Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end noise, know its been covered alot but cant quite find what im after.

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2013, 10:27 AM
Bezza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end noise, know its been covered alot but cant quite find what im after.

Hi Guys and Girls,

Ive recently bought a 2003 WRX STI Blob eye and have noticed a wierd noise coming from the back, this only happens at slow speeds and as far as i can tell is not effected by bumps / potholes ect..

It happens when parking, reversing, pulling away from junctions and the only way i can describe it is like im dryiving on snow and its crunching beneath the rear wheels, somtimes but rarely (or maby in my imagination) you can feel the car jolt but most of the time its just the sound.

cant seem to see any play in any of the suspension, bushes and rear anti role bar all seem ok, im stuffed as to what it could be,

is this kind of noise whats mentioned in other threads or is this somthing different.

any help or potentially fix ideas????

its driving me barmy.

cheers Ross
Old 04 July 2013, 10:43 AM
Turbo Tone
Scooby Regular

Basically the grease on the inside of the shocks dries out. The symptoms are exactly the same as the ones I had.

Does it get worse if there are people in the back or heavy objects in the boot?

Best option is to replace. Matty at Pole Position is breaking a Blob STI which has rear replacement KYB struts on.

Thread here
https://www.scoobynet.com/full-cars-...-breaking.html

Give him a call as they are a top bunch of lads and will sort you out.
Old 04 July 2013, 11:04 AM
RossForest
Scooby Regular

Exactly that, just had exactly the same problem with my rear STI shocks. Apparently a very common factory defect. Aside from the annoying snow crunching sound at a crawl (great description!), when breaking at high speeds my OS rear shock tends to stick and suddenly rebound, I've had a few hairy moments so I'd suggest getting those replaced as soon as you can if you do any spirited driving
Old 04 July 2013, 11:09 AM
Bezza
Scooby Regular

cheers guys is this a total fix, read through the hole thread on UK STI rear shocks was written back 2002/03 and garages were trying everything without sorting it. thread then gets hyjacked with some sort of firus and starts going on about free **** lol. thanks again tho guys, will look into it.
Old 04 July 2013, 11:21 AM
Turbo Tone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossberry
cheers guys is this a total fix, read through the hole thread on UK STI rear shocks was written back 2002/03 and garages were trying everything without sorting it. thread then gets hyjacked with some sort of firus and starts going on about free **** lol. thanks again tho guys, will look into it.
Yes it will solve the problem.

The problem was that Subaru took at age to change the design so they were replacing shocks with new shocks which in turn developed the same problem.
Old 06 July 2013, 12:31 AM
Bezza
Scooby Regular

just wanted to say thanks for all the help with this, did the quick fix to confirm, and noise 95% gone, now its just finding the time to take the struts off and re grease. anyone know of any detailed how to guides for this.
cheers