Sponsored by:

MPG Test - Nitro vs Momentum

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2013, 05:24 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MPG Test - Nitro vs Momentum

my last tank before the long distance test was nitro and i got 23mpg (330bhp and it included a RR power run and a RR mapping session)

So, I've just done long distance back to back comparison with Nitro and Tesco 99. steady driving, sat at 80mph (speedo reading) most of the way, 350 miles each way

I drove from Sheffield to Newquay using Tesco momentum (filled up with Tesco, but topped up with £8 Nitro and reset trip just before motorway so i knew it was a full tank), When i got to Newquay i had just under 1/4 tank left. I filled up with Nitro and had averaged over 33mpg. I filled up again just before the journey home (27mpg running about for days out). When I got home the needle was reading just on the empty mark, so I knew I'd used more fuel over the same distance. I have just filled up with Tesco 99 and I had only managed 29.5mpg with Nitro

so, over 350 miles each way, steady driving both ways, momentum has returned 10% better mpg

Nitro = 29.5 mpg
Momentum = 33 mpg
Old 15 July 2013, 06:07 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the risk of going over old ground, my experience supports an approx 10% better mpg with Momentum.

I've filled up 8 times since I've had the car (360bhp).
The first 5 were Nitro+ and it was returning 20-23, the higher where I did some motorway hops of about 80 miles each way.

I changed to Momentum and my usual 100 mile/wk's worth of 8-10 miles and pottering around the area returned towards the higher end, 22-ish.

I then had the car remapped to 373 (note - the mapper said it was initially 348, not the 360 on the dyno I had with the FSH) and with the same type of journeys, and including the mapping runs, it returned 23.

I'm now waiting to see what this latest tank gets with 'standard' journeys and use.

In fairness, there's so much torque (389lb) that the car does most of its urban area work in 3rd, 4th and even 5th (40mph), so that could have an effect.
Old 15 July 2013, 06:14 PM
nyscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hows a tank of mixed fuels going to prove anything scientifically....?

Do 5 tanks of one, then 5 tanks of the other...... then you have an average.

Any in all fairness anyone on her who cares about economy should sell us today! you obviously have bought the wrong car.
Old 15 July 2013, 06:20 PM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

My mapper told me to fill up and only run on nitro before mapping mine, because the momentum stuff fluctuate in quality. He said I should always fill up with Nitro after the map.
If I had known I would get more mpg, I think I would have asked him to map on momentum, surely it wouldn't affect power very much?
Maybe the mapper would have to limit the power, to be safe and to accommodate fluctuations in the fuel? But, surely it wouldn't be much of a drop in power?

Interesting subject!
Old 15 July 2013, 06:25 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I wouldn't use supermarket fuel even if it returned 40mpg.

Just my own personal preference.
Old 15 July 2013, 06:34 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nyscooby
Hows a tank of mixed fuels going to prove anything scientifically....?

Do 5 tanks of one, then 5 tanks of the other...... then you have an average.

Any in all fairness anyone on her who cares about economy should sell us today! you obviously have bought the wrong car.
Interesting.
I've got a bit of spare time so perhaps I'll start blending fuels.

You are right there of course. I think I had about 3 litres of nitro left when I first filled up with Momentum. Obviously there's a negligible trace of nitro now.

For me, it's not the economy but if the car is clearly more 'fuel efficient' then I'm assuming that there's more efficient combustion and hence less stresses and strains that will ultimately mean remedial work.
Old 15 July 2013, 06:39 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reshard1977
My mapper told me to fill up and only run on nitro before mapping mine, because the momentum stuff fluctuate in quality. He said I should always fill up with Nitro after the map.
If I had known I would get more mpg, I think I would have asked him to map on momentum, surely it wouldn't affect power very much?
Maybe the mapper would have to limit the power, to be safe and to accommodate fluctuations in the fuel? But, surely it wouldn't be much of a drop in power?

Interesting subject!
Good point, I've heard horror stories about Tesco petrol.

I carry an bottle of NF Racing Formula, just in case I get stuck.
Although it claims a 6 Octane boost but only managed 2, an independent study by some online motoring publication did rate it the best.
And that 2 (5-10ml per litre) is enough if I have to put - or somehow get - 97.
Old 15 July 2013, 06:43 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally if I ever have another car mapped it will be on the crapest fuel I can find something like sainsburys 95 ron, that way it won't matter what I put in it anywhere I go.

Last time I had two maps done, one for Vpower and one for shell 95 the difference was 17bhp, which for the hassle of finding Vpower when traveling across Europe is a loss I can cope with, as far as i'm concerned it's more hassle than it's worth.
Old 15 July 2013, 06:46 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
I wouldn't use supermarket fuel even if it returned 40mpg.

