Sponsored by:

Thinking of swapping the V2 WRX for a newage WRX Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2013, 09:58 PM
Essexdon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of swapping the V2 WRX for a newage WRX Wagon

Hi fellow members, just wondering about a few things and after a few different opinions.

Currently running two cars a Mondeo Zetec-S Mark 3 runabout and a V2 WRX 95 saloon as the weekend toy. I'm starting to think about trading the classic for a newage wagon and dropping the Mondeo too, the classic is low mileage and well spec'd with API Excedy clutch and lightened fly wheel, engine earthing kit, 2.5inch Ninja exhaust, Walbro fuel pump, Apexi shocks with 40mm springs, front and rear upper strut braces, front lower H brace, Bugeye WRX interior front and back, 4 pot front and 2 pot rear brakes both rebuilt using stainless pistons and new seals, Godspeed disks and pads, HEL stainless braided brake hoses and 17" Inovit alloys with T1Rs.

Due to work I'm not in the need to do as many miles and it's hard to justify the running costs of two motors especially one being an Impreza. Keeping the classic is a bit hardcore for a daily runabout as having the misses and a 3 month old little boy to think about.

As much as I think this is the sensible idea, well the sensible idea would be to buy a diesel, I can't get rid of the classic.
Old 25 May 2013, 08:07 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was in a similar position, with my Type r, only used it occasionally with the odd track day I put 10k on it in 8yrs with 2/3 cars and motor bikes it was just easier to jump in what was parked on the drive than go through the hassle of getting it out the garage and on sunny days I'd ride a bike, there was also the fact that I was always frightened it would go pop again.

So then I thought **** it i'll break it and get a blob wagon, so sold quite a few bits but decided to hang on to it as I found some damage on the shell that meant it was worth maybe £500, so it's tucked up in the garage till I have the time and money to do it justice.

So now I have a Blob WRX PPP as a daily, and to be honest it's a much better car than the Type r for day to day stuff and on the road it's quicker in a lot of situations, it's nowhere near as much fun but it's a damm sight more planted on the UK's crappy roads, it came with AP 4pots up front and after a couple of handling mods and geo it handles and stops well enough, and with the very safe PPP map I have much more confidence in the car than my type r.

If I were you I'd flog the mundaino buy an 03/04 and swap your brakes over as they are a straight swap and the clutch and flywheel if it's light weight, return the classic to standard and flog your bits and bobs that won't swap over roll bars ect.

I'd also recommend the PPP, it gets slated on here, but as usual mostly by people that have never driven one, the head line figures can be bettered with a few upgrades and remap, but the mid range grunt and drive ability where it counts is spot on, with the little TD04 turbo's early spool it's always willing to go when needed, and quicker than a standard STI until well over the speed limit, add to that the fact that it's a Prodrive map, who I think it's fair to say "know a thing or two about subarus" and as above I feel safer in that knowledge when pushing on, the 5 speed box is also the best subaru box for a daily IMO and despite what people say, If looked after can handle decent power if you fancy a bit of modding.

So all in all I say go for it, I certainly don't regret it.

I'd also add that there is nothing out there that could hand me my a$$ in the real world on the road for the same price and even a damm sight more, a few have tried and failed.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 25 May 2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 28 May 2013, 08:14 PM
Essexdon
Scooby Regular

Cheers ditch that is a fantastic reply. Pretty much the answer I was looking for. So you dont feel the burn to replace the little td04?
Old 28 May 2013, 09:06 PM
funkmasterjay
Scooby Regular

I stuck to my guns and bough a classic wagon. I see you are on Canvey. You are more than welcome to come for a ride or even drive mine if you wish.

Mine is my semi daily. I use my wife's EH9 Civic occasionally....

J
Old 31 May 2013, 10:49 PM
Essexdon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by funkmasterjay
I stuck to my guns and bough a classic wagon. I see you are on Canvey. You are more than welcome to come for a ride or even drive mine if you wish.

Mine is my semi daily. I use my wife's EH9 Civic occasionally....

J
Thanks for the offer mate, already had 2 classics so know what to expect. Just need a more user friendly car, I have a front mount, 440s, fuel rails ready to go but again if I sell the classic its easier to mod the newage.
Old 01 June 2013, 07:15 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Essexdon
Cheers ditch that is a fantastic reply. Pretty much the answer I was looking for. So you dont feel the burn to replace the little td04?
If I was tracking it then yes I would, but as a daily driver the spool on the td04 is great, yeah sure it looses out to bigger turbos in the top end stakes, but realistically as I said above, were talking about 80 to 120mph and above before i'd get overhauled and dusted by pretty much anything on the road, and the dusted part just won't happen on the road, because I won't go that fast, equally the same goes for a re-map, the car has done 92k ish so I think it's a decent engine, if I go spend £300 get it mapped I may get another 10/15 bhp , but it may also go pop a few miles down the road.

I like the ppp again just repeating the comments above, it's got a decent amount of grunt where it counts, I don't drive it like a loon or race people, I just like to be able to get ahead at the lights and get by the numpties on country roads with the odd bit of fun now and then as and when the mood takes me, if I wanted to go tear arsing about the place i'd get a 1000cc sports bike again.

Although that could turn out to be a load of bollax because I need to stick a clutch in it and I may as well stick my light weight flywheel in while i'm at it, which i'm sure could start the rot setting in.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 01 June 2013 at 07:34 AM.