Sponsored by:

Hi Yorkie & Tony_W - brake squeal?

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2002, 11:13 AM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Yorkie and Tony_W (and anyone else with this problem) -->

glad to see in another thread somewhere that it's not just me - I've done around 2K in my new MY02 and I get the same damn annoying brake squeal, but only under light pressure, not proper braking. Very annoying though when pulling up to the light or in a traffic jam.

I've also noticed that the front brake calipers have gone from black to white/green - ie. oxidised in some way. Do you have this as well? I was thinking it was something to do with them getting hot, but I wouldn't exactly expect this problem on a new car.

I'm still awaiting a response from Sevenoaks Subaru dealership on both these questions.

cheers ears
DaveR
Old 22 May 2002, 11:16 AM
ice man
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I have exactly the same squeal coming from my brakes. I called my Subaru dealer and was told that this is a fault with the cars and is due to brake dust. They told me I can bring the car in and they will take the wheels off and clean up the brakes but after a while it will come back.....great!!
Old 22 May 2002, 11:37 AM
Active
Scooby Regular

Angry

DaveR, My brakes squeel just like yours, ie under light braking. The dealer said there are about 5 different pads for this model (2002) but offered no further help!.
Have you used Wonder Wheels, I did because of the enormous amount of brake dust. Once I used it all the black paint was removed leaving a green surface. It didn`t occur when I washed the wheels normally, only when I used W.W. Makes me wonder! excuse the pun...Now I have the job of painting them..Bloody annoying.
Bob
Old 22 May 2002, 11:44 AM
Tony_W
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Dave,
My car is in at the moment for 5th gear synchro repair + ANOTHER LOOK AT THE BRAKE SQUEAL...I'll let you all know the results when I get the car back form Gibsons of Brock. I sent them the thread about the oil and the filing of the 2 points on the pads...

Tony
Old 22 May 2002, 07:48 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

I think I can just about live with it. If you ease of the pedal just before coming to a final standstill at traffic lights etc it eases it a little. Like I said in my other post it disappaears after I get motoring anyway. In fact I don't think it was as bad today on the trip to work.

I wonder if the Prodrive uprated front brake pad set (£146 from dealers) would cure it ?

Yorkie