Sponsored by:

Must do list on classic impreza

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2013, 11:19 PM
rich-zs-180
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Must do list on classic impreza

Well I have now had my classic for a week now and love her to bits but have a few bits annoying me so its time for scanners to come out.

I have just orderd all the fluids from opie oils for diff, gearbox, and engine along with new filter and magnetic sump plug.

Now I've looked around the site but can't find a definitive guide for a must do maintenance and DIY mods to do on the classic to improve it drivability and ensure its in great shape.

Now ATM its sitting on 17" rims but fitted with 205/40/17 rubber now I'm not really happy with this combo seems a tad harsh ride wise. What would people suggest for a 17" rim on a classic.

Currently she is lowered on springs that I believe to be eibach (they are red) and hard as hell again not to my taste on roads around here is they a better spring, while maintaining a reasonable ride height.

Currently have a bailey dump valve on her ( not a fan) and want to return it to oem, anyone got pictures of oem set up.

Lastly got a 3"inch turbo back exhuast on that sounds way to loud and currently preventing me enjoying driving car to full potential, (also been told its dangerous as has no cats and have no proof of remap) is there anyway to quite it down

Thanks in advance I'm a total noob with scoobs. But have had plenty of clasic vws and around 10 rover turbos lol that I have worked on and modded so not afraid to get hands dirty
Old 31 May 2013, 01:38 AM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

welcome to our site, sounds like the impreza is not for you , seriousely 90% of imprezas are moded (that is one of the reasons why we buy these cars).

big /catless exhaust are there to make bhp, eibach spring are not really that hard compare to some other brand,17" is ideal for a classic(you should get a ride on 18/19 rims ! ).

thses cars not not for comfort...these are driver's cars which has soul !!!
if you wants comfort get a Bmw, Audi etc etc .
I have a Bmw for a daily and the P1 is my toy !

maintence is

7500 miles/6 months oil change

15k miles/12 months.......... oil change/spark plugs change/
22.5k miles/18months......... oil change
30k miles/24 months..... oil /coolant change/spark plugs/brake fluid/trans& diff oil/air and fuel filter change .

then just repeat the above etc etc....

oh forgot to add cambelt change every60k miles/48 months

Last edited by bighead; 31 May 2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 31 May 2013, 02:18 AM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

I think you will be alright.

I have a GC8.

I think its the perfect car for anyone who likes cars! I have 16" wheels with BC-RA coil overs set in half way to soft.
The ride is much better then my old tein coil overs.

I have 3" straight through pipe and agree it is a little excessive around town. I have a silencer I can slide into the back of the exhaust which is much better for around town when i dont need max performance. Might be what you need!
Old 31 May 2013, 07:25 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

17's can run on 215/40/17. What year is it? Spec, WRX,STI, UK Turbo?

The car is getting on now so much of the bushing will be getting old. Are the shocks a poor match/knackered? Is it too low? Tyre pressures?

Welcome to the money pit.
Old 31 May 2013, 07:39 AM
spender(again)
Scooby Regular

Pre fill new oil filter before fitting................
Old 31 May 2013, 08:00 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome.
I'm not a fan of big wheels and rock hard suspension either, bigger the wheel, usually the more expensive the tyre and the thinner side walls knacker it's ability to absorb bumps, coupled with stiff suspension make for a crap ride and a skittish car when pushing on, on all but the smoothest of surfaces.

As for noisy exhausts, I'm old and don't need to attract the attention of young girls in mcdonalds car park.

So solution time.

I prefer the ride on 16's and standard suspension for several reasons, mostly it's about balance between price, comfort and performance.

My classic is an import STI Type r so comes with firmer suspension than UK versions, I find rather than swap the springs or fit coilovers, the 16's absorb more of the imperfections in the road and offer a bit of flex so I can find the limit of grip and exploit it before speeds get really silly, My car is for fun after all and i'm not a racing driver.

There are other things you can do to keep the wayward handling in check without sacrificing a certain amount of comfort.

You can still fit 4 pot front brakes, which with the right disc and pad are fine sub 350bhp for a road car.

Exhaust wise, if it's got a straight through you can fit a resonated centre section and a quieter back box or bung as above, I like the Prodrive back box on my New age Blob nice and quiet around town then livens up when you give it some beans.

Best bet is to contact a few of the breakers on here who will be able to advise and supply all the bits required to take it back towards OEM.

A lot of people that own these cars think more power and firm suspension make for a fast car, but quite often they just handle even worse and make more noise than they already do, Subaru did a pretty good job in their day and modding can upset as well as improve, learning which mod does what is the key.

Have fun.
Old 31 May 2013, 08:04 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spender(again)
Pre fill new oil filter before fitting................
And.

Disconnect crank sensor and turn it over to build oil pressure and get oil around the galleries before starting.

