Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trackday claim for hitting another car.

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2013, 07:22 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trackday claim for hitting another car.

Came across this earlier..... http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...rack+day&mid=0

Basically

Two cars involved in a collision on a trackday, one of the drivers had trackday insurance the other did not. The insured driver makes a claim for the damage to his car for which the insurance company pays out, then the insurance company sues the other driver for 21k for which he is found liable..!

I know quite a few people on here participate in trackdays but how many of you bother with trackday insurance? In all my years of taking to the track, I can quite honestly say I've never bothered with cover for the day.....why?....because I know the risks if it goes pear shaped and fully accept the outcome whether an incident is caused by me or another driver.

If trackdays were not already expensive enough, compulsory insurance could put it out of reach of many track heads.
Old 20 September 2013, 07:49 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

very strange (and dangerous) precedent to set IMO
Old 20 September 2013, 07:49 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayallen
Came across this earlier..... http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...rack+day&mid=0

Basically

Two cars involved in a collision on a trackday, one of the drivers had trackday insurance the other did not. The insured driver makes a claim for the damage to his car for which the insurance company pays out, then the insurance company sues the other driver for 21k for which he is found liable..!

I know quite a few people on here participate in trackdays but how many of you bother with trackday insurance? In all my years of taking to the track, I can quite honestly say I've never bothered with cover for the day.....why?....because I know the risks if it goes pear shaped and fully accept the outcome whether an incident is caused by me or another driver.

If trackdays were not already expensive enough, compulsory insurance could put it out of reach of many track heads.
So that's where the insurance co get to make their money back....

If this start being the trend then track day organisers might have to stipulate that the track is open ton'uninsured' cars only.
Old 20 September 2013, 07:51 PM
cjquicksilver
Scooby Regular

Track day insurance isn't that expensive esp when you have spend 15k plus on a build?

I always thought about what would happen if some one in a £500 car they bought for a jolly boys outting, took out my car, what would the insurance say if they were uninsured, so gives a bit more peace of mind lol as usually prefer just me on a track, I.e rally / hill climb etc
Old 20 September 2013, 07:52 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

This sounds ludicrous. Don't you have to sign a disclaimer before a track day & your insurance if you bother is only for your own car.
Old 20 September 2013, 08:00 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RICHARD J
This sounds ludicrous. Don't you have to sign a disclaimer before a track day & your insurance if you bother is only for your own car.
+1 ? I have trackday insurance to protect me from idiots rather than to mitigate my talent But to go after the fault drivers is stupid given all the disclaimers you sign ?
Old 20 September 2013, 08:00 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

this is b/s imho

i understand its the law to have insurance on a public highway and the police/courts can uphold this against you

on a race track etc there is no minimum requirement for RTA cover (tpo) so how can they enforce this

stinks this does

Trending Topics

Old 20 September 2013, 08:06 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cjquicksilver
Track day insurance isn't that expensive esp when you have spend 15k plus on a build?

I always thought about what would happen if some one in a £500 car they bought for a jolly boys outting, took out my car, what would the insurance say if they were uninsured, so gives a bit more peace of mind lol as usually prefer just me on a track, I.e rally / hill climb etc
Its not just the cost of the insurance its another cost to what is already a very expensive day....As for a £500 banger taking part, I don't think I've ever seen that and to be hones,t it wouldn't be hard to spot a few arseholes rolling up for a thrash about by either other trackday goers or even the organiser's....They wouldn't last long on track before they were hurled off.

Last edited by jayallen; 20 September 2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 20 September 2013, 08:08 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either all trackdays should be for uninsured drivers, or all drivers sign contracts between each other, or insurance companies invent 3rd party track cover or else don't admit liability / apologise etc in case of an accident.
Ps I won't be going close to any expensive exotica on track in future.

Last edited by rickya; 20 September 2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 20 September 2013, 08:12 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Also my first point about all drivers being uninsured on a trackday is irrelevant, as just as the Insurance company has later tried to recover costs through local courts, the driver himself could have done it if he was uninsured.
Old 20 September 2013, 08:19 PM
MDS_WRX
Scooby Regular

I always assumed, rightly or wrongly (and I'm yet to do a track day so you can decide which one I belong to!), that the insurance was for both parties like it was on the road i.e. fully comp.

If I turn up in my £5k-£15k car and make a mistake and hit a £100k "supercar", is it really just their tough luck and I can just say sorry? Shouldn't I/them have some insurance that covers the risk and subsequent outlay? I wouldn't want to be personally responsible for a £100k bill...

