cheaper route so hats off to him.
Maybe this might help save fellow enthusiasts a few quid as these cars are expensive enough to run
Old 09 October 2013, 01:00 PM
kezwaldo
Scooby Regular

the pads work BETTER!!!!!! so do aston martin fit crap pads to there cars then? ermmmmmmmmm no ?????? do they need 5 -6 sets of pads a year of course they dont !!!!!! jesus people love wasting money dont they !!!!!! i was given this tip by someone who races subarus and he said the pads are excellent and never fade and are awesome for life span!!!!! I just bthought id share my find and save some lads a few quid if they want but if people like you want to pay an extra £60 for someone to pick up a drill for 5 minutes you crack on mate!!!!!!!!!! i know someone who sells lightened wheel nuts for £900 you will lose 000000000000000.1 kg in weight mate and you know how it is you dont want to be buying a subaru and going over 100mph without your gold plated wheel nuts do you!!!!!!!!!! them alloy ones just wont do LOL
Old 09 October 2013, 01:03 PM
kezwaldo
Scooby Regular

HERE HERE matty im not telling everyone to do this its totally up to them of course i just wanted to share my findings and offer an alternative for people. IMO there is no difference at all in peformance.........its been fun trying and testing this way and i intend to carry on !!!!!!
Old 09 October 2013, 01:05 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Kezwaldo,

You should set up a group buy. Buy a van load of pads for £20 a set, drill them out and charge people £45. They will still half the price of anyone else and you'll make a fortune.......LOL....
Old 09 October 2013, 01:12 PM
kezwaldo
Scooby Regular

mate i was thinking this while i had the drill in my hand .........its not as if another company isnt doing this already....... i even filed the hole down and smoothed them so they was perfect ,,,,,,,,,,,,they fitted like a glove and work very very well .........you can buy a range of the pads on ebay i went for the EBC pads as someone said the are good pads when they turned up they was classed as high peformance pads and thats exactly what im getting they could stop on 10 pence piece there so good. Even if life is slightly shorter id rather this root i love to modify and tinker with different ideas.
Old 09 October 2013, 01:18 PM
winston69
Scooby Regular

Which EBC pads are they?
Old 09 October 2013, 01:21 PM
kezwaldo
Scooby Regular

not sure i wish i took pic of box which has now been disposed of
Old 09 October 2013, 01:22 PM
kezwaldo
Scooby Regular

i think they was EBC ULTIMAX but cannot confirm.
Old 09 October 2013, 01:32 PM
winston69
Scooby Regular

Good luck with it
Old 09 October 2013, 01:34 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

EBC pads were totally shyte about 3 years ago.
Can't comment now though.
Old 09 October 2013, 01:36 PM
kezwaldo
Scooby Regular

EBC also offer green stuff,red stuff,yellow stuff,blue stuff pads cheaper and also the discs are more reasonably priced........they are ECE R 90 approved. The pad hasnt changed in 10 years and is a testament to its success and is black coded in the EBC range . It is world wide number one selling brake pad............hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm not such a bad pad for £23.50 i think ill stick with these i bet its the same pads godspeed provide !!!!!!!!!! they just modify which anyone could do with half a brain!
Old 09 October 2013, 01:38 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Well all I'll say is that I tried EBC red stuff on my old STI, and they were rubbish.
Infact I'm convinced they were the destruction of my front discs
Old 09 October 2013, 01:43 PM
kezwaldo
Scooby Regular

ok work great on my car thats all i need to know!
Old 09 October 2013, 01:46 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

In the words of John McEnroe 'you cannot be serious!'
Old 09 October 2013, 01:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

If they are Jag XJ-S pads - bear in mind a XJ-s is 1700kg and from driving mine with DS performance pads I've never had a issue with fade or performance once bedded in (dusty as f**k though and took ages to bed in)...bearing in mind this car has a auto gearbox and no engine braking, nor ABS, and I'm not afraid to push it hard.

FYI Rolls Roce Silver Spirits (I and II) have the same caliper setup too...2+ ton car with the same Jag/Girling calipers and pads...and Bentley Turbos...but they did struggle under hard use...even with dual front calipers (four front calipers - which faded when approaching an island at speed, an experience I won't forget in a hurry ).

The only concern I would have is if a scoob is heavy enough to make these pads work ok. But being honest I doubt it'd make the blindest bit of difference.

Problem here is ds performance pads for a XJ-S are over £110, so you ain't making any saving

And I wouldn't let EBC pads near any of my cars...FYi the compounds have changed...there was a huge thread by them to address problems they had with earlier pads and teh problems associated with them. They should be better, but for me - once bitten, twice as shy.

