1st Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2013, 06:54 PM
Yardz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 1st Impreza

hi all.

over the past year ive been helping my dad (edsel) rebuild a 96RA.
needless to say after the first drive the Scooby bug has bitten.

so im now looking into getting my first scoob. Im not after masses of power just after something that when I stab the right pedal something actually happens. I've done some searches with insurance quotes and they seem to be all over the shop. ive been looking at few turbo 2000's and seem to be one of the cheaper ones to insure.

any advice or experience especially from a young drivers POV would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Joe
Old 17 August 2013, 08:18 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Buy with the head and not the heart. Follow the usual caveats and take your dad along to view any prospective purchase. Generally cars on forums are usually better cared for than ones on the likes of Gumtree. Above all if you don't like the seller or mistrust him/her walk away.
Old 17 August 2013, 08:24 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wise words, Maz. Far too many people buy the first half decent one they see, I nearly did myself. It had similar mileage 8 years ago, to what mine now has 8 years later, if that makes sense.

How old are you Joe, any experience of performance cars of your own? That helps with insurance.
Old 17 August 2013, 08:28 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

I brought a classic myself when I was 21, I went for a 2000turbo. "W". I also found the uk cars better to Insure. Well I couldnt get a wrx or sti insured at all . I went for a later 99/00 classic as I found them a better base car. The came with the mid spoiler (version 4) and the subaru 4pots as standard, not the best brakes but with some decent disk, pad and fluid they aren't too bad. Cosmetic wise the later cars had coloured coded mirros and handles, prefer the interior too. I insured mine with elephant over the last few years and I'm now 23 And pay £500. The later classics with a remap, decat, filter can make 270-280bhp which makes a good road car, whilst maintaining reliability and fuel economy ( as such).
Old 17 August 2013, 08:31 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

^ as above take your time, It took me ages to fine a decent one, be prefered to pay "average price", the cheap ones can be dogs And its not nice to be burnt. Some cheap ones can be alright but buy from a fan rather than boy racer
Old 18 August 2013, 05:09 PM
Yardz
Scooby Regular

I'm near as good as 25 with 5 years ncb. Never owned any performance cars but I've played in a few over the past couple of years

I know they'res lots of dogs about. And it's actually quiet shocking when u see cars with about battery clamps claiming excess of 300bhp with body work hanging off.
I'd rather hang out n get the right car as its probably financially going to cripple me. But I'm not bothered about that if I get gleaming smiles every time I turn the key.
Old 19 August 2013, 12:17 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

The first scooby you have will ALWAYS seem brilliant, simply because you will never have experienced anything like it.

That's why it's important to get advice, in order to ensure that what you buy will be as good for you for as long as you own it.

There's active threads on here giving newcomers advice on what to look for.

Do the same, is my advice.
When you have your sights on one let us know, and get guaranteed good advice.

Happy hunting !