Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scoob#4, modded Blobeye. Various questions!

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2013, 10:40 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scoob#4, modded Blobeye. Various questions!

Hi guys.

After madam rearranged the front of what was left of Fluffy last weekend on the way to Subaru4you, I went out and bought this from Matt:

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...3-jdm-sti.html

In case the specs get removed at some point:

2003 JDM STI - 56700 miles
2.0 engine with AVCS Heads
6 Speed DCCD Gearbox
SC46 Billet Twinscroll Turbo
750cc Denso Injectors
Japspeed FMIC
Custom hard inlet pipe with K&N Filter
3 port catch can mounted in inner wing
3 port boost solenloid
3 bar map sensor
Zero Sports Cooling Panel
Tein Bonnet Lifters
PIAA Sport horns
New Battery fitted last month
Blitz Nur Spec R 3” system decatted with bung
Hayward and Scott 3 inch Twinscroll Down pipe
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
Standard Twinscroll Headers and Up pipe
Carbon Fibre alternator cover
Polished Battery and Fusebox cover
Simtek ECU with Launch Control and Anti Lag enabled; mappedby JGM to 456.6bhp at 1.65 bar.
Cobra Cat 1 Alarm
STI Radiator Cap
Carbon front strut brace
Rear Strut Brace
Whiteline Rear 24mm adjustable Anti Roll Bar
Whiteline Rear Camber Bolts
BC Coilovers
Zero Sports front 23mm Front Anti Roll Bar
Gold Rota Grid Drift 18x9.5s with Falken 452 Tyres
Arches Rolled by Arch enemy to fit the wheels and make cardriveable with no rubbing issues.
Alignment set up by Zak at Mocom Racing.
CGS Motorsport 6 speed cerametallic Paddle clutch.
AP Racing red 6 pot front brake callipers CP7040 with APPads and 355mm AP Discs.
Gold Brembo 2 pot rear brakes
AP Racing Brake fluid
HEL Braided lines
Defi Boost, Oil Temp and Oil Pressure Gauges in ATI Centrepod
WR1 Gear ****
Kenwood Head unit
Alpine front and rear speakers
Benen Front and rear towhooks
Scoobynet Tax Disc Holder
Cambelt was done at 45k
Gearbox 4th gear synchro also done at 45k
New Clutch at 45k
New Neutral Position switch at 51k miles
Car was on 54k miles when it had the major power upgrade parts fitted

I will go and do a heavy search on all the points below too as soon as I get a chance later today but in the mean time....

Ok, I have various questions, based on 5 years being away from the Scooby scene and possibly being heavily spoiled driving the RS6 around but if you guys could do your best to answer any of these questions that would be great thanks!

1. Power/delivery. The car was mapped to 456hp/380ftlbs torque but I am finding that the delivery of the power seems to take an eternity in the higher gears and I am sorely missing the lack of torque. I realise that it is unfair to compare the 2 but with the smaller turbos on the 5 and great mapping, bags of power/torque are available from 2krpm onwards so this is quite a shock! I am guessing that due to being on the 2l lump, I am pretty well shagged when it comes to upping the torque on the current spec?

2.Suspension. The BC Coilovers are running very low and I have never played with these particular ones before so as for the damping settings, no clue. I already clonked her on a speed hump yesterday testing if she was too low or not and I will have to raise her by around an inch. Can these coilovers be dialled in to be much more forgiving or am I going to be better off going back to the likes of adjustable normal shocks and the likes of Eibach springs? The ride has got to be softened a bit as I need to make her as daily drive/madam friendly as possible within reason, I won't complain either tbh. Currently she refuses to even try driving her.

3. Wheels. The rims sticking out thing with the tyres stretched doesn't do it for me and is also illegal afaik. Also, madam will trash them parking on the first day which would be a waste so I will be selling those and getting a set of 18" RD21 anthracite rims and the widest tyres that will be a comfortable fit within the arches. Any tips on what the max tyre width is that I can fit under the blob arches without clearance/full lock issues.

