Clutch problem. won't disengage

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2013, 09:12 PM
zakscooby1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problem. won't disengage

Ok sorry if his had been covered a number of times
Clutch won't disengage, it's a brand new ACT clutch with standard 6 speed flywheel,installed correctly around 3weeks ago and not tested it due to custom/fabrication work on the car holding it back.
Gears go in ok when engine is off,but the biting point is right down and when trying to start the car in 1st gear with clutch down it tries to jump forward
Now master and slave were both ok before but I changed slave anyway just to be sure, I have bled it but still no luck
I have read on nasioc someone said they had same problem and it seemed after driving it 1st and 2nd gear it went ok and he reckons it was due to the oily residue that comes on act clutch
Has anyone come across this similar issue before as it seems like a few people have with the ACT?
Zak
Old 27 August 2013, 10:28 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by zakscooby1
Ok sorry if his had been covered a number of times
Clutch won't disengage, it's a brand new ACT clutch with standard 6 speed flywheel,installed correctly around 3weeks ago and not tested it due to custom/fabrication work on the car holding it back.
Gears go in ok when engine is off,but the biting point is right down and when trying to start the car in 1st gear with clutch down it tries to jump forward
Now master and slave were both ok before but I changed slave anyway just to be sure, I have bled it but still no luck
I have read on nasioc someone said they had same problem and it seemed after driving it 1st and 2nd gear it went ok and he reckons it was due to the oily residue that comes on act clutch
Has anyone come across this similar issue before as it seems like a few people have with the ACT?
Zak
This takes two people, but make sure the slave cylinder is pushing the arm all the way when you pump the pedal. If you can see the arm going all the way in both directions (in and out) and can feel the pressure of the clutch spring, you can assume the hydraulics are ok. Poor hydraulics always result in a limp pedal. If it still won't disengage, even though the pedal is to the floor and the lever has moved full travel, I'd blame the clutch cover for not pulling the pressure plate off the driven plate. If the gearbox first motion shaft is still turning when the clutch is in, the synchros will prevent you from going into gear.
An oily residue could explain slip, but not your problem.
Old 28 August 2013, 10:37 PM
zakscooby1
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
This takes two people, but make sure the slave cylinder is pushing the arm all the way when you pump the pedal. If you can see the arm going all the way in both directions (in and out) and can feel the pressure of the clutch spring, you can assume the hydraulics are ok. Poor hydraulics always result in a limp pedal. If it still won't disengage, even though the pedal is to the floor and the lever has moved full travel, I'd blame the clutch cover for not pulling the pressure plate off the driven plate. If the gearbox first motion shaft is still turning when the clutch is in, the synchros will prevent you from going into gear.
An oily residue could explain slip, but not your problem.
I removed the slave cylinder today and it had movement,looking down after removing the rubber I can see the fork is attached aswell as release bearing,moving by hand it still goes in and out but under load maybe another story?
I haven't had time to take it out but will try tomorrow

Alan Just to add,the clutch wasn't torqued down, it was tightened by hand if that makes it easier?

Last edited by zakscooby1; 28 August 2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 28 August 2013, 10:42 PM
Simon Gunson
Scooby Regular

The clutch hasn't binded has it? Mine was like that. I had to get it in first with the engine off, hold foot on clutch and on brake, and turn it over till it released. It was then fine.
Old 28 August 2013, 10:44 PM
Simon Gunson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon Gunson
The clutch hasn't binded has it? Mine was like that. I had to get it in first with the engine off, hold foot on clutch and on brake, and turn it over till it released. It was then fine.
The clutch hasn't stuck to the fly wheel has it? Don't think my other first sentence was correct.
Old 28 August 2013, 10:48 PM
zakscooby1
Scooby Regular

simon, yesterday I drove the car out a few feet but like I say the biting point was all the way down,i have refitted slave today and blead the clutch but haven't tested it due to sorting other little wiring jobs and tidying up interior unfortunately
Old 28 August 2013, 10:56 PM
Simon Gunson
Scooby Regular

I drove mine about 50, but didn't have my foot on the brake. Waited till my dad got home and he said just turn it over with foot on brake and clutch and it will release. It did

Trending Topics

Old 28 August 2013, 10:58 PM
Simon Gunson
Scooby Regular

Clutch pedal was also at the floor. Returned to normal afterwards. Not sure why it had locked on as I have been driving a couple of days previously
Old 28 August 2013, 10:58 PM
Simon Gunson
Scooby Regular

Just make sure it is properly in gear.
Old 28 August 2013, 11:25 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Zak I think you misunderstood Alan,he is referring to the movement of the slave cylinder when in place operating the clutch.

That is IF I read it right.
Old 29 August 2013, 12:27 AM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

I had this problem when I had the engine out my car. When I installed it I had similar problems to you and it turned out it needed bled. The auto bleeder wouldnt clear it, it wasnt till I pushed the linkage back by hand (whilst releasing the nipple) that I cleared the airlock. After that clutch was fine.