Sponsored by:

Wanted 2006 WRX STI 2.5L Hawkeye

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2013, 12:22 AM
Dangermouse1607
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Wanted 2006 WRX STI 2.5L Hawkeye

Brand new to the ScoobyNet forum, so hoping the community can help?!

I am looking for a WRX STI 2.5L, Hawkeye, year of manufacture 2006.

Sensible mileage on the car, ideally a standard model and no special mods.

Looking for colour white or blue but would consider silver if it was a spec D.

I live in Northamptonshire and would be prepared to travel for the right car and price.

Is there anyone out there who has something I might be interested in?

Lisa
Old 21 September 2013, 06:33 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

I live down south and flew to Edinburgh from Gatwick to collect my Spec D from Falkirk. Lovely car, quite stealthy and to the untrained eye looks like a WRX.....until you floor it!

The leather still smells as fresh as the day it left the factory, and with no tints or gold wheels, it's nice and subtle.

They are nice car, and only 300 made, so they are a bit special in my opinion, although they aren't numbered which is a bit of a shame.

Good luck with finding the right car, decent ones are out there, you just need to shop around and always remember that you get what you pay for.
Old 21 September 2013, 08:54 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

If you can find a hawk STi with the cheaper tax bracket that would be a bigger bonus, Mine is a 2006 and is £220 for 12 months??? Where as some of them like 2007 etc are around £450 for 12 months???

Make sure you do lots of research before buying, and know what your getting yourself into before buying, as im sure someone will tell you that the standard 2.5 in the hawkeye is know for headgasket problems and can be a expensive fix!!

And if you really do want a white one make sure you dont buy this one!!!
. https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...i-hawkeye.html

Good luck with your search, I love my Hawk Sti
Old 21 September 2013, 09:25 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Yes make sure you go through history with fine tooth comb, and if its had a headgasket done id consider that a plus point.
Old 21 September 2013, 09:37 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Taking into account all of the sensible advice above I would consider a car such as this one.

Good history, forged engine rebuild and reputable seller. As an added bonus for you Lisa it is also a 2006 (55) car that will benefit from lower tax.

Do not rush to buy a car that will shaft you, hold out for something that you want.

http://www.hurstcars.co.uk/used-cars...01308028132198
Old 21 September 2013, 09:39 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 2.5 is a crap engine, headgasket issues are very common and require a rebuild.
Old 21 September 2013, 10:19 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

2.5 doesnt always require a rebuild, gasket and ringlands are known failures but the 2.5l is far better engine driveability wise, so an easy car to live with on a daily basis. I had all the doubts when changing from classic but best thing i ever done. Some bargains out there to be had also.

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
Taking into account all of the sensible advice above I would consider a car such as this one.

Good history, forged engine rebuild and reputable seller. As an added bonus for you Lisa it is also a 2006 (55) car that will benefit from lower tax.

Do not rush to buy a car that will shaft you, hold out for something that you want.

http://www.hurstcars.co.uk/used-cars...01308028132198
do you know for certain its lower tax? Needs to be before 23rd March to qualify for lower tax.

Trending Topics

Old 21 September 2013, 10:25 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
the 2.5 is a crap engine, headgasket issues are very common and require a rebuild.
Its a good engine, plenty of torque and makes a nice drive, Ive had 8 Impreza's in 10 years, 7 of them where 2 litres and the one I have now is a 2.5 and I prefer this engine.

I would not say its a crap engine, just not a reliable engine.
Old 21 September 2013, 12:04 PM
Dangermouse1607
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all your replies.

Hearing all your stories and what to watch out for are putting me off now! Thought I had it nailed what I should be going for. lol

Out of interest are the 2L any more reliable?
Old 21 September 2013, 12:46 PM
toyney83
Scooby Regular

Look for a hawk jdm. Looks your after with the 2.0ltr engine. The 2.5s do make a nice road car although are well known for gasket an ring land issues. A forged 2.5 makes a very nice engine though
Old 21 September 2013, 01:14 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dangermouse1607

Hearing all your stories and what to watch out for are putting me off now! Thought I had it nailed what I should be going for. lol

Yes 2 Litre is more reliable!!