4. CGS Motorsport 6 speed cerametallic Paddle clutch. This can't stay in the car unless I have absolutely no other choice. I can manage it just fine 90% of the time but I am not perfect with it and madam just won't try it based on how I am finding it. I don't think it is running a lightweight flywheel which is good, but what decent clutch alternatives do I have if any, that can handle this power/up to 500 and be as friendly as possible?

5. Exhaust. My second scoob had a full 3" decat and a Nur Spec R exhaust and that was loud but roger my bottom, this thing is beyond loud on the Blobeye and has to go. After driving her for 2 hours yesterday I had a headache and ringing ears. I am after a full 3" system that will not reduce the flow/power compared to the Nur but must be heaps quieter. I still want a sporty noise but nothing like it is now. Any suggestions?

6. Aerial. Where is it, is it in the rear windscreen at the top? I haven't taken the current head unit out (will later) but it has no reception whatsoever currently.

7. Do I have any driving light options for the two cover plates on the front bumper? Just curious as I have come from big *** PIAA driving lights on the STI5 to what looks like a slightly boring frontend .

I think that is just about if for now, help/flame away .

Cheers,

Nick.

Last edited by Mr Footlong; 07 August 2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Typoooo
Old 09 June 2013, 10:57 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice car, I love the wheels and think they look fantastic, with regards power have a look on Shaun's thread in the project section, but make sure you have a few beers in the fridge and plenty of snacks handy because it's like reading War and Peace, that beauty should tell you just about everything you need to know about JDM newage.

As for the MRS not driving it as is, why would you have a problem with that considering her recent performance, i'd be spending the wheel and tyre money on a micra.
Old 09 June 2013, 11:13 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Just to clarify, she trashed what was left of Fluffy by towing me 40 miles to Newbury on a towing rod but got totally confused by the last 2 roundabouts by Subaru4you, didn't look at the Tomtom properly and planted the brakes a touch at the last minute, bending the towing rod in half and ramming me up her bottom.

Other than that, she doesn't drive like normal women, she hoons along most of the time like me and deserves to be able to drive this as well as the other cars as she isn't a crash monkey
Old 09 June 2013, 11:15 AM
lofty35
Scooby Regular

price on drifts mate ?
Old 09 June 2013, 11:22 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

No idea yet I am afraid and Chronic1 has first refusal currently. I don't want to to mess around with taking the tyres off so will be planning on selling as a set really. Will keep you in mind if I don't do a deal with Chronic1
Old 09 June 2013, 01:06 PM
lofty35
Scooby Regular

Ok mate cheers
Old 09 June 2013, 03:56 PM
cronic1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Footlong
No idea yet I am afraid and Chronic1 has first refusal currently. I don't want to to mess around with taking the tyres off so will be planning on selling as a set really. Will keep you in mind if I don't do a deal with Chronic1
pm,d and emailed mate
Old 09 June 2013, 05:28 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Just been out for the afternoon in the car again and she really isn't that fast, I actually bet the farm on it that either the S3 or the Cupra could take her without breaking a massive sweat and that doesn't make sense when you factor in the power that she is supposed to be running.......

The clutch has to die, it is either on or off and my best friend just tried it and he totally despised it too. Any advice would be appreciated thanks chaps.

Last edited by Mr Footlong; 09 June 2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09 June 2013, 06:15 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Just been out for the afternoon in the car again and she really isn't that fast, I actually bet the farm on it that either the S3 or the Cupra could take her without breaking a massive sweat and that doesn't make sense when you factor in the power that she is supposed to be running.......

