Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where are STi's built

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2002, 09:01 PM
monkey_hanger
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Header says it all!! Thinking of buying a "UK Spec" STi from Virgin.com - they say the car is built in Cyprus. I seem to remember a post about Cypriot built cars or am I getting mixed up with country of registration.

Advice much appreciated!!!!
Old 21 May 2002, 09:05 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

I thought they were built in Hiroshima, Japan. My Forester was I'm sure. Some of the Impreza lads will perhaps answer this one.....Happy Computing..Blutes
Old 21 May 2002, 09:07 PM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

All Subarus are made in Luton, shipped to Japan and then distributed throughout the world. That's why they're mostly right-hand drive you see.
Old 21 May 2002, 09:10 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Thats what I heard but I didn't think anyone would believe me.....Blutes
Old 21 May 2002, 09:17 PM
Scott WT
Scooby Regular

No! They're manufactured on Mars, converted to front wheel drive(r) on Venus and shippped by Vogons via Depthyfghvlula II to Earth before being delivered to dealers who add the white 'powdery polish residue' and 'enginestickystuff (TM)' for authenticity....
Old 21 May 2002, 09:23 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Don't be rediculous This is a serious thread [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]......Blutes
Old 21 May 2002, 10:17 PM
Steve Breen
Scooby Regular

The STi, and other Imprezas/Foresters are manufactured at the Fuji Heavy Industries Yajima Factory in Ota City Japan.

Subarus are also produced in China, Taiwan and the USA. The Justy is produced in Hungary by Suzuki.

The Luton link may have come via dealers who also have Isuzus on their forecourt alongside their Subarus, both being dealt with in this country by International Motors. The IBC plant in Luton (adjacent to the defunct Vauxhall plant) used to (might still) produce Isuzu Troopers and Vauxhall Fronteras but is now concentrating upon Renault vans.

Steve
Old 22 May 2002, 12:21 AM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Does Subaru make cars in China? I thought their only real overseas factory is in USA & it's a JV with Isuzu. The facility in Taiwan only assemble CKD kits shipped from Japan & it is operated by their Taiwan distributor.
Other than Japan & USA, I don't think there any other places where they really make Subarus.
I did not include the Justy as it's an Europe only anomoly & the Justy is an OEM car made by Suzuki, likewise I exclude the Thai-made Traviq as it's an OEM made by GM.
Come to think about it, GM owns a stake in Suzuki way b4 they had a stake in Subaru, so Subaru was already selling GM cars in the form of the Justy way b4 both companies got together.
The IBC Luton plant makes the Frontera (which is a rebadged Isuzu MU) and the Vauxhall Pickup (which again is a rebadged Isuzu). Both Vauxhall & Isuzu are owned by GM, & AFAIK, the Trooper (both in Vauxhall & Isuzu badges) are made in Japan.
Another interesting point is both brands that IM distributes are part owned by GM, & there may be a chance in future that GM will take over & handle distributions themselves.

[Edited by clarence - 5/22/2002 12:27:01 AM]
Old 22 May 2002, 05:22 AM
Brian Swan
Scooby Regular

As far as i know Subaru are not in China yet. There are Justy style cars in China but they are made solely by the Chinese from old tooling. This is why the original VW Sanata and Jetta are still such hits with the taxi drivers - litterally. There may be a link through GM who have big plants around Shanghai but it would be tenuous to say the least.

Mitsubishi, Honda and Nissan have plants or JV's in China but even Toyota do not so it would be unlikly that Subaru do.
Old 22 May 2002, 11:51 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Are u sure they're Justys (I should call them Swift instead)? I know they make the old Daihatsu Charade in Tianjin, China & they're branded as Tianjin. They are mainly used as taxis.
Old 23 May 2002, 07:45 AM
Brian Swan
Scooby Regular

I said they were Justy style.

After posting i remembered that they were probably being put together by Suzuki or a JV along that line but couldn't remember their names.

I must admit, i've been in better taxis.
Old 23 May 2002, 09:39 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Better taxis? U mean a Crown Comfort or a Cedric?