I own a UK 2.5 hawk and a friend has a 2 litre JDM hawk, both have the same mods(exhaust, decat, remap) The JDM revs a lot quicker and seems to pull hard at the top end of the rev range, where as the UK 2.5 seems to pull hard from low revs but revs a lot slower, and does not seem as strong at high revs(opposite to the JDM) But then the JDM has shorter gear ratio's to the UK so your going up the gearbox a lot quicker!!!

As a everyday car I felt the JDM seems a lot quieter, The scooby burble sounds good but can do your head in sometimes as it does drown in the cabin wheres as the JDM sounds like fighter jet on full boost(prefer the twin scroll sound)

The only thing I would say about the JDM hawk is that you have'nt got that headgasket problem in the back of your mind when giving it some. But then again if you can find a forged 2.5 litre hawk I feel it would be just as good.

Only other thing is try finding a JDM hawk for sale, Ive only seen maybe 2-3 for sale in the last year and prices can be anything from as low as £10k to as high as £15k where as you could probably pick a forged hawk for around £11k.
Old 21 September 2013, 02:58 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is why I pointed out the car from Hurst.

It comes with a fully forged engine if anything that engine will be tougher than any standard 2.0. And one damn site nicer to drive, the slug of torque from that engine will make it a very nice road car and superb B-road slayer.

I would say that as a biased owner of a car with a beautiful 2.5 forged engine.

You can get a non forged 2.5 and never experience any trouble from it, it would appear that they are prone to the issue not nailed on to get it.

Ultimately any car can suffer a problem and many Marques are well known for particular issues. I also own a 1.6 Diesel Fiesta that apparently blows turbos and a Golf that drops gearboxes. Telephone number bills if either goes wrong... but that's a risk I take.

The 2.5 one is a particular issue among enthusiasts because the 2.0 was a relatively reliable engine and Subaru's handling of the 2.5 matter was very poor (they basically denied its existence). A small change on the production line and ECU tweak (if what we are led to believe by the engine builders) would have stopped the problem completely.

If you are after a non modified car then a late 2.0 Blobeye with the wide track would be a good choice. If it has to be a Hawkeye and you are not convinced by a fully forged engine or the 2.5 as a whole then it would be worth looking for a Jap import but those twin scroll engines aren't for everyone.
Old 22 September 2013, 12:33 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Brand new to the ScoobyNet forum, so hoping the community can help?!

I am looking for a WRX STI 2.5L, Hawkeye, year of manufacture 2006.

Sensible mileage on the car, ideally a standard model and no special mods.

Looking for colour white or blue but would consider silver if it was a spec D.

I live in Northamptonshire and would be prepared to travel for the right car and price.

Is there anyone out there who has something I might be interested in?

Lisa
Why ?

Which in your opinion is what?
Old 22 September 2013, 09:27 AM
ae82mad
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1. What's your budget for the right car?
Old 22 September 2013, 02:07 PM
Dangermouse1607
Scooby Newbie

love the look of the hawk. always wanted and STI. Wasn't clued up on the 2.5 but now, thanks to the comments I am so would consider a 2L.

really looking for a standard model, no really special mods as want some fun on a daily basis so looking for the most reliable you can get.

As for budget, it really depends on the car. Have seen some in the region of 10,000 that would foot the bill for around 50k mils but are a bit too far away to view so open to suggestions.
Old 22 September 2013, 02:53 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

love the look of the hawk. always wanted and STI. Wasn't clued up on the 2.5 but now, thanks to the comments I am so would consider a 2L.

really looking for a standard model, no really special mods as want some fun on a daily basis so looking for the most reliable you can get.

As for budget, it really depends on the car. Have seen some in the region of 10,000 that would foot the bill for around 50k mils but are a bit too far away to view so open to suggestions.
Firstly, as is often said on here, be prepared to travel for what seems to be the right one.
Iirc white hawks are not that common, so unlike a WRC blue or black they are thinly spread and you're far less likely to see one (for sale) within reasonable distance of you (that of course applies to everyone).

