Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are we slowly being overtaken...

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2013, 02:29 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are we slowly being overtaken...

... by the current and forthcoming crop of hot hatches?

It seems that every front wheel drive sporty hatch that appears is either nearly, as, or more powerful than the best of the Subarus from the last 10 years or so.

I'm apparently running 315 bhp in my Blob, but given the power to weight and transmission losses, I'm becoming acutely aware that anything recent and quick is going to give me a very hard time of it, especially as (I'll admit) I'm not the fastest driver.

I don't want a hot hatch, and I love everything about the Blob, but are we now sadly in yesterday's performance cars?
Old 13 May 2013, 02:35 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Enjoy the Scoob for what it is. They are becoming rarer, they are of a certain genre, it's what you like and don't turn into a traffic light grand prix tool.
Old 13 May 2013, 02:41 PM
donthaveascoobie
Scooby Regular

I don't mind being caught up by the most recent hot hatches. They're new and there would be something wrong if performance and economy hadn't improved in the last 10+ years.

I like mine for the way it drives and the flat four rumble and characteristics. A lot of the new hot hatches just don't have the same feel
Old 13 May 2013, 02:44 PM
bighoose
Scooby Regular

Front wheel drive !!! Says it all to me ! try turning into a corner with that power , then try in your car ...i know which i would rather drive
Old 13 May 2013, 02:47 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Just don't worry about it

Look at what it cost you to enjoy the car you wanted, and then take a look at the youngster in the ticked up hot hatch, I know which I would rather be in

But yes it is becoming more apparent that the newer stuff has had a leap forward in the progression field, there are some little nippy things out there now that will quite happily sit on the back end of a standard scoob, lucky for me I've not come across anything that's shown me its heels yet but things have certainly come along way over the years, just look at the new 1ltr. Focus, it hands its 1.6 bigger brother its *** granted it has a little blower strapped to it, but that's still good going for a 1ltr
Old 13 May 2013, 02:48 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

As I say, I love the Scoob, so there's no chance of it being replaced with a hot hatch. I've probably just read too many recent road tests and forgotten what makes the 4WDs so special.
Old 13 May 2013, 02:53 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Cool

There are some hot hatches out there that are nice and I do actually quite like Astra and Corsa VXR's, but it is nice to know that under your right foot when you nail it you don't loose any traction when all your 4 wheels project you forward but your body feels like it has been left behind as you get firmly planted in to your seat

Rear wheel drive is fun, but gets a bit expensive on the tyre side of things lol

4WD all day long

Trending Topics

Old 13 May 2013, 02:56 PM
adamroutley
Scooby Regular

300+bhp in a fwd car is pointless.

4wd all day long.
Old 13 May 2013, 03:15 PM
Ash170990
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by adamroutley
300+bhp in a fwd car is pointless.

4wd all day long.
Bit of a bold claim... alot of the newer stuff can handle this power without major issues with trick diffs etc....

and in answer to the OP's question, Yes. new hot hatchs are getting quicker and quicker, but as said, isnt that what you expect? I was a bit shocked that my type R couldnt outrun a fiesta ST very easily, but once i thought about it, i wasnt that surprised, its at least 10 years younger, probably weights less, and will have similar bhp per ton...

As for people saying 4wd is the best, that all depends on what you want from a car....FWD can still be brilliant fun, i know my old RS was, nice and easy to get some lift off over steer, that was always good fun
Old 13 May 2013, 03:16 PM
logger
Scooby Regular

Well no idea what my cars has power wise, but kept up with an astra VXR easly and on the corners i was all over him like a tramp on chips lol its no good having loads of power if the chassie cant do anything with it ? Lol
Old 13 May 2013, 03:17 PM
matt350
Scooby Newbie

Having just come from a Mazda 3 MPS to the STI, the Subaru is already the best car i have ever owned. c260hp was fun in a sleeper car like the MPS but trust me I really don't want to torque steer at the central reservation when i put my foot down anymore!

Besides, power isn't everything - i was always amazed at how hard my 350z had to work to even edge away from a 182 clio!! And down a tight road the 350z would have really struggled, but having owned both i would still have the 350z every day of the week.