The clutch has to die, it is either on or off and my best friend just tried it and he totally despised it too. Any advice would be appreciated thanks chaps.
Something is amiss. With the power you're running the car should feel ballistic. I've got a JDM STI with a SC42 turbo and around 400bhp and the car drives great. Power comes in nice and low (even though I'm on a FMIC) and holds till the red line. I have had it remapped recently as I was on a meth map and didn't want the hassle of meth any more. I've gone for a mafless set up and the driveability has improved even more. I would get the car checked asap, infact it may be prudent to have a word with Scoobyclinic as I'm sure they'll be able to advise.
Clutch wise I'm on a Scoobyclinic supplied ACT clutch and it's spot on. It's rated to 500bhp/torque iirc and is pretty much oe in feel.
Old 09 June 2013, 11:02 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that, I may just be too used to well mapped punchy small turbos these days but the speedo doesn't lie.

The car will be going in to Subaru4you to be picked apart if necessary and fully checked over. If there is a problem they will sort it. If no provlem is found then I guess some money will be getting thrown at her.

Just to confirm, is the ACT one organic, paddle etc and are you running a normal weight flywheel? Thanks.
Old 10 June 2013, 08:11 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

+1 on the something's wrong, @ 456bhp twin scroll billet turbo should be a flying machine, get it looked at asap.
Old 10 June 2013, 08:13 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Just to clarify, she trashed what was left of Fluffy by towing me 40 miles to Newbury on a towing rod but got totally confused by the last 2 roundabouts by Subaru4you, didn't look at the Tomtom properly and planted the brakes a touch at the last minute, bending the towing rod in half and ramming me up her bottom.

Other than that, she doesn't drive like normal women, she hoons along most of the time like me and deserves to be able to drive this as well as the other cars as she isn't a crash monkey
Sounds to me like she's looking over your shoulder.
Old 10 June 2013, 08:23 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I've got a full milltek 3" on mine I'm looking to swap out for something with a bit more of a bark if interested in a deal? Full exhaust turbo back, it has a resonated down pipe an a resonated centre section, slight (and I mean slight) scrape to the underside of the centre section but nothing major, if interested let me know, but it would have to be a complete swap for everything as I beleive milltek have their own sizes on pipe runs

And I'm running a lm450 @453hp and by no means is it slow or runs out of puff it pulls around the v10 M5 gracefully and we all know they ain't slow full boost @1.8bar by 3200ish rpm it really does just get up and go

Last edited by Infected by sti; 10 June 2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10 June 2013, 09:51 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Thanks for that, I may just be too used to well mapped punchy small turbos these days but the speedo doesn't lie.

The car will be going in to Subaru4you to be picked apart if necessary and fully checked over. If there is a problem they will sort it. If no provlem is found then I guess some money will be getting thrown at her.

Just to confirm, is the ACT one organic, paddle etc and are you running a normal weight flywheel? Thanks.
It's an organic one as far as I can remember and running in conjunction with the standard flywheel.
Old 10 June 2013, 12:08 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

I have attached a scan of the dyno graphs and you can see the rather relaxed power delivery.

Einstein, that is music to my ears sir!

Ditchmyster, seriously, she is a little bit of a nutter behind the wheel and I reward that by giving her fun cars to drive . She is very fussy about car setup bit if everything feels "right", off she goes!

Infected, I will need to have a hunt for info about the Milltek system but the 3 VAGmobiles here all run Milltek so it is tempting . I don't spose you have a set of callipers to you could measure the avg pipe diameter (just curious) and your setup is twin scroll yes? What is the sound like and have you been a passenger in one of these with a Nur Spec R running a similar setup? It is beyond loud both outside and inside the cabin, not a nice place to be at all for long trips. The bung helps but resonates when cold at least, didn't leave it in as it annoyed me.

Honest to god, the 6 absolutely battered her and that was with madam driving and not using 100% throttle as she never quite does. The 6 is a torque monster though and pulls like a train but hey.

Answers to any of the other questions while we are at it chaps? I still haven't had a chance to sit here and go searching, apologies.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dyno.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	12386  
Old 10 June 2013, 01:00 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE="Mr Footlong;11115810"]I have attached a scan of the dyno graphs and you can see the rather relaxed power delivery.

Einstein, that is music to my ears sir!