I change my oil every 3/5000 or 6 months dependant on use.
Old 31 May 2013, 09:52 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Welcome.
I'm not a fan of big wheels and rock hard suspension either, bigger the wheel, usually the more expensive the tyre and the thinner side walls knacker it's ability to absorb bumps, coupled with stiff suspension make for a crap ride and a skittish car when pushing on, on all but the smoothest of surfaces.

As for noisy exhausts, I'm old and don't need to attract the attention of young girls in mcdonalds car park.

So solution time.

I prefer the ride on 16's and standard suspension for several reasons, mostly it's about balance between price, comfort and performance.

My classic is an import STI Type r so comes with firmer suspension than UK versions, I find rather than swap the springs or fit coilovers, the 16's absorb more of the imperfections in the road and offer a bit of flex so I can find the limit of grip and exploit it before speeds get really silly, My car is for fun after all and i'm not a racing driver.

There are other things you can do to keep the wayward handling in check without sacrificing a certain amount of comfort.

You can still fit 4 pot front brakes, which with the right disc and pad are fine sub 350bhp for a road car.

Exhaust wise, if it's got a straight through you can fit a resonated centre section and a quieter back box or bung as above, I like the Prodrive back box on my New age Blob nice and quiet around town then livens up when you give it some beans.

Best bet is to contact a few of the breakers on here who will be able to advise and supply all the bits required to take it back towards OEM.

A lot of people that own these cars think more power and firm suspension make for a fast car, but quite often they just handle even worse and make more noise than they already do, Subaru did a pretty good job in their day and modding can upset as well as improve, learning which mod does what is the key.

Have fun.
Can I just say this is an excellent post and the OP won't go far wrong taking heed of this
Old 31 May 2013, 09:56 AM
rich-zs-180
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all the advice, the car is a 97 uk turbo.

I actually don't have anything against modded cars but sometimes I think certain mods can ruin cars drivability.

The dump valve Is shot and leaking boost can hear it hence why I'm looking at going back to standard re-circ (struggling to find one ATM).

I think the susspension is silly low the old owner said it was dropped 40-60mm now from previous experience with other cars that's at the limits of the standard shockers travel.

The exhuast I'm getting used to as long as I'm not causing damage to engine I've learned to drive it quietly in areas withered I don't want attention, just read a few posts on here saying if you run a de cat could require a re-map?

I'm just wanting to get the car in A1 condition myself and then start looking at modding her myself, but not wanting anything silly 260ish bhp and just keep her really clean and well maintained

And ditch it is indeed a fantastic post and great advice

Last edited by rich-zs-180; 31 May 2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 31 May 2013, 10:04 AM
ken-sti
Scooby Regular

I had same problem on my type r had 17s with 215 40's on it and ride was very hard. i changed up a wall size to 215 45's and made it like a new car for such simple change...
Old 31 May 2013, 10:07 AM
New_scooby_04

Wheels 17s fine - I found them to be an improvement in ride quality than over 16s, if you get a lightweight wheel and a tyre with a sensible width sidewall, but you don't need to go bigger than 16s.
Suspension - Really no need to go coilovers on a classic decent uprated springs adequate.
Ride height. Classic Imprezas don't like going lower than 30mm as a generalisation - just no need for it.
Brakes. Go to 4 pots from the MY99 and Uprated pads i.e. DS25000 or Pagid blacks make a big difference.
Exhaust. Something like the original scooby design from H&S sounds nice, but isn't attention seeking
VTA Dumpvalve, nasty things generally, std recirculating jobbie by far the best solution.

If you're going for a decat exhaust you should get a remap from a reputable tuner as a) it'll ensure the car is ruining safely b) It will significantly boost power and toque and the all important drive-ability.

Ns04 (Had a MY99 for five years and prefers discreet performance)

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 31 May 2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 31 May 2013, 10:25 AM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

You're doing the right thing getting rid of the DV and putting a standard one on. You can get the standard recirc's cheap second hand. Rest of the best advice is follow what Ditchmyster has posted. And welcome to SN fella.
Old 31 May 2013, 12:36 PM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bighead
seriousely 90% of imprezas are moded (that is one of the reasons why we buy these cars).
Speak for yourself..... Its all about standard

Last edited by Jazzy Jefferson; 31 May 2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 31 May 2013, 09:13 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazzy Jefferson
Speak for yourself..... Its all about standard
I am !!...see my garage in my Profile
Old 31 May 2013, 09:56 PM
BHPvstorque
Scooby Regular

Have you thought about the hks silent system ? The late great Harvey said it produced good power but was nice and quiet cruising plus being a 2.75 system good balance of power/noise.
Old 01 June 2013, 04:36 PM
rich-zs-180
Scooby Regular

I hadn't but will go and have a search on the net to look into one

Cheers

Rich
Old 01 June 2013, 10:01 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- if you get chance take the oil pump off and tighten the screws on the backing plate.
- full geo set up
- take the skirts off and give the sills and arches a good clean to keep the rust away.