Sponsored by:

Safe Selling

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2002, 11:54 AM
Nick B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm looking at trading up to a newer Scooby, but having had trade in values from the dealers, its obviously worth my while to sell privately.

Can anyone give tips on how to do this safely, i.e. avoiding "joy ride test drives" etc:-
1) Do people normally allow test drives, and how do you cover it on your insurance?
2) When do you hand the car over - do you wait till you've banked and cleared cheques / drafts or does the buyer expect to drive away the day they give you the money?
Old 20 May 2002, 12:02 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Nick

Essentially I always ask to see ID and proof of insurance. I tell them this before they come to view. Tell them to head for the general area you live and ask them to call you again for the final address and directions. Never leave keys in ignition when changing over (or at any other point for that matter). Always have a mate with you.

Bankers draft is usually a safe bet, but make sure you complete the transaction whilst the banks are still open so you can verify that it is genuine. Obtain the bank phone number from the phone book or 192. Don't dial any number they might give you as it may be his mate and not the bank at all.

Cheers

TONY
Old 20 May 2002, 12:04 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

Superb advice
Old 20 May 2002, 01:14 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Make sure whoever can actually afford the car........bank book, statement, etc....

I've never known anybody ewho has had insrance whilst test driving a car, so good luck with that one. I cant imagine prospective buyers getting insured on a scooby (which they dont own) cheaply!

Ask for a depost before the test drive? To cover excess, any driver cover, etc??

Matt.
Old 20 May 2002, 01:44 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

Legally speaking then if you have insurnace, 99% of policy's including 3rd party cover also give's you 3rd party cover on any vehicle. So if they hit someone it's on their insurance any damage to the / your car is not covered.

Perhaps a gentlemans "if ya bend it ya mend it" agreement would cover that side of things, take the keys to whatever they came in as a deposit (presuming it's worth something). Other than that excellent advise above.

Good luck in selling,

Phill
Old 20 May 2002, 08:27 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Good advice. I suppose if the value of their car they have brought does not 'cover' any potential damage then they can't afford yours! Don't forget a photo of the potential buyer - use a disposable camera. Leave it at home when you go for the test drive in case the unthinkable happens. If they don't want to be photographed, then no go, daddy-o.

Joolz
Old 20 May 2002, 08:39 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

What a good idea Matt - asking for proof that they have the dosh. I have sold cars privately before (many years ago) and never thought of that.

If I was buying and was genuine I would have no problem with proving my ID, showing I had the dosh and having my pic taken, not that anyone would want a pic of me

My input - ask to see driving licence and the log book (V5) of their car - should prove their serious.

David