Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MOT and mapper problems + cats! ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2013, 02:46 PM
no_more_oil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MOT and mapper problems + cats! ;-)

Hi,

I have a couple of problems...
I've got a forged, 2.1 stroker sti8, lots of mods including Simtec ECU, S206, PE800cc, RCM headers, uprated fuel system etc. It's running 450+ at the moment and I have 2 issues.

My current very well known tuner seems to be determined to let me down. Sad as I've given them every chance to offer good service but they seem not to bothered about doing what they promised. A real shame as they are supposed to be a good bunch. I'm not going slurr anyone by name in public on here.

BTW: If you are a tuner and you read this and recognise this is about YOUR company then ring me up, I've called your office 4 times in 2 weeks and emailed twice and you still haven't had the common courtesy to return my call. It's just poor when I have explained explicitly that I am up against the clock and the logistics of getting in are a nightmare.

Anyway moving on...
1: I need a new mapper. Last time in the tuners, my car came back with a misfire due to a change that happened after it was mapped. It was known and agreed that this would be sorted for the price of a 'drink'. I needed the car back for personal reasons ( the tuner had it for 6 weeks) and I always had a deadline, the last minute problems meant no time for the mapper to come back in and sort the last minute issue. That now seems to be a distant memory. Let down - yes - but I'm trying to move on.

Steve Simpson mapped it (but it was not him at fault - Steve did the job for the tuner, not himself, so I never had contact with him direct.) because it was locked to another tuner, (locked because of IP). I presume it is now locked to SS. Have I got to pay some ridiculous amount to have it totally remapped as I've already doen this once in the last 100 miles!?
Does Steve operate on his own?

2: I need a new exhaust - preferably mail order to the continent! LOL. My current 3" str8 through H&S is too loud and it's not MOTable 'allegedly'! ;-) So every year my tuner and my exhaust goes through the MOT game - boring - tiresome - a pain in the ***. Enough said.
Basically I want to permanently change the exhaust to an MOT pass exhaust - I believe that will involve some cats - meooow! ;-) so I can MOT it anywhere I like without any changes. I want it to be quieter, circa 100db 5K rpm. Instead of the 107db 5k rpm now.
ANY recomendations?
What are the consequences to my power?
Can I get a quiet, MOT legal exhaust that will still allow 450bhp out of the noisy end? I realise the change in exhaust will require some mapping BUT it needs some mapping anyway.

PS: The car resides, 'mostly', in a foreign land but Surrey is a convenient area for me when it does come back. That said I've travelled the country trying to find a tuner who works like I want. So far I'm yet to find one I 100% have faith in.

Anyones thoughts are welcome... thanks in advance to you lovely folks who reply.

B
Old 11 September 2013, 02:58 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Would give Duncan (dynaracemix) a try or Simon (Jolly Green Monster) as they will come to you when needed. Both highly recommended.

As far as the exhaust system goes it sounds to me like a 100 cell sports cat downpipe might be worth a look to cure your mot worries, maybe a quieter back box also, something like a Prodrive box? I'm sure the mappers will be able to advise better though.
Old 11 September 2013, 03:18 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You're always more than welcome to bring the car back here, we built it originally after all
Old 11 September 2013, 03:29 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve Simpson maps direct his numbers 07836 635001
Old 11 September 2013, 03:37 PM
no_more_oil
Scooby Regular

Hi Martyn,

It's just too far out of my way mate. I kept it up for 2 years and then just couldn't do the journey any more. It simply used to cost me a fortune and a days travelling before I'd even got to your place, if it was in for a week it was easiest for me to hang around but that just cost even more. That's the main reason I changed.

No doubt you know who I'm talking about when I say 'the tuner' as I reckon they contacted you to try and get in to your maps. I know mappers are protective of their IP but I don't really get why - and I've been in software development for 15 years so I have a valid perspective.

I'm intrigued to hear your side of that though. Every car is different and hence so is every map - so why do mappers lock ECUs?
Are there really tricks in a map that another mapper would love to learn? It's a genuine question.

BTW: It cost me £500 and 2 weeks waiting around to get back in that ECU and have a full map... when it simply didn't need one. It just needed an update. I think because of that sort of thing I'm generally a bit disillusioned with the UK PRO mapping scene. But maybe that's just me...
Old 11 September 2013, 03:41 PM
no_more_oil
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info Kedlestone & JGM.

