ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Fitting a FMIC to a 95 wrx

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2013, 06:56 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fitting a FMIC to a 95 wrx

Had my car remapped etc etc and am now in pursuit of a front mount, i like the look of them, i want to fit a reverse scoop and it cant hurt with charge temps can it LOL, i know i will need a remap again after so my question.

As with everything, nothing is simple, apart from the piping/intercooler, what else is involved with fitting a FMIC ? im guessing i need to replace my airbox with a cone type, so do i then need adapters etc to pipe that in, i have a HKS dumpvalve, can this remain ?

questions questions LOL

cheers all
Old 02 October 2013, 07:37 PM
supshon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...r-project.html
Old 02 October 2013, 08:06 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What he ^ said.

Most need the the hard pipe cut near the battery, so you'll need a joiner for that, and make a bead on each cut end so it doesn't blow off all the time.

I had a bead Tig welded by a friend, but, this was another suggestion.

http://bbs.22b.com/forums/showthread...l=1#post201715
Old 02 October 2013, 08:58 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

cheers guys, **** me, alot of work involved isnt there LOL

I`m looking to pick up a 2nd hand one for about £100 so wish me luck LOL

Last edited by The Rig; 02 October 2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02 October 2013, 09:09 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

go on facebook ( i know it's crap ) look for south west scoobies simon beagley on there is selling a brand new one with all the pipes etc for £150
Old 02 October 2013, 09:16 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

cheers for the heads up, i see his kit is fitted to a car with ABS so not sure if it will fit mine as mine doesnt have ABS.
Old 02 October 2013, 09:25 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

won't make any difference at all, but you are right you will need a induction kit
Old 04 October 2013, 08:47 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Originally Posted by The Rig
cheers for the heads up, i see his kit is fitted to a car with ABS so not sure if it will fit mine as mine doesnt have ABS.
Easier to cut the inner wing with no ABS to worry about.
Old 08 October 2013, 04:35 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Right guys, got myself a FMIC, should be arriving friday, yay.

So, onto induction Kit, im running mafless so assume i can remove the MAF now, once i get the induction kit etc, do they come with all the bits needed to remove or to fit when a FMIC is installed or do i need to be other bits, as ive never fitted a FMIC before, not sure if just buying an induction kit is all the bits required when fitting a FMIC.

so, any recomendaions on which to get, again, for the 95 WRX

cheers for the help lads

Last edited by The Rig; 08 October 2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08 October 2013, 05:03 PM
katana man
Scooby Regular

i have a brand new hta reverse scoop am selling if interested, also a carbon fibre induction scoop
Old 08 October 2013, 07:44 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

What ECU are you on? I believe, could be wrong, some use the MAF for the IAT, so I would speak to your mapper before just removing it. I could also just be imagining that.

Most induction kits come with everything you need, however, I don't know what exactly you've done to your car?

Is it still 90 degree entry turbo, etc.

I'd recommend an Apexi Power Intake, since that comes with the nicest resonator delete pipe, it's not cheap however.

http://www.funkypower.co.uk/catalogu...d_product=7077

The one pictured is correct for your age car.

If you bin the MAF, you'll need a hose joiner to replace it.
Old 08 October 2013, 08:08 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

cheers bud, will check on that, running an ESL board.

my turbo is the original TD05 so assuming the 90 degree type.

cheers for the link, your not wrong at the price, ouch ! i see they use the same picture but the price varies LOL for each model, £185 for the 92-96 impreza
Old 08 October 2013, 08:18 PM
katana man
Scooby Regular

front mount fitted with apexi induction kit with large k&n filter

Old 08 October 2013, 08:31 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Aye, yours is the 90 degree entry, Fred. Don't know your name, so I've named you.

You really need to speak to your mapper, before you spend any money on an induction kit.

For example, if you were to buy the Apexi, then ditched the MAF, you wouldn't be able to fit the Apexi without spending more money as the filter bolts to the MAF.

Have you got a catch can fitted? Cylinder heads vent into the resonator box, IIRC, so you would need the resonator delete, or fit a catch can.

Crap pic of mine how it sort of is now;

Old 08 October 2013, 09:08 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

cheers guys for the pics

Katana man, nice engine bay

Micky, thats exactly how i want my induction kit to fit, i dont have a catch can so will need the resonator delete pipe. i bet this is hard to come by as well LOL does the resonator delete pipe have the hole for the 3rd line of the boost solenoid ?

I might as well just use the MAF as a joiner then, cant go wrong that way :-)

im wondering if this FMIC will be worth it LOL
Old 09 October 2013, 12:08 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
Aye, yours is the 90 degree entry, Fred. Don't know your name, so I've named you.

You really need to speak to your mapper, before you spend any money on an induction kit.