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 October 2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09 October 2013, 01:52 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Well all I'll say is that I tried EBC red stuff on my old STI, and they were rubbish.
Infact I'm convinced they were the destruction of my front discs
Exactly the same happened when I had EBC drilled/dimpled discs and red stuff pads on my 1998 sti. After 5000 miles I had massive brake judder. I didn't drive it hard and never abused the brakes. Once I stripped them down, this is what I found:

The pads were finished. Obviously they were getting too hot and cooked the discs.

The pads were crap from cold as well.

And it they set me back nearly £400!

I replaced them with an OE replacement set from ebay for £100. Cold bite was vastly improved and I had no issues in the remaining 5000 miles before I sold it.

I know EBC say that they have changed their materials but I will never use them again due to the above.
Old 09 October 2013, 01:54 PM
kezwaldo
Scooby Regular

i have been using mintex and they was really dreadful so changed to EBC and at this moment in time are amazing so until they fade and fall apart in 50 miles like some are predicting i will stick with them.............i cant se it they seem to be made of great materials and my cars loving them so maybe i will update this post at a later date and see how ive got on.........if im not dead LOL
Old 09 October 2013, 01:55 PM
winston69
Scooby Regular

Ebc are crap apart from the blue and the newer orangestuff
Old 09 October 2013, 01:58 PM
kezwaldo
Scooby Regular

ok thats fair play but thats not even the same design pad as im using ..........i wouldnt blame you if you didnt use them again thats your choice but i could show you the same with my godspeed pads didnt last long at all !!!!!!!!!!! and once pads get low they will ruin your discs whatver the pad!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09 October 2013, 02:02 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by kezwaldo
EBC also offer green stuff,red stuff,yellow stuff,blue stuff pads cheaper and also the discs are more reasonably priced........they are ECE R 90 approved. The pad hasnt changed in 10 years and is a testament to its success and is black coded in the EBC range . It is world wide number one selling brake pad............hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm not such a bad pad for £23.50 i think ill stick with these i bet its the same pads godspeed provide !!!!!!!!!! they just modify which anyone could do with half a brain!
Apparently according to Andy Freeman (manager at EBC) they changed their pad compound post 2010 to address the problems they had. (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyr...d-reviews.html)

So the pad compounds HAVE changed in the past ten years.

Unfortunately the reputation sticks. And once bitten twice as shy - hence why I don't use them.
Old 09 October 2013, 02:03 PM
kezwaldo
Scooby Regular

also if you didnt like EBC you can get the same pads made by feredo or brembo ill prob try brembo next just to see how they are!!
Old 09 October 2013, 02:08 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

i have been using mintex and they was really dreadful so changed to EBC and at this moment in time are amazing so until they fade and fall apart in 50 miles like some are predicting i will stick with them.............i cant se it they seem to be made of great materials and my cars loving them so maybe i will update this post at a later date and see how ive got on.........if im not dead LOL
How long have you driven on them?
If you haven't bedded them in properly before using them hard, they will last even less.

Also, you have taken off old pads and fitted new ones. Of course they are going to feel better. The real test is over the next 6 months.

As Ali said, lots and lots of people has issues with EBC. Don't dismiss it as it will be your funeral!
Old 09 October 2013, 02:10 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

ok thats fair play but thats not even the same design pad as im using ..........i wouldnt blame you if you didnt use them again thats your choice but i could show you the same with my godspeed pads didnt last long at all !!!!!!!!!!! and once pads get low they will ruin your discs whatver the pad!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't comment on the Godspeed pads.
But the EBC redstuff pads ruined my discs, and the pads were not low.
And thinking back, that was 4 years ago, so I guess they were the old compound.
Old 09 October 2013, 02:11 PM
EssexJamie
Scooby Regular

Fair play if you've genuinely found a bargain there, and your happy with them......but I wouldn't out EBC on my car ever again after running them once and the had the worst brake fade ever, squealed like a bitch and where shot in under 3 months oh and ruined my expensive brake discs.
Old 09 October 2013, 02:11 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

also if you didnt like EBC you can get the same pads made by feredo or brembo ill prob try brembo next just to see how they are!!

Hang on Brembo pads?

Is that Brembo pads for a XJ-S?

As something aint right here, as the XJ-S was never fitted with Brembo calipers...Only Lucas/Girling 4 pots. (DB7s did have Brembos as a upgrade option, and were standard on later models).

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 October 2013 at 02:13 PM.

Quick Reply: godspeed pads!