Help! My car is dead

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2013, 06:49 AM
barkerblaze
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! My car is dead

Hi,

I am in need of some technical help. I have a 2002 Forester Sport (the 1st shape). Friday night my car alarm started going off for no reason, after about 30 seconds it would stop and then 30ish seconds later it would start up again, I rushed out with my keys to try and stop it using the 'plip', no joy I then rushed into the garage and changed the batteries in the 'plip', still no joy. At this point I needed to stop the alarm as not to annoy the neighbours too much, I didn't have my pin code to hand as i've never needed to use it before, so as a last resort I lifted the bonnet and disconnected the earth from the battery. The follow day re-connected the battery, the alarm started sounding straight away so I jumped into the car and tried to put in the key code, nothing happened the alarm kept on going. I have noticed that when I pressed the buttons on the keypad the LED wasnt lighting up, I have checked every fuse in both boxes and they all ok. The car battery is fully charged. I have found that sometimes when I reconnect the car battery the alarm will sound, and other times it will not. I'm really confused now I now have a Fozzzie that won't start and now with a disconnected battery Could somebody out there please help me?
Old 14 May 2013, 07:45 AM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Give API a ring as they're not far from you and might be able to help over the phone as they are helpful. Falling that they could recover it to their place and help. Someone might come along and give a simple fix though.

Aaron
Old 14 May 2013, 09:33 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not our scene electrical problems like that, sorry. Try a local car alarm company they'll come out and fix it.

David APi
Old 14 May 2013, 06:40 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

they use to use the same circuit that powers the interior light, it's a 15a fuse in the engine bay fuse box.
the key pad gets it's power from the ecu so check you got power to the ecu and if you have then it looks like the ecu could be at fault
Old 14 May 2013, 10:23 PM
barkerblaze
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies, I'll certainly have a look at the ecu connections tomorrow evening, if anybody else has any other suggestions I would be most grateful. On a sub note, with the battery connected the interior light still works and all fuses are intact.
Old 14 May 2013, 10:41 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by barkerblaze
Thanks for the replies, I'll certainly have a look at the ecu connections tomorrow evening, if anybody else has any other suggestions I would be most grateful. On a sub note, with the battery connected the interior light still works and all fuses are intact.
I had a problem with the alarm and it tuned out that a core in the control cable to the key pad was broken.

Another issue i had was the battery in the alarm unit failed, yours is at an age where i would expect that.

Cheers
Old 15 May 2013, 06:04 AM
barkerblaze
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Beastie
I had a problem with the alarm and it tuned out that a core in the control cable to the key pad was broken.

Another issue i had was the battery in the alarm unit failed, yours is at an age where i would expect that.

Cheers
Beastie,

Many thanks for this info, I guess I know what i'll be doing this weekend then!
Old 16 May 2013, 05:55 AM
barkerblaze
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Beastie

Cheers
Sorry to be a pain, but does anybody know where the alarm unit can be found? i'm guessing its in the engine bay somewhere.