Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Legacy GTB Help

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2002, 10:09 PM
PETER WALKER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I`ve recently bought the most amazing car ever- A 1996 Legacy GTB in British Racing Green and with the all important manual gearbox. Having owned a Legacy Turbo Estate previously the difference between the two cars is huge. Apart from the GTB being much quicker and far less lag. it`s the handling that is the biggest difference it really is fantastic!!
Anyway the main reason for this topic is the question that I`m sure has been asked many times before--Is it safe to use normal unleaded in the car? Super unleaded is not that plentiful up here in the highlands of Scotland.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks Peter Walker.
Old 22 May 2002, 12:40 AM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Super Unleaded or Optimax only I would have thought. Probably Ok to use Normal Unleaded occasionally if running low.(or add some octane booster)
Old 22 May 2002, 12:47 AM
yoza
BANNED

Talking

Yeah octaine booster will do the trick
Go to your local airport and get some avgas(aviation fuel)
we put it in moto-cross bikes goes like stink
Old 22 May 2002, 05:28 AM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Peter,

I only ever used SUL in my Legacy RS-B (saloon version of your GT-B), but was told when I bought it that it was OK to use NUL. However, I have some bottles of Millers Octane Plus which I no longer need and you're welcome to have foc. I'll be up in Fort Augustus next week if that's anywhere near you so let me know if you want them and I'll bring 'em up.

Brian
Old 22 May 2002, 05:39 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Peter,

Glad you are enjoying the car

Would try to keep her on a diet of SUL at least, better if possible.

They do work on NUL, but it is not recommended to drive hard or too long on that stuff without booster and/or Optimax top ups. THe internals are not STi, so running on poorer fuel can be risky...
Old 22 May 2002, 07:44 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Oh and don't use Avgas, it works great in 2 strokes, but you'll burn your valves out in a four stroke as there is none of the required additives you find in "normal" fuel
Old 22 May 2002, 12:57 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

friend of mine has had his GTB for nearly 2 years - always run on NUL, no problems.
Old 22 May 2002, 07:33 PM
PETER WALKER
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Another question, I`m assuming that the flat spot at around 4200rpm is normal and is the change from small turbo to large, is this correct?
Cheers
Old 22 May 2002, 07:52 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Yes. It has been called the "valley of death" but it's not really that bad and is easily coped with. It's caused by the intercooler gate opening to allow gas through to the second turbo at between 4000 and 4500 rpm. This has the effect of starving the primary turbo of exhaust gas so it spools down a bit (causing the dip in torque and power) before the larger turbo spools up and puts you back in your seat . It's a feature of sequential twin turbo systems and, with a bit of experience of timing your gear changes to minimise its effect, you may hardly notice it.

I experimented with a larger cat-back system on my RS-B to improve the gas flow and reduce the vod effect. It certainly worked but at the expense of moving the peak torque figure up the rev range thus making the car a little less tractable at lower speeds (but a real flyer at higher speeds). Given the choice, I'd have preferred to stay with the standard for day-to-day use (although the larger exhaust did sound good ).

By the way, the wise ones advise against removing the front (downpipe) cats, especially on the primary side, because the increased gas flow rate can put the turbos into overspin and can seriously shorten their life.

Enjoy the GT-B experience .

Brian
Old 22 May 2002, 09:49 PM
Ed Hodgson
Scooby Regular

Peter

The little pause during acceleration isn't really something you notice after a while. But VOD is most noticeable if you change up at 5-6K & the revs drop back below 4-4½. It feel like you've got no power at all for a couple of seconds

In normal driving you tend to keep it on the first turbo - below 4K, & then keep the revs right up if you're pushing on a bit

Ed
Old 23 May 2002, 10:22 PM
PETER WALKER
Scooby Regular

Thanks again guys.

I`m afraid I`ve got another question- I can`t seem to get the small auxiliary driving lamps that are set in the bumper next to the fog lights to come on. I`ve taken out the bulbs and they work and there are wires from the lights that disappear into the engine bay.There doesn`t seem to be a switch on the dash that turns them on.There are two switches to the right of the steering wheel for the front and rear fog lights, but I simply can`t find anything for thease other lights.Am I missing something obvious? I didn`t get a hand book with the car so I can`t refer to that,incidently does anyone know where I could get a handbook and/or a workshop manual for a GTB.

By the way Brian I live in Fort-Augustus, what brings you to this beautiful part of the world?

Pete.

Pete.

Old 23 May 2002, 11:45 PM
obi
Scooby Regular

Pete,

Fooled me for short while too. These are your 'turning' lights. When you have the lights on, using the indicators will illuminate the appropriate side.

Obi
Old 23 May 2002, 11:47 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Hi Peter,

The outer "fogs" are turning lights. Switch on dipped headlamps, then indicate right or left - the outer lights shine to light up the kerbs as you turn (left one comes on when indicating left, right one when indicating right ) Strangely effective on a dark night ....

My brother-in-law owns the Inchnacardoch Lodge Hotel - I'll be there Tuesday evening to Friday morning next week. Be happy to meet up and answer any other queries on your GT-B, and the offer of the Millers still stands.

Brian
Old 24 May 2002, 01:00 AM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Translated owner's manual for ur car is available from www.jpnz.co.nz . They're based in NZ & a copy costs abt £20.
I've ordered from them b4 & the manual itself is basically a Jap manual that's translated into English, with all the original diagrams together with the repective labels translated.
Old 24 May 2002, 05:28 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Peter (et al),

You may or may not know that there is a group of TT owners on the yahoo group legacyb4...lots of info and knowledge there too.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/legacyb4

Many of us obviously spend time on here too
Old 24 May 2002, 08:19 PM
PETER WALKER
Scooby Regular

At last the mystery of the lights is solved,thanks again everyone.

Brian, I`ll pop up to Inch` one evening next week for some more info and I`ll buy the Millers of you.

Cheers, Pete.
Old 25 May 2002, 02:41 AM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Look forward to seeing you then, Pete. Ask for Brian Hunter - I'll likely be in the bar Mobile No is 07736 794736 if you want to arrange a time.