Ditchmyster, seriously, she is a little bit of a nutter behind the wheel and I reward that by giving her fun cars to drive . She is very fussy about car setup bit if everything feels "right", off she goes!

Infected, I will need to have a hunt for info about the Milltek system but the 3 VAGmobiles here all run Milltek so it is tempting . I don't spose you have a set of callipers to you could measure the avg pipe diameter (just curious) and your setup is twin scroll yes? What is the sound like and have you been a passenger in one of these with a Nur Spec R running a similar setup? It is beyond loud both outside and inside the cabin, not a nice place to be at all for long trips. The bung helps but resonates when cold at least, didn't leave it in as it annoyed me.

H.
/QUOTE]
The milltek systems are highly regarded here, its just not my cup of tea tbh, its not loud at all driving normal but stick your toe down and it howls like a super bike, I like it but coming from a uk blob with the almighty burble and a rather loud exhaust this seems really mild tbh.

Its a 3" system straight through and yea Its a twinscroll, have a nose about at people opinions and have a think, judging by what you want from an exhaust I would say this would suit you to the ground.
Old 10 June 2013, 01:31 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Is that your only graph? would be good to see a boost chart also.
Old 10 June 2013, 01:37 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Einstein had a milltek on his car, best all round exhaust for JDM in my opinion. Nice and quiet on cruise and pottering about but sounds superb when going for it especially after 6k rpm

The graph does look a little laggy and I think the car would benefit from a once over from Bob (sure I read you have used previously for mapping)

BCs can be adjusted and should have a hard/soft adjustment on the suspention turret

Driven Einstein's car regularly and its spot on for daily use, plenty of traffic on the way to work which is always the acid test for a clutch and its easier to drive than my twin plate by a mile

Driving lights I guess its a personal thing but on the new ages i think they spoil the flow of the front end

Wheels pretty sure the ideal size is 8" with a tyre size of 235

Last edited by banny sti; 10 June 2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10 June 2013, 02:04 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Awesome replies, thanks guys!

Infected, have had a nosey around and it is sounding promising. I will spam JGM and double check that he will be 100% happy with me doing that swap as he will no doubt be going down to S4U to do some tweaking on the Simtek. I will let you know as soon as I can and thanks for the offer .

Regarding the suspension, yep, I twiddled the dials yesterday but on in so far that I made sure that they were all on matching notches, as in rear left and right matched, front left/right matched. Didn't change the actual current values on them.

As for additional graphs, they are attached. While I could use Bob and as you say, I have in the past, I am perfectly with JGM to continue his handywork on this girl, just need that power delivery sorted. Whether the Defi reading is correct or not, she is reading 1.8 BAR whenever I boot it.

Thanks again guys.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dyno2.jpg
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	12387   Click image for larger version

Name:	dyno3.jpg
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	12388  

Last edited by Mr Footlong; 10 June 2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10 June 2013, 05:19 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

How do they look? Just took her out quickly to go over to help a friend try to tow a Jeep Cherokee (not with my car). wasn't overly happy trying to reverse her out of the drive, revs kept dipping more than I would expect then was taking a while to feel like she was firing properly and come back up to normal idle, ah well.

I filled her up with Tesco99 yesterday as I have all the other car mapped on that and Shell is a pain to get to compared to Tesco. My other scoobs were always mapped to tolerate both V-Power and Tesco 99 perfectly happily so I can't imagine it is that making her seem even more unhappy?
Old 10 June 2013, 07:30 PM
cronic1
Scooby Regular

How do they look? Just took her out quickly to go over to help a friend try to tow a Jeep Cherokee (not with my car). wasn't overly happy trying to reverse her out of the drive, revs kept dipping more than I would expect then was taking a while to feel like she was firing properly and come back up to normal idle, ah well.