Last edited by MDS_WRX; 20 September 2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 20 September 2013, 08:21 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Track day insurance is only to cover your own car. But now it seems we may be held personally liable if found negligent. Whether you have track day insurance or not is irrelevant in this case. You either make sure you don't hit another car, but if you do, don't admit responsibility, get some witnesses and a good lawyer!

Last edited by rickya; 20 September 2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 20 September 2013, 08:26 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

The worrying thing is that as track day insurance only covers your own car, if you collide with someone else you may be sued even if insured. Iv read the thread on Pistonheads & surely if the guy who was sued for hitting the Catheram was deemed negligent, then the Catheram driver was even more negligent for spinning off in the first place.
This is a big blow for track days, why can't race teams sue each other as the circumstances are similar in most rece incidents.
Old 20 September 2013, 08:28 PM
MDS_WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rickya
Track day insurance is only to cover your own car. But now it seems we may be held personally liable if found negligent. Whether you have track day insurance or not is irrelevant in this case.
Ok, I didn't know that, thanks.

Playing devils advocate though, is that such a bad thing? In my made up "£5k-£15k vs £100k" scenario, shouldn't there be some insurance that the 100k car takes out to cover them against someone wiping them out? If it's a pure accident then they might just be unlucky, but what if some novice (like me ) accidentally takes them out due to poor driving skills?

If i was you in the £100k car, wouldn't you want some form of protection?
Old 20 September 2013, 08:28 PM
Scooby Senior

Caterham drivers are all ***** so it's hardly surprising really
Old 20 September 2013, 08:33 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53
Caterham drivers are all ***** so it's hardly surprising really
Are you insinuating that subaru drivers are not?

PMSL
Old 20 September 2013, 08:36 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

This could be a bit of a blow to Track day companies soon, better of going to Nurburgring and risking Armco damage costs.
Old 20 September 2013, 08:36 PM
Scooby Senior

Some of the worst driving and flagrant disregard for the driving rules I've experienced at trackdays, and oddly enough Snetterton, has been by idiots in Caterhams
Old 20 September 2013, 08:42 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MDS_WRX
Ok, I didn't know that, thanks.

Playing devils advocate though, is that such a bad thing? In my made up "£5k-£15k vs £100k" scenario, shouldn't there be some insurance that the 100k car takes out to cover them against someone wiping them out? If it's a pure accident then they might just be unlucky, but what if some novice (like me ) accidentally takes them out due to poor driving skills?

If i was you in the £100k car, wouldn't you want some form of protection?
If you cant afford to fix your car in the event of a crash then you take out track day insurance for your own car not anyone else's. Track day insurance is expensive when you consider it's for the day & if your car is worth 100k you wouldn't go on a track day as they would not cover you for a fair price. Race drivers can't claim offeach other so the same should apply to track days. Unless all track day insurance is fully comp then it should be banned & all drivers sign disclaimers not to sue anyone.
Old 20 September 2013, 08:46 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LUCKO
this is b/s imho

i understand its the law to have insurance on a public highway and the police/courts can uphold this against you

on a race track etc there is no minimum requirement for RTA cover (tpo) so how can they enforce this

stinks this does
Agree 100%
Old 20 September 2013, 08:48 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53
Some of the worst driving and flagrant disregard for the driving rules I've experienced at trackdays, and oddly enough Snetterton, has been by idiots in Caterhams
Fair enough mate lol.

I live local to combe and i guess one of the most cars i have seen have an off are imprezas lol when the drivers run out of talent

Plus generally on the road too. Or maybe its just when im driving lol
Old 20 September 2013, 08:48 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53
I totally agree, they appear to have all the gear and no idea and very rarely pull over for you to pass!

This is very interesting, taking from moris.co.uk....A trackday insurance company

What is third party insurance?

As defined by the BIBA Jargon Buster a "third party" is simply a person claiming against another person or body who is described as the Insured (policyholder). In insurance terminology the first party is the insurer and the second party is the insured person, so the one doing the claiming is the "third" party.

Third Party can include damage to someone's property (car, armco, track, building) or bodily injury - and that is anything from minor cuts and bruises to death!!.

There is growing questioning amongst trackday aficionados about the issue of third party liability cover. Questions we get asked are typically:
1. Am I covered?
2. Do the organisers cover me? and
3. Where can I buy trackday third party liability cover?

The answer in respect of the first two questions is almost certainly a resounding "No" and for the third questions the answer is "No where". In other words you have no cover and there is no insurer in the land who is regularly known to be providing this cover either. The next question that follows is "what happens if....?" and the short answer is cross everything and hope.... that sounds really scary right? - so lets put this into perspective for a moment...