Without a doubt 10K commands a good one, perhaps even one that's been forged (not necessary up-powered). If that's your limit then I'd set a lower buying budget - say £8-8.5K dependent upon mileage - stash the rest and salt a little away for a potential £3k+ rebuild.

I can certainly vouch for a 2l (JDM) Hawk (although in fairness mine's more than standard). As an import it will be more expensive, but well worth the money.

Final comment - sling the link up for any car you're looking at and you'll get plenty of expert and impartial advice.

Scoobyboy's Post (#3) is a prime example.

Good luck hunting
Old 22 September 2013, 03:08 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
the JDM sounds like fighter jet on full boost(prefer the twin scroll sound)
you know this to be true
Old 22 September 2013, 11:25 PM
jambo7
Scooby Newbie

Not wanting to hijack the thread ...... but........

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...--2006/1708691

I realise it's not what you described but I use this every day and don't find it any thirstier than than the WRX I had before it, unless of course you give it the beanz!
Old 22 September 2013, 11:48 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jambo7
Not wanting to hijack the thread ...... but........

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...--2006/1708691

I realise it's not what you described but I use this every day and don't find it any thirstier than than the WRX I had before it, unless of course you give it the beanz!
Sorry but way over priced unfortunately!!

I picked up exactly the same spec/colour mods, mileage etc for £2,000 less from a dealer!!
Old 23 September 2013, 12:09 AM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

thems are the worst wheels i have seen since tsw venoms

truly horrid
Old 23 September 2013, 12:31 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LUCKO
thems are the worst wheels i have seen since tsw venoms

truly horrid

You still awake, Can tell you dont start work until 10-11am
Old 23 September 2013, 12:31 AM
Dangermouse1607
Scooby Newbie

must admit, not liking the wheels at all and not what I'm looking for, sorry

the search continues. I believe the right one is out there and like I said I would be prepared to travel for the right one, I just not found it yet.

seen a white jdm on auto trader but not sure of its story and if it was that good and rare why hasn't it sold? Pictures look good though!

I'm searching daily and becoming more and more fanatical, keep those comments coming, really useful advice, thanks!
Old 23 September 2013, 12:32 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

you do realise you can buy any wheels you want and fit them? lol
Old 23 September 2013, 12:35 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
you do realise you can buy any wheels you want and fit them? lol
Not when your spending nearly £12k on a car and then another £1k for some new wheels, and then you have a 06 STi with some nice new wheels which has cost you £13k Thats Hawk spec c money!!!
Old 23 September 2013, 12:37 AM
Dangermouse1607
Scooby Newbie

check this out and let me know what you think.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1500?logcode=p
Old 23 September 2013, 12:40 AM
Dangermouse1607
Scooby Newbie

one thing I worry about is finally finding the ideal one, posting it and someone else snapping it up! lol.
Old 23 September 2013, 12:43 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

White Widetrack JDM = Sexy car!!

If you got the money then why not, worth a look, The guy who owns the garage(Hurst cars) posts on here.
Old 23 September 2013, 12:57 AM
Dangermouse1607
Scooby Newbie

I thought it was worth a look. Wasn't sure if I liked it only for the colour though! lol
I think it looks cool but was concerned about getting insurance for it being an import. Are imports more complicated to insure? Also, how can you tell it's history before it was imported? Advert only says one owner since import.

I also saw a nice traditional totally standard UK 2L STI although, I spoke to the garage selling it and they say it has had 2 cam belt changes already, once at 11k and once at 28k, said it was the owners pride and joy and his choice to do it but something doesn't ring true. What do you think? Does that sound normal? am I being paranoid? They said only other changes was mud flaps and new grill. right price is it right car?!
Old 23 September 2013, 01:00 AM
Dangermouse1607
Scooby Newbie

also price of JDM white putting me off as it's slightly out my price range. right car, wrong price?
Old 23 September 2013, 01:02 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

what is your budget?

Quick Reply: Wanted 2006 WRX STI 2.5L Hawkeye