Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Is it ok to use deionised water instead of distilled water with a meth injection kit?

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2013, 08:09 PM
serpico
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it ok to use deionised water instead of distilled water with a meth injection kit?

As above really. Does anyone have any experience in this field? Is there much difference?
Cheers
Old 25 August 2013, 08:48 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Interesting question as i have just started looking into water/meth injection . What kit do you have and what difference has it made?
Old 25 August 2013, 09:06 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

We are using usually Distilled water or normal water from tap,never hear about the people using deionised water

At moment we running AEM water methanol kit with largest jet,which is still not mapped,but on smallest jet from AEM we are made extra 15bhp and 40lb-ft torque

Jura
Old 25 August 2013, 09:12 PM
serpico
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopperman
Interesting question as i have just started looking into water/meth injection . What kit do you have and what difference has it made?
I have the AEM kit. It was already installed when I bought the car. From what I'm led to believe it assists in lower inlet temps, less chance of detonation & run more boost/timing. I think it adds/squeezes a few more horses, safely!
I just want to see if there is any difference or safety issues in the water types.
Old 25 August 2013, 09:22 PM
serpico
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi there

We are using usually Distilled water or normal water from tap,never hear about the people using deionised water

At moment we running AEM water methanol kit with largest jet,which is still not mapped,but on smallest jet from AEM we are made extra 15bhp and 40lb-ft torque

Jura
Thanks for the reply Jura. I just thought using deionised water would be better than tap water & at the time I couldn't find distilled water. I too am running the AEM kit though I'm not sure what jet mine is on, I suspect the smallest. I'm running 50/50.
Cheers
Old 25 August 2013, 09:22 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Deionised water and distilled water are pure water that uses a different process to get the same result. Distilled uses heat to evaporate the water into steam then is cooled and collected. deionised water uses a chemical filter to remove the crap.

So yes you can use either.

Have a look in your kettle and see if there is any scale in there. If not your tap water should be okay

Last edited by 360ste; 25 August 2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 25 August 2013, 09:28 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by serpico
Thanks for the reply Jura. I just thought using deionised water would be better than tap water & at the time I couldn't find distilled water. I too am running the AEM kit though I'm not sure what jet mine is on, I suspect the smallest. I'm running 50/50.
Cheers
You can buy water methanol jets from AEM(part number for jets is 30-3012)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AEM-Water-Me...-/380407972031

With smallest jet as above we made 15bhp/40lb-ft more on 65% water and 35% methanol

Jura
Old 25 August 2013, 09:29 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

I have the AEM kit. It was already installed when I bought the car. From what I'm led to believe it assists in lower inlet temps, less chance of detonation & run more boost/timing. I think it adds/squeezes a few more horses, safely!
I just want to see if there is any difference or safety issues in the water types.
Yeah, sorry for the hijack mate, just something i have recently been looking into
Old 25 August 2013, 09:31 PM
serpico
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 360ste
Deionised water and distilled water are pure water that uses a different process to get the same result. Distilled uses heat to evaporate the water into steam then is cooled and collected. deionised water uses a chemical filter to remove the crap.

Have a look in your kettle and see if there is any scale in there. If not your tap water should be okay
Cheers Ste, my mind is at rest now!
Old 25 August 2013, 09:35 PM
serpico
Scooby Regular

Yeah, sorry for the hijack mate, just something i have recently been looking into
No probs at all my mate. What sort of spec/mods do you have currently? Think it's a nice bit of kit to extract a few more horses!
Old 25 August 2013, 09:37 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

We used to filter it for aircraft batteries and worked to a high standard of purity. As I commented about looking at you kettle, if you use a water filter jug that will be okay as it removes the rubbish that will build up and eventually block the jets and pipework. I used to have a water injection kit on my Scooby but due to the feed pump failing the HP pump bust so removed it.
Old 25 August 2013, 09:37 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 360ste

Living in the south of england my kettle/ hot water tank ect is limed up. I only ever used distilled water in my car (ic water spray,coolant, windscreen washers). Surely tap water in a hard water would block the jets eventually in a water / meth system ?
Old 25 August 2013, 09:51 PM
serpico
Scooby Regular

I live in Manchester. So water is pretty much limescale free. Though I still wouldn't use tap water hence the deionised water.
Old 25 August 2013, 10:31 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

I live in Manchester. So water is pretty much limescale free. Though I still wouldn't use tap water hence the deionised water.
Northern fairys, can't handle our hard southern water Seriously, owning a black car im jealous.
Old 25 August 2013, 11:36 PM
serpico
Scooby Regular

Northern fairys, can't handle our hard southern water Seriously, owning a black car im jealous.
Lol. I thought its northern monkeys & southern fairies ?! To be fair I visit darn sarf quite a bit & I can't stand drinking the tap water! So it's certainly not going anywhere near my pride & joy either!
Old 25 August 2013, 11:42 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Lol. I thought its northern monkeys & southern fairies ?! To be fair I visit darn sarf quite a bit & I can't stand drinking the tap water! So it's certainly not going anywhere near my pride & joy either!
You watch to much lock stock I had a shower in Liverpool, I thought oooh i feel slimmy and soft. Not used to that water but the tea tasted nice.
Old 26 August 2013, 12:12 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Right then.

Water is water is water, whatever the state it's in.

In its natural state it has a lot of bits dissolved in it - nitrates, sulphates, Lord knows what.

Boiled away (the water that is) these 'additions' produce residue that will appear as 'limescale', as in kettles.

A lot of these 'additives' exist as ions (don't worry about knowing what these are), and 'de-ionisation' will remove these.

However, as I said "a lot of", not all.

Distilling will remove everything, and you end up with pure water, which contains absolutely NOTHING.

That means absolutely NOTHING to coat your Intercooler, NOTHING to coat it with a white substance, and therefore NOTHING to have to do to your Intercooler to make it look as good as new to anyone viewing it.

However, distilled water is as expensive as decent fuel
Old 26 August 2013, 12:18 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap
Right then.

Water is water is water, whatever the state it's in.

In its natural state it has a lot of bits dissolved in it - nitrates, sulphates, Lord knows what.

Boiled away (the water that is) these 'additions' produce residue that will appear as 'limescale', as in kettles.

A lot of these 'additives' exist as ions (don't worry about knowing what these are), and 'de-ionisation' will remove these.

However, as I said "a lot of", not all.

Distilling will remove everything, and you end up with pure water, which contains absolutely NOTHING.

That means absolutely NOTHING to coat your Intercooler, NOTHING to coat it with a white substance, and therefore NOTHING to have to do to your Intercooler to make it look as good as new to anyone viewing it.

However, distilled water is as expensive as decent fuel
i'm picking it up in inexcess for £1.75 for 5 Liters. Probably the cheapest treat i buy my RB320
Old 26 August 2013, 12:53 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

i'm picking it up in inexcess for £1.75 for 5 Liters. Probably the cheapest treat i buy my RB320
Definitely.
When I bought mine and looked around it was something like £25 for 5 litres.

Fortunately neither the previous one nor I drive so as to use any such a quantity of coolant.

(Or at least Kev RIP, kept it topped up).