Just my own personal preference.
I was really surprised that it was suggested on here.
I'm also a bit anti big boy supermarkets.

However, the reality is that my nearest Shell is 5 miles away (not a problem) but is only a 06:00 - 23:00 station.
In an emergency I'd be knackered.

I've a local Tesco (06:00 - 22:00) but 8 miles away there's a 24/7 Tesco.

PS - if the car played up and I suspected dodgy fuel I'd have samples before you could say "every little helps".
Old 15 July 2013, 07:09 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boozydave
so, over 350 miles each way, steady driving both ways, momentum has returned 10% better mpg

Nitro = 29.5 mpg
Momentum = 33 mpg
You're gonna get error because fuel consumption depends upon variables such as air temp, wind speed and direction, that you didn't control for, plus any unconscious bias in the way you drive. Plus also you probably descended 100-200 meters in total going to Newquay, whilst the reverse was going back up hill.
Old 15 July 2013, 07:11 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap
Good point, I've heard horror stories about Tesco petrol.

I carry an bottle of NF Racing Formula, just in case I get stuck.
Although it claims a 6 Octane boost but only managed 2, an independent study by some online motoring publication did rate it the best.
And that 2 (5-10ml per litre) is enough if I have to put - or somehow get - 97.
I'd rather pour dirty ditch water in my tank.

Lower RON stuff is fine if you stay off boost assuming you are mapped for the good stuff.
Old 15 July 2013, 07:28 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
I'd rather pour dirty ditch water in my tank.

Lower RON stuff is fine if you stay off boost assuming you are mapped for the good stuff.
I'd have gone for Toluene but the H & S requirements were a nightmare.
My garden shed would have to be modded more than the car.

Tbh I don't think I could (bring myself to) put anything other than 99 in.
I'd rather have the petrol delivered.
Old 15 July 2013, 07:37 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap
I'd have gone for Toluene but the H & S requirements were a nightmare.
My garden shed would have to be modded more than the car.

Tbh I don't think I could (bring myself to) put anything other than 99 in.
I'd rather have the petrol delivered.
It won't do any harm. You only need the RON for knock protection if you are mapped for the higher RON, and knock is only a danger (practically) when you are at full boost.

I don't really trust additives to raise the RON enough anyway.
Old 15 July 2013, 08:14 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm getting worse MPG using Momentum, that I was with Vpower.

I do have a fuel leak though that I haven't traced yet though.
Old 15 July 2013, 08:56 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

i just posted the results up for others to see. i'm not bothered about mpg, it's my weekend toy. i'm just suprised there is such a difference, if they had been very similar i wouldn't have posted

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Personally if I ever have another car mapped it will be on the crapest fuel I can find something like sainsburys 95 ron, that way it won't matter what I put in it anywhere I go.

Last time I had two maps done, one for Vpower and one for shell 95 the difference was 17bhp, which for the hassle of finding Vpower when traveling across Europe is a loss I can cope with, as far as i'm concerned it's more hassle than it's worth.
my last car was mapped on 95 ron (same mods) and i got 320bhp. this one was mapped for 95 ron too, but there was an issue with detting when on the clinic rollers, GP performance found the issue (fuel pressure pipe kinked by different company) when it was being checked and had it tweeked to 99ron (cheers dunc )
Old 16 July 2013, 01:18 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
I'm getting worse MPG using Momentum, that I was with Vpower.

I do have a fuel leak though that I haven't traced yet though.
Old 16 July 2013, 07:48 AM
oliVeR6
Scooby Regular

I've also found that I return better economy on Momentum 99 than Nitro+. I've used both (was obviously Optimax then V-Power back then) for 6.5yrs in my VR6 and then again in the STI and I've NEVER had a problem with Tesco 99.
In fact I'd rather travel the 2 miles out of town to use Momentum instead of Nitro+
Old 16 July 2013, 08:04 AM
kershaw-330s
Scooby Regular

this is good stuff i rember a couple of years ago thorney motorsport did a test like this with astra vxrs and the results were the other way around and tesco 99 was realy under performing compaired to v.power at the time it was so much so that tms stop their sponsership with tesco 99
Old 16 July 2013, 08:46 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had a car run a bit funny on a tank of Shell 99 a couple of times over the years.

I suspected that the pumps were running 95 by mistake.

Never had a problem with Tesco 99. Anecdotally I seem to have achieved a couple of mpg better out of it.

Run my Cosworth on either as available though I don't have a Tesco anywhere near me so it's usually the expensive Shell stuff.

Don't really drive that car for mpg
Old 16 July 2013, 08:55 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

two jurneys isnt enough to be a conclusion, you may find that from point A to point B it drops 100 feet and that avergare drop is what the difference is.