I filled her up with Tesco99 yesterday as I have all the other car mapped on that and Shell is a pain to get to compared to Tesco. My other scoobs were always mapped to tolerate both V-Power and Tesco 99 perfectly happily so I can't imagine it is that making her seem even more unhappy?
pm,d mate
Old 10 June 2013, 10:34 PM
romford-boy
Scooby Regular

Honest to god, the 6 absolutely battered her and that was with madam driving and not using 100% throttle as she never quite does. The 6 is a torque monster though and pulls like a train but hey.
Give it some revs man! The 6 and the STI should both in roughly 300 bhp per tonne, but of course if you are off boost that it's not a contest, you'll have to stoke the box if you want to beat cubic inches.

wasn't overly happy trying to reverse her out of the drive, revs kept dipping more than I would expect then was taking a while to feel like she was firing properly and come back up to normal idle, ah well.
Maybe something is up with the mapping that should be looked at? But I know the revs dip like mad on mine if I don't apply any throttle, whereas my mates bog standard Focus ST will pull up even steep inclines on the clutch like a diesel truck.
Old 11 June 2013, 08:39 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Somethings a miss. The car was balistic last time I saw it
Old 11 June 2013, 09:27 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by romford-boy
Give it some revs man! The 6 and the STI should both in roughly 300 bhp per tonne, but of course if you are off boost that it's not a contest, you'll have to stoke the box if you want to beat cubic inches.
Trust me, I haven't forgotten how to use a STI lump properly.

You BHP boys always seem to ignore the importance of torque . Sod BHP, it is how quickly you get to terminal velocity that is important to me and you can't ignore the importance of torque for that, my simple head says at least lol.

There is a recent blobeye SC42 dyno chart on JGM's facebook page and you can see how vastly different the deliveries are but not to worry, the car will be getting sorted out between S4U and JGM at the end of the month. Just won't drive her much/at all between now and then to save my sanity!

Infected, haven't forgotten your kind offer regarding the exhaust, hold tight .

Cronic1, haven't got time to spend getting the new wheels sorted right now (as in today) as I have a nasty feeling that the RD21 wheels that I want, are only available in 7.5x18 ET45 and they may well not clear the CP7040 calipers . You are still first on the list but I haven't looked at a price yet, no clue on that but it won't be rip off money for the wheels/tyres.

Last edited by Mr Footlong; 11 June 2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11 June 2013, 10:17 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

No worries bud, I'm sure we can sort something out the exhaust is off my car already but I will be honest I tried to remove the lambada yesterday and she was pretty solid in the downpipe, I didnt want to give it to much abuse to get it out so I will be taking it to my workshop to heat it with the oxy, just want to be honest fella
Old 11 June 2013, 11:46 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
No worries bud, I'm sure we can sort something out the exhaust is off my car already but I will be honest I tried to remove the lambada yesterday and she was pretty solid in the downpipe, I didnt want to give it to much abuse to get it out so I will be taking it to my workshop to heat it with the oxy, just want to be honest fella
I did a swap from Miltek to Janspeed and I'm sure the Miltek downpipe mated to the Janspeed centre and back box Rob Day who I swapped with did the changeover in no time. Maybe worth dropping him a PM.

Last edited by Maz; 11 June 2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11 June 2013, 11:46 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Oh sweet, I didn't realise that yours was already off. No problem regarding heating it as long as it is just enough to persuade the sensor

Are you ok at looking closer towards the end of the month? The system has to stay on until I get her to S4U on 22nd. How are we going to sort out the actual swapsies?
Old 11 June 2013, 11:47 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Einstein, what prompted the swap from Milly to Janspeed?
Old 11 June 2013, 11:50 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Einstein, what prompted the swap from Milly to Janspeed?
He wanted something louder , I took the car over to Rob and the japspeed mated to the milltek downpipe no issue
Old 11 June 2013, 12:04 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by banny sti
He wanted something louder , I took the car over to Rob and the japspeed mated to the milltek downpipe no issue

As above. I think the Miltek will suit you fine. It's unobtrusive until you let rip and then it sounds awesome. Truth be told when going for it it sounded better than the Janspeed.

Quick Reply: Scoob#4, modded Blobeye. Various questions!