Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dump valve

im after a dump valve but were to get one, what should I be paying ? thanx
Old 24 August 2013, 08:15 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Ask Tubbytommy. He is the resident expert on here.

Last edited by Maz; 24 August 2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 24 August 2013, 08:36 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-imp...item48555394e5
Old 24 August 2013, 08:53 PM
mnem1c
Scooby Regular

https://www.google.co.uk
Old 24 August 2013, 09:26 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

What's wrong with the standard dump valve?

Old 24 August 2013, 09:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Oh, dear God.........
Old 24 August 2013, 09:55 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

You love it really!
Old 24 August 2013, 10:32 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

^ tame ^
Old 24 August 2013, 10:38 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Can we please make a sticky thread for dump valves?

OP - if you want a dump valve I'd recommend a Forge Recirc or a GFB Respons or if you are budget limited look for the discontinued part GFB Stealth FX Pro. I would not recommend running a full VTA system based on what I have learned.

Balance Motorsport and Scoobyworld are the best place to look as far as I have found.
Old 24 August 2013, 10:44 PM
EssexJamie
Scooby Regular

Halfords......
Old 24 August 2013, 10:50 PM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy

Can we please make a sticky thread for dump valves?

OP - if you want a dump valve I'd recommend a Forge Recirc or a GFB Respons or if you are budget limited look for the discontinued part GFB Stealth FX Pro. I would not recommend running a full VTA system based on what I have learned.

Balance Motorsport and Scoobyworld are the best place to look as far as I have found.
Why not VTA?
Old 24 August 2013, 10:52 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big 'D'
Why not VTA?
Really.... Seriously?????
Old 24 August 2013, 11:00 PM
LDNSTi
Scooby Regular

Funny thread lol.
Old 24 August 2013, 11:02 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

When you use a VTA it messes up the fuelling due to the ECU being told by the MAF sensor how much air is being drawn in. The ECU then calculates how much fuel to add, when the VTA dump valve bleeds off air this causes the car to run rich. The potential is bore wash and fuel getting past the piston rings into the oil degrading it and screwing up the engine.
Old 24 August 2013, 11:03 PM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cpt Jack Sparrow
Really.... Seriously?????
Yes seriously, it's an important part of my current setup and also on tens of other cars I have setup. It took a few years of R+D to get it right but everyone running my setup is happy with it, I am just curious as to why VTA is hated so much.
Old 24 August 2013, 11:25 PM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 360ste
When you use a VTA it messes up the fuelling due to the ECU being told by the MAF sensor how much air is being drawn in. The ECU then calculates how much fuel to add, when the VTA dump valve bleeds off air this causes the car to run rich. The potential is bore wash and fuel getting past the piston rings into the oil degrading it and screwing up the engine.
What if I told you that a VTA can be setup to eradicate that problem. 70% of the cars I have setup run Ecutek with the MAF still in place and none of them have any issues at idle or on boost. You will only get issues with VTA and the MAF if you have it set to dump everything, a good VTA can be set and matched to run perfectly with your current setup and give zero running/fuelling issues.
Old 24 August 2013, 11:37 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

What if I told you that a VTA can be setup to eradicate that problem. 70% of the cars I have setup run Ecutek with the MAF still in place and none of them have any issues at idle or on boost. You will only get issues with VTA and the MAF if you have it set to dump everything, a good VTA can be set and matched to run perfectly with your current setup and give zero running/fuelling issues.
This is interesting !
Someone prepared to stand their ground.
Old 24 August 2013, 11:39 PM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap
This is interesting !
Someone prepared to stand their ground.
Always have been
Old 24 August 2013, 11:56 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

i want a dump valve that flutters instead of pssssst, how do i do it or what dv does it anyone know?
Old 25 August 2013, 12:08 AM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *matthewturb2000*
i want a dump valve that flutters instead of pssssst, how do i do it or what dv does it anyone know?
It's more about how much volume of charge air you have to play with, FMIC is better for the flutter noise you are after, then you have 2 options really set a Recirc or VTA so that it retains some charge air in the Intercooler and associated pipework which will cause a slight compressor stall and give you the noise you are after at low boost levels, or blank off the DV port and you will have it right through the boost range however that puts huge stress on the turbo and stalls the compressor violently on lift off from full boost, making gear changes potentially jerky and lagy

Last edited by Big 'D'; 25 August 2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old 25 August 2013, 12:19 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got to be a wind up this one
The residential dump valve advisors have moved away from scoobynet and have moved to fb
Please contact tubby for authorisation to join us for a 'discussion '
Entry is free as long as you post a picture if your car so we can discuss its suitability for a dv

Ppppssssttttt
Old 25 August 2013, 12:48 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hence the reason I said "full VTA". I drove an RB320 with a VTA Forge item and it ran like a bag of nails, yet experimented massively with my GFB Stealth FX on a blob and found little problems below 25% VTA.