For example, if you were to buy the Apexi, then ditched the MAF, you wouldn't be able to fit the Apexi without spending more money as the filter bolts to the MAF.
You can't ditch the MAF on an Apexi, unless you have found a trick I've not heard of Micky.
Old 09 October 2013, 07:38 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Did you read the thread Andy? We're talking about Apexi Power Intakes, not FC's.

Sure you can or could ditch the Maf on a Power FC though; Mafsim. They weren't supposed to be very reliable though IIRC.

Fred, the FMIC will be worth it, just trying to save you spending needlessly.

The power intakes come up on here occasionally, I bought mine from here many moons ago. Someone was selling one a while back, complete with the resonator delete, I bought the filter as mine was getting shabby, and someone else got the delete.

Mine has a vac pipe attached to the resonator deleted, not rightly sure where it goes to though. I'll have a look tomorrow.
Old 09 October 2013, 09:26 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

I`m liking the name fred

Ive just bought an intake setup that looks pretty close to yours so im hoping it wil do the job and if it does have a vacuum pipe attached tot he resonator delete, it most probably is the vent to atmosphere/intake pipe from the boost solenoid, so thats good

cheers again for the info
Old 23 October 2013, 11:26 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Just been readin up on KIPS fitting guide properly and it seems alot of work and alot of issues can arise from fitting the FMIC, fogs not fitting properly, intercooler pipes not fitting right, intercooler fitting too low etc, pipes rubbing on parts, sheesh, is it worth it LOL.

i was hoping to fit it this weekend but the weather looks uber crap and im not sure a weekend will get it fitted and back up and running again, i have a hks dumpvalve, the outlet on the pipework for the dumpvalve is mahoosive compared to my hks inlet !

bangs head on wall LOL
Old 24 October 2013, 12:35 AM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

i have fitted the 92-96 specific front mount on mine the intercooler don't hang out the bottom of the bumper, you don't have to cut the inner wing and the fog lights only needed a couple of washers to fit, if these did not become available i wouldn't have fitted one.

same as this but from japseed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTOBAHN88...item27d88ab091
Old 24 October 2013, 12:38 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

cheers, but the kit ive bought has a bigger intercooler than that item for sale and the impreza it came from (95) had to have the wing cut so my kit does LOL, oh well, might put it all back on ebay LOL
Old 24 October 2013, 09:00 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Just been readin up on KIPS fitting guide properly and it seems alot of work and alot of issues can arise from fitting the FMIC, fogs not fitting properly, intercooler pipes not fitting right, intercooler fitting too low etc, pipes rubbing on parts, sheesh, is it worth it LOL.

i was hoping to fit it this weekend but the weather looks uber crap and im not sure a weekend will get it fitted and back up and running again, i have a hks dumpvalve, the outlet on the pipework for the dumpvalve is mahoosive compared to my hks inlet !

bangs head on wall LOL
Silicon reducer for your chav valve. Fitted mine in a weekend, a December weekend at that.

cheers, but the kit ive bought has a bigger intercooler than that item for sale and the impreza it came from (95) had to have the wing cut so my kit does LOL, oh well, might put it all back on ebay LOL
Has yours got ABS? If it hasn't it's much easier to cut the inner wing.

Test build it off the car to see if you'll need to buy anything to fit it. Since it's come off an early car everything should be there, Fred.

If you need any joiners etc, they are reasonably priced on Ebay. Buy a caliper gauge to measure any hose sizes, they are only about £5 from Wilkinsons.
Old 26 October 2013, 12:22 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Fitted a HDI kit to mine. was a side entry kit fitted to a top entry. What a pita! Mines running mafless too but I need to make up some pipe work to delete the MAF.
Hope youre not scared of grinding & cutting bits of your pride and joy.
Take your time, measure twice and cut once as they say. Dont steam in when it comes to cutting your bumper, if you measure carefully you can save the fog light covers and brackets.
When cutting the bumper only cut away the lower part of the fog light surround area, the idea being to save the upper screw holes and locators.
I strongly reccomend dry fitting the pipework first. If you need hoses,clamps or alloy pipe try www.viperperformance.co.uk Their fittings are far superior to any kit supplied parts.

Have fun and dont cut any fingers off

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[with ImageShack.us

Oh yeah, dont forget to paint or protect the cuts (to the bare metal not your fingers)
Old 01 November 2013, 12:19 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

well, i bottled it and sold the FMIC i bought LOL.

as i need the car to get me and the kids about i cant havve it off the road for long etc and well, i wont gain much bhp etc so just gave up and will stick to the large TMIC i currently have, its been tweaked again since i started this thread and its alot better now running at 1.3 bar boost so will be leaving it for time being

cheers for the input tho guys, fair play to you lot who have fitted the FMIC !!!!!!!