Thats said Sheffield is listed as 29m above sea level, so you got better mpg going average down hill, which is no surprise at all.

o and also only 33? i got 34mpg going down to bristol last sunday lol

Also £8 is what 6L, so your on a 44/6 L momentum nitro mix lol
Old 16 July 2013, 09:05 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

At the opposite end of fuel consumption, due to Shell stations drying up heavily around here between 2007-2012 I moved all the cars over to Momentum 99.

I am not one for fuel economy whatsoever, I plant my right foot on all my cars as soon as they are warmed up and whenever possible. I have not had one single mechanical issue with any of the engines, no performance issues, no fuel-related issues and I have run many, many, many tanks of that stuff through them

Don't ask what my avg mpg is on the 6...
Old 16 July 2013, 08:31 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
two jurneys isnt enough to be a conclusion, you may find that from point A to point B it drops 100 feet and that avergare drop is what the difference is.

Thats said Sheffield is listed as 29m above sea level, so you got better mpg going average down hill, which is no surprise at all.

o and also only 33? i got 34mpg going down to bristol last sunday lol

Also £8 is what 6L, so your on a 44/6 L momentum nitro mix lol
last year i went to brighton in my old car, using 95 ron and got 36mpg on the way down and 35mpg on the way home. so i don't think it's that 'uphill', it's not like i live at the top of everest or something, freewheel down and cain it going back up

29m downhill over 350 miles

my tank holds 58 litres (from dry to brimmed), so 5.5l of nitro to 52.5l tesco, so just over 10% mix.
Old 16 July 2013, 08:40 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boozydave
last year i went to brighton in my old car, using 95 ron and got 36mpg on the way down and 35mpg on the way home. so i don't think it's that 'uphill', it's not like i live at the top of everest or something, freewheel down and cain it going back up

29m downhill over 350 miles

my tank holds 58 litres (from dry to brimmed), so 5.5l of nitro to 52.5l tesco, so just over 10% mix.
You might live at more than 29 m. Some parts around Sheffield are 100 m to 200 m.
Old 16 July 2013, 08:55 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

but even then, it's not gonna make 4 mpg difference

just had a look and found out - our hotel was 70m and my house is 50m above sea level. so i was actually going uphill the way there

so nitro is even worse then
Old 16 July 2013, 09:40 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the fuel is of higher octane, surely the car can run more boost and will give more power. ie more petrol and air. I thought that was the whole idea of it.
If this is the case, then I would expect the fuel economy to be worse with a higher octane petrol - no?
Old 16 July 2013, 09:46 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

both are 99ron, car was mapped on nitro, i used tesco 99ron momentum on the way and nitro 99ron on the way home
Old 17 July 2013, 12:10 AM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Think I can agree with this, I seem to do better on momentum, I'm sure that Nitro has screwed me up some how, ran 2 tanks recently and I'm not sure if its the extra warm temperatures but my car is now back firing like a biatch !

Made me jump earlier on sounded like I fired a dam shotgun
Old 28 July 2013, 03:39 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Quick revival of the thread, just to round things off as much as I can.

As said, I reckon I'm getting 10-15% more mpg on Momentum, especially now that the car's been remapped.

Figures around 23-24mpg on short hops around the Valleys, occasional overtaking bursts.

Went to Salisbury for the weekend and filled up with nearly 47 litres of V-Power Nitro before I went ie 94% nitro/6% Momentum mix.

Filled up (with nitro+) this morning before we came back and the car had done nearly 24mpg - and that's on very eco-friendly toddles at 70mph on the M4, 40-50 on the open roads in traffic and a few traffic snarl ups.

Ie. nitro's giving me the same on fuel-economical runs that Momentum's giving me on more thirsty ones.
Once this last tank of nitro+ is gone I'll post the last finding. It will have had truly mixed motoring. (Not quite half a tank gone on the run back).
Old 29 July 2013, 09:51 AM
Bezza
Scooby Regular

i run the fuel log app, not so much because i care about the mpg, just because im interested in the changes between drives ect, or any drastic changes that could indicate a problem. its also usuful for recording all other costs and keeping a track of things.

ive filled up 6 times since i bought the car (02 of July lol) with the best being 23.07MPG and the worst 18.33 - all with Tesco 99, the cars a 2003 sti PPP but apart from that standard.

now ive read this post gonna give it a few more weeks of getting used to the newly found power (came from a 190 celica) then do a five of each comparison Tesco vs Shell.

also looking forward to do a best and worst at some point. drive hard as you can for 1 tank then nice as you can for the next.
managed 39 to 19 in the celica lol :P but that used to drink it in lift.

Last edited by Bezza; 29 July 2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 29 July 2013, 10:09 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

thanks for the update and glad someone else i experiencing the same as me with nitro

my best and worst are - 36mpg and 12mpg

Quick Reply: MPG Test - Nitro vs Momentum