Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Sti Type RA V3 Opinions & Buying Advice Request.

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2013, 07:01 AM
MRSIMPSON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sti Type RA V3 Opinions & Buying Advice Request.

Hi I'm looking at buying an Sti Type RA v3, never been in one, just wondered what any owners/previous owners could give me as advice before I go to potentially buy one next week.

Old 15 June 2013, 08:00 AM
big_joe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gearboxes are a hell of a lot shorter ratio'd than your average scoob......so not ideal of you're planning on doing a lot of motorway miles. They need mapping for UK fuel, if it's running the standard map it's really just a matter of time before the bottom end goes (especially if modified)..................I found this out the hard way! They have DCCD so make sure you have a play with that and that it's operating properly. Nothing else really type RA specific, just do the usual checks, transmission noises/suspension knocks/rear arch rust/smokey exhaust at idle and under boost etc. Great cars!
Old 15 June 2013, 08:27 AM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MRSIMPSON
Hi I'm looking at buying an Sti Type RA v3, never been in one, just wondered what any owners/previous owners could give me as advice before I go to potentially buy one next week.

I can't give you much running advice as I've not used mine other than drive it home and take it apart but rust would be my first check point.

Hand inside the rear arches run around the inner lip the see what's going on.
Check jacking points these are often misused with a trolly jack and folded over so another rust point.
Have a good look inside the wheel arches these cars came with no underseal, if the one your checking has underseal have a good look at that as well.
The other areas are around the arial and both front and rear windows where the water drain channels are.... When I checked mine over these are the area to really look closely at, take a torch with you as well to get right under the car.

Here's a good link as well for the RA forum.

http://www.type-ra.com/subaru-forum/...-buyers-guide/

One thing to add is when I viewed mine I took a friend with me as two pairs of subaru eyes are better than one but just remember these cars are 18 years old now so you will see age related wear and rust etc nothing to be frightened about at all as these early shells are very strong from what I can see of mine.

Last edited by Silver Scooby Sport; 15 June 2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 15 June 2013, 08:28 AM
poopipe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very short. 70mph is nearly 4k rpm and you'll do most of your town driving in 3rd/4th

its worth knowing that replacement roof vent handles are impossible to get hold of in the UK and you'll be looking at close to 100quid to have one shipped over from Japan. not a reason to reject a car but at least you won't be as surprised as i was...
Old 16 June 2013, 01:59 PM
MRSIMPSON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you guys