Sponsored by:

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2013, 07:58 AM
Graylen
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help

Hey, what's up guys, I'm really new here so my bad if i screw up doing something. I am stressing pretty hard over this dilemma that I have right now. I currently own a Lexus IS300 5spd and it's great, however I am moving to the snow soon and have always dreamed of owning an STI and have decided to buy one. I've decided to buy one brand new because I can't stand not knowing what has really been done in a car when I would like to buy it. However, I have been doing a lot of research and many people say that the new WRX's are just as fast if not faster than the STI's stock. So my question is, do you think the brand new STI is really worth the comfort of knowing anything and everything that has been done in the car in comparison with the cost of it. Or should I just suck it up and buy an used 06-07 model, because those are my favorite, even thought I wouldn't know how it has been driven before me? I know it's kind of confusing, but anyone's help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 16 August 2013, 08:31 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The WRX is a bit lighter and is geared differently so in some configurations can bash out quicker 0-60 times.

But that's about it, in gear and across the range the STi is faster and also a more capable car. It also has an adjustable central diff so you can put it onto a setting that is better for the conditions, e.g. Snow is the diff lock setting.

I suspect being in the USA that your only choice will be the 2.5 STi engine and you'll have no access to other models. They tend to run around 300bhp and are pretty quick, it'll feel a lot faster than your Lexus. If you decide to tune it then you can have a look at tuning houses like Crawford and Perrin.

I would recommend putting winter tyres on your car if you plan to run the car on snow. Many STi Imprezas are fitted with summer sport rubber as standard which is really terrible in icy conditions!
Old 16 August 2013, 08:33 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

By the way, you might want to buy an 06-07 model with a "forged engine" as these cars can suffer from head gasket problems, later ones would appear more prone to it.

Sets of uprated head gaskets bolted down with uprated studs and a set of forged pistons are what to look for as a fix to stop it happening
Old 16 August 2013, 11:33 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
By the way, you might want to buy an 06-07 model with a "forged engine" as these cars can suffer from head gasket problems, later ones would appear more prone to it.

Sets of uprated head gaskets bolted down with uprated studs and a set of forged pistons are what to look for as a fix to stop it happening
Subaru USoA have recognised the 2.5 failures and have an extensive plan of re-builds via dealers, they have "a Lemon Law" which holds water in court. The yanks are far more agressive when it comes to protecting the consumer

Have a look on NASIOC for all the information you can eat!

IM UK are sh*te and will never put such a plan into action.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64
Old 16 August 2013, 06:50 PM
Graylen
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help. I will most likely go with the new sti. To be honest, i know a decent amount about cars in the sense of just looking at them in awe. Like all the different makes and models and engines they have and that BS.

However, i don't know much about upgrading. I'll be able to afford a few thousand dollars worth of mods down the road, any that you could recommend that would maximize performance within a reasonable cost.