100 cell cat looks ok. Any issues with doing that?

If I do that and a quiet box what can I anticipate in power loss? Just a rough idea would be nice.

Is it going to be a passion killer?
Old 11 September 2013, 03:46 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

And this is why I think I will stay away from modifying my motor!

Trending Topics

Old 11 September 2013, 03:46 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by no_more_oil
...2: I need a new exhaust - preferably mail order to the continent! LOL. My current 3" str8 through H&S is too loud and it's not MOTable 'allegedly'! ;-) So every year my tuner and my exhaust goes through the MOT game - boring - tiresome - a pain in the ***. Enough said.
Basically I want to permanently change the exhaust to an MOT pass exhaust - I believe that will involve some cats - meooow! ;-) so I can MOT it anywhere I like without any changes. I want it to be quieter, circa 100db 5K rpm. Instead of the 107db 5k rpm now.
ANY recomendations?
What are the consequences to my power?
Can I get a quiet, MOT legal exhaust that will still allow 450bhp out of the noisy end? I realise the change in exhaust will require some mapping BUT it needs some mapping anyway...

Anyones thoughts are welcome... thanks in advance to you lovely folks who reply.

B
http://www.cobrasport.com/exhaust/Su...1-07%29/31/0/0

The second from bottom option:-

SB31 Subaru Impreza Turbo WRX and STI (01-07) - 3 Inch Turbo-Back System - Trackday Friendly - Quieter

Choose the 200cell downpipe option and you're good to go re. MOT time too.

The combo means a dB of <90.

Last edited by joz8968; 11 September 2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11 September 2013, 03:56 PM
no_more_oil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
http://www.cobrasport.com/exhaust/Su...1-07%29/31/0/0

The second from bottom option:-

SB31 Subaru Impreza Turbo WRX and STI (01-07) - 3 Inch Turbo-Back System - Trackday Friendly - Quieter

Choose the 200 cell downpipe option and you're good to go re. MOT time too.

The combo means a dB of <90.
Thanks for the info, I'll check that out.

PS: <90 - steady on lets not go too far now eh!
Old 11 September 2013, 04:02 PM
SAM-UK300
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a nice prodrive system for sale
Old 11 September 2013, 04:33 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info Kedlestone & JGM.

100 cell cat looks ok. Any issues with doing that?

If I do that and a quiet box what can I anticipate in power loss? Just a rough idea would be nice.

Is it going to be a passion killer?
When you mention 'power' do you literally mean the numbers or also to the attendent decrease in performance?

In normal use I don't think you'd notice (the) degradation if it drops by 5% or so.
Mine 'felt' sharper at lower revs after a 7% or so uplift, and although I'm happy with the result it isn't something I could really measure.

If you are concerned about the car feeling more sluggish (strange word for 450 bhp scooby I know) you'd have to lose at least 25bhp imo.

Whether that's likely or realistic I don't know - but I bet someone one here does.
Old 11 September 2013, 04:34 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Martyn,

It's just too far out of my way mate. I kept it up for 2 years and then just couldn't do the journey any more. It simply used to cost me a fortune and a days travelling before I'd even got to your place, if it was in for a week it was easiest for me to hang around but that just cost even more. That's the main reason I changed.
No problem, understand entirely the distance thing !
No doubt you know who I'm talking about when I say 'the tuner' as I reckon they contacted you to try and get in to your maps. I know mappers are protective of their IP but I don't really get why - and I've been in software development for 15 years so I have a valid perspective.

I'm intrigued to hear your side of that though. Every car is different and hence so is every map - so why do mappers lock ECUs?
Are there really tricks in a map that another mapper would love to learn? It's a genuine question.
We all have our own way of doing things, little snippets of info that we've collected over the years that we don't want to share with others.
BTW: It cost me £500 and 2 weeks waiting around to get back in that ECU and have a full map... when it simply didn't need one. It just needed an update. I think because of that sort of thing I'm generally a bit disillusioned with the UK PRO mapping scene. But maybe that's just me...
To be fair, Steve isn't best placed to deal with Alcatek ecus as he's in direct competition with them, he now sells his own brand of ecu.
We've had a lot of input to the development of the Alcatek ecu and are much better placed to sort both the issues you have and tuning the latest software if indeed that is what it's on.
It's a trek, but it'd be worth it

P.S We also sell the specific 100 cel sport cat you'd require for your S206 as a standard Subaru flanged version won't be of any use.