I run my GFB full recirc and largely use it as a piece of engine bay bling but understand that there may be some advantage to running slight VTA. If someone wants to comprehensively explain why VTA is good or beneficial I'm open to ideas - please put it on here or the "official thread" I started a while back.

As for flutter I can easily get the flutter sound if I whack the spring up to max, but haven't chosen to keep it like that.
Old 25 August 2013, 01:07 AM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
Hence the reason I said "full VTA". I drove an RB320 with a VTA Forge item and it ran like a bag of nails, yet experimented massively with my GFB Stealth FX on a blob and found little problems below 25% VTA.

I run my GFB full recirc and largely use it as a piece of engine bay bling but understand that there may be some advantage to running slight VTA. If someone wants to comprehensively explain why VTA is good or beneficial I'm open to ideas - please put it on here or the "official thread" I started a while back.

As for flutter I can easily get the flutter sound if I whack the spring up to max, but haven't chosen to keep it like that.
VTA is good because it is simply the fastest and most efficient way of getting rid of unused charge air with minimal effect on the compressor and if setup correctly will run with zero faults. This is only my opinion and is the result of several years of testing, where I have found that DV port size, spring ratings, spring travel and the speed at which the DV opens/reacts are all very important when choosing and setting up a VTA
Old 25 August 2013, 01:07 AM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Fair enough, that is my understanding and equates to people fitting a VTA without being re-mapped. As some people do not fully realise the effects and as you have added this can be mapped out.

On my Scooby I run a MAP sensor due to my stand alone ECU so no issues for me.
Old 25 August 2013, 01:20 AM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 360ste
Fair enough, that is my understanding and equates to people fitting a VTA without being re-mapped. As some people do not fully realise the effects and as you have added this can be mapped out.

On my Scooby I run a MAP sensor due to my stand alone ECU so no issues for me.
What I was trying to say there mate was that a VTA can be setup to eradicate the issues normally associated with VTA without the requirement for a remap.
Old 25 August 2013, 07:22 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

But will the op actually bother to remap the car just to run a fart valve? My 2005 came with a HKS one. Didn't actually run too bad and I'm still getting pops and bangs from the sports cat exhaust since I fitted a standard valve. Just felt like a tit every time the HKS shat its pants. may be its a maturity thing!
Old 25 August 2013, 10:25 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

What I was trying to say there mate was that a VTA can be setup to eradicate the issues normally associated with VTA without the requirement for a remap.
a) so why buy a VTA then? Why not a hybrid?

b)Surely, what you are saying isn't to use a VTA, then? Yet your initial spiel will give more ammo to those who don't know, and nor do they want to know, they just want the noise..........
Old 25 August 2013, 10:37 AM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
a) so why buy a VTA then? Why not a hybrid?
That's is down to personal choice, as far as I can figure out the only down side to the VTA is the noise, if setup correctly there are no running issues and improvements can be made in through the gears acceleration by managing the charge air correctly.
Originally Posted by alcazar
b)Surely, what you are saying isn't to use a VTA, then? Yet your initial spiel will give more ammo to those who don't know, and nor do they want to know, they just want the noise..........
How do you figure this? I highly recommend using VTA, through all the testing I have done it has proven to be the most efficient and manageable way of dealing with surplus charge air. However it must be setup to suit your car, if you just slap on any old VTA you are asking for issues.

Cheers Iain

Last edited by Big 'D'; 25 August 2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 25 August 2013, 11:09 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

However it must be setup to suit your car, if you just slap on any old VTA you are asking for issues.

Cheers Iain
Isn't this what most people do? I have never heard of anyone paying £200+ to map their car for a fart valve!
Old 25 August 2013, 11:31 AM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Isn't this what most people do? I have never heard of anyone paying £200+ to map their car for a fart valve!
I have never heard of anyone specifically having a remap carried out purely for the fitment of a VTA, however some have mentioned that a remap is required in order to get your engine running right after fitting a VTA, this is what I was responding to. Saying that its the VTA that should be set correctly to avoid running/fuelling issues.

Also I have not met anyone who has setup their VTA to match their cars current setup

Cheers Iain

Quick Reply: dump valve