Everyone out there is in the same boat - you are just as likely to end up being hit by someone else and have no real recourse against them either - so (1) make sure your car/bike IS insured of course (2) more importantly, make sure YOU are insured and take advantage of our personal Accident optional extras where you can insure for up to £100,000 for death (Yep - it sometimes can and does happen) and permanent total disablement.

So why don't motor insurers provide this cover? Much for the same reason many motor insurers wont cover trackday damage. There is an increased "risk" for starters, but also on a trackday you are driving / riding outside of all the "norms" of the public highway. Speed Limits, Cornering Speeds, Braking Distances etc are all abandoned in the quest for your days fun and travelling at speed outside of the framework of regular highway use effectively removes the comfort of the "known" factors for insurers.

So is there any protection? Well tale comfort from this. In a test ruling at Wolverhampton County Court. His Honour Judge Mitchell concluded that if someone crashes into you on a trackday, even if it is clearly their fault - then tough! The judgement followed a case where a driver under tuition collided with a track day participant who then sued for damages. In essence the judge's ruling is that anyone participating on a trackday is aware of the potential risks involved and has a choice of not driving on to the circuit. (Source: Circuitdriver.com, April 2007).

The disclaimers that are signed do have a bearing on the acceptance of the fact that everyone on the track has VOLUNTEERED to be there is the first place. No one is making you are anyone else get out there and no one is encouraging you to driver beyond speed you feel comfortable with. Race circuits are however an alien environment and can feel strange and wide open circuits like Silverstone can actually feel quite pedestrian - until it all starts going wrong. So, take responsibility for yourself, protect yourself and your machinery.
Old 20 September 2013, 08:49 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RICHARD J
If you cant afford to fix your car in the event of a crash then you take out track day insurance for your own car not anyone else's. Track day insurance is expensive when you consider it's for the day & if your car is worth 100k you wouldn't go on a track day as they would not cover you for a fair price. Race drivers can't claim offeach other so the same should apply to track days. Unless all track day insurance is fully comp then it should be banned & all drivers sign disclaimers not to sue anyone.
That's all I'd ever consider track day insurance for, after all most accident result from a driver running out of talent and putting themself into a barrier
Old 20 September 2013, 08:54 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

But it seems the previous case precident was not followed in this case?

Last edited by rickya; 20 September 2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 20 September 2013, 08:58 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
That's all I'd ever consider track day insurance for, after all most accident result from a driver running out of talent and putting themself into a barrier
spot on Jon, thats how I view it
Old 21 September 2013, 08:49 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53
Agree , and even have some recorded material where they just care about themselves ... Had this one situation recently where i got overtaken by one just before a corner and the he slammed on the brakes in front of me. Can you imagine my 1.5 ton car against his 600kg , would make a fuking sandwich out of him.... Every single track day i went they seem to expose themselves like total idiots im afraid.... Probably not all , but a lot for sure...

Originally Posted by Budgie
spot on Jon, thats how I view it
+1 .... and still never had one ... puts me to the edge, more composed , more challenging ...
Old 21 September 2013, 09:05 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

I love the looks on the caterhams faces when they cant keep up. Always makes my day
Old 21 September 2013, 10:34 AM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

My understanding of the insurance is IF in case of an accident you are covered by the terms of the policy you have taken out. So if you was to be hit by an uninsured driver your car wont be just an expensive heap of metal that could cost a fortune to repair or replace! I mean if you was driving out on the public highway and an un-insured driver was to hit your car, would you sit there and think "Oh well these things happen" and not make a claim against the other driver?
Old 21 September 2013, 10:44 AM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EOEUMC
My understanding of the insurance is IF in case of an accident you are covered by the terms of the policy you have taken out. So if you was to be hit by an uninsured driver your car wont be just an expensive heap of metal that could cost a fortune to repair or replace! I mean if you was driving out on the public highway and an un-insured driver was to hit your car, would you sit there and think "Oh well these things happen" and not make a claim against the other driver?
Read the terms of any trackday policy, it covers YOUR car only, if you cause accident it covers YOUR car only & not the one you hit so this leaves evryone on a track day open to being personally sued wether insured or not, which is totally unfair. If the policies were fully comp for all risks then it would be a different matter, but the premiums would be huge.
Old 21 September 2013, 10:51 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Surely the only way out of this potential legal whirlpool is for track day operators to insist that every participant carries their own insurance. Either that or your track day fee includes such insurance.

Quick Reply: Trackday claim for hitting another car.