Last edited by MartynJ; 11 September 2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11 September 2013, 06:13 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

P.S We also sell the specific 100 cel sport cat you'd require for your S206 as a standard Subaru flanged version won't be of any use.
Oops sorry. Totally overlooked he mentioned that turbo.
Old 11 September 2013, 07:48 PM
no_more_oil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap
When you mention 'power' do you literally mean the numbers or also to the attendent decrease in performance?

In normal use I don't think you'd notice (the) degradation if it drops by 5% or so.
Mine 'felt' sharper at lower revs after a 7% or so uplift, and although I'm happy with the result it isn't something I could really measure.

If you are concerned about the car feeling more sluggish (strange word for 450 bhp scooby I know) you'd have to lose at least 25bhp imo.

Whether that's likely or realistic I don't know - but I bet someone one here does.
I don't find 450bhp sluggish, but I've had that sort of power or more for 4 years and it's fair to say I'm very used to it. There are no surprises or moments of wow any more. I'm sure some can relate, probably those who've got up in to the high 500's :-)

I know I'd notice power drops because of maps I've had before. But you are right for me to be bothered it would need to be 20bhp or more difference.
Old 11 September 2013, 08:34 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Revolution 3" system is one of the quietest on the market, coupled with a suitable sports catted downpipe and you're good to go.
Old 11 September 2013, 10:06 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Miltek 3' system on mine with Cat, passes the 98db test at Goodwood and also MOTs at 440.
Old 13 September 2013, 06:27 PM
no_more_oil
Scooby Regular

thanks EVERYONE for all the feedback and the PMs too. :-)

special thanks to Alan & Martyn for the PMs and for ensuring I didn't accidentally buy a part - standard 3" cat down pipe - which I've since learnt was never going to fit my S206 turbo.

still quite a bit to ponder - £500 for a downpipe with a cat for my setup.
it goes against my nature to spend money to make my car slower.
+ yet another ecu reset and full remap etc.

Still no word from the tuner who's left me hanging.

PS: going to fit replace my PF rotors & pads this weekend, judder be gone!
Old 13 September 2013, 09:46 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok then....who is "the tuner". You know, Martyn knows, does the tuner know about this thread?

Shaun
Old 13 September 2013, 10:10 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Ok then....who is "the tuner". You know, Martyn knows, does the tuner know about this thread?

Shaun
I (sort of) agree with this Shaun.

When I saw the original post I thought "oops, there's loads of 'tuners' and potentially every one of them are going to get tarred".

The reason I say 'sort of' is that I can understand NMO not naming them ( and in a way that's decent of the op) but it does leave all others open to doubt.

OP - give 'the tuner' the heads up and give them the chance to explain.

(I feel another 'been dun....no you haven't' thread is about to be born....)
Old 13 September 2013, 10:27 PM
no_more_oil
Scooby Regular

They are well known and well respected by many - they may have their reasons for not returning my calls/emails in 2 weeks - but as they haven't called me I have no idea what those reasons might be.
They have been invited to explain the situation, they just haven't go figure!

Basically I said if anyone asks me via PM "I'm about to use tuner XYZ, is it them" and it is this same tuner, then I'd say IMHO don't use them. I think that's fair because that is my opinion, which I'm entitled too.

I've not used their name on here because I've seen how it can get out of hand when people start shooting their mouths off. Not my style. I'm more your silent but deadly type.

To be honest its more "disappointing" than a case of "I've been f!cked" - if it had been the latter then you'd ALL know.
Old 13 September 2013, 10:37 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

They are well known and well respected by many - they may have their reasons for not returning my calls/emails in 2 weeks - but as they haven't called me I have no idea what those reasons might be.
They have been invited to explain the situation, they just haven't go figure!

Basically I said if anyone asks me via PM "I'm about to use tuner XYZ, is it them" and it is this same tuner, then I'd say IMHO don't use them. I think that's fair because that is my opinion, which I'm entitled too.

I've not used their name on here because I've seen how it can get out of hand when people start shooting their mouths off. Not my style. I'm more your silent but deadly type.

To be honest its more "disappointing" than a case of "I've been f!cked" - if it had been the latter then you'd ALL know.
Fwiw I think that's a pretty good way of going about this.
Old 13 September 2013, 10:47 PM
no_more_oil
Scooby Regular

Yep life's too short mate.

I've moved on.

Wheels are in motion to get her fixed up.