Last edited by matt350; 13 May 2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 13 May 2013, 03:35 PM
Ash170990
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by logger
Well no idea what my cars has power wise, but kept up with an astra VXR easly and on the corners i was all over him like a tramp on chips lol its no good having loads of power if the chassie cant do anything with it ? Lol
lol VXR's do make me laugh, they are a nice looking car, and with a decat remus they sound awesome, but like you say, the chassis lets them down big time! touch the throttle with the wheels turned and it understeers lol
Old 13 May 2013, 03:36 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Hot hatches, endless hours of fun owning them
Old 13 May 2013, 03:38 PM
keljon
Scooby Regular

tune yours to 400, sorted
Old 13 May 2013, 03:57 PM
Ash170990
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Hot hatches, endless hours of fun owning them
as in owning one? Or like kids say when playing call of duty and shoot someone they "owned" them?
Old 13 May 2013, 04:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Different type of car, usually owned by a different sort of person.

My eldest runs a Clio 197 Sport. It DOES handle well and I struggle to leave him even on a twisty road with over 400 bhp in a classic with sorted suspension.

But part of that is that I don't want to push mine anywhere near it's, or MY limit

Modern cars: more power, but heavier too.

As for front-wheel drive, read some road tests: those who aren't completely in thrall to the hot hatches ALWAYS say that you get problems in anything but the dry.
Old 13 May 2013, 04:45 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got myself the new juke Nismo and love it 200Bhp is great fun and handles
Well but
Still love my 13 yr old classic 4WD
Old 13 May 2013, 04:58 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Evolution isn't restricted to organic things, although it's called progress in technology terms.

Just like evolution, cars and motoring will continue to have eras and phases.

Remember the Audi Quattro, and what it did for motoring?
Without its groundbreaking development perhaps we wouldn't be Subaru enthusiasts.
Without Subarus (and Evos) there wouldn't be the demand for cars that go like the brown stuff off a shovel while sticking to any surface like glue.
Perhaps without Scoobies there wouldn't be the new generation of hot hatch because manufacturers and potential customers always aspire to be better than the acknowledged top dogs.

And just like the Quattro will still do today what it did when first launched, so will Subarus, and I'm more than happy.
It took a former N Class driver to show me how much I was under-utilising my Catalunya.
I hate to think how much I'm missing out on my Hawk !

It's definitely AWD for me.
Old 13 May 2013, 05:00 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A well regarded hot hatch sporting a blue oval tried picking on me the other day, I turned him into a dot in my rear view mirror as I was in one of those caring moods.

Agreed some of these new cars are quite potent but remember that a well sorted and breathed on Impreza can handle a lot more than these cars pushing the limits of conventional FWD technology at the moment.

In isolation the Impreza Turbo variants will always be quick cars, especially on the public roads.
Old 13 May 2013, 05:37 PM
didly
Scooby Regular

Lets not forget... The hot hatches will be stuck on their drives while your playing in the snow :-)
Old 13 May 2013, 06:00 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

as mentioned the Impreza is old hat design wise, but is still very capable,
Think about the old super cars we see and actually how slow and cumbersome they are in today's terms, they were the dogs in their day but a modern diesel astra was quicker(top gear reference) around a track.
Old 13 May 2013, 06:02 PM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's all a case of strengths and weaknesses. All FWD cars that are small in size but high in power will be quick in a straight line. Make the road greasy/wet, chuck in a few roundabouts and the FWD car will be nowhere. The same applies to RWD cars, far too skittish in greasy/wet conditions - overdo it and you go hedge cutting backwards.

4WD is all about traction, predictability. There is a series of bends near me that I have been racing round for years. 205 1.9 GTI and Clio 182 could go round them about 75, a BMW 3 coupe series about 70 but the fastest I've been round them? 85mph in a Delta Integrale.

Plus when it snows I know that I'll have no problems whatsoever ; )
Old 13 May 2013, 06:09 PM
G4rfo
Scooby Regular

give me that flat 4 anyday
and they stick to corners very well
Old 13 May 2013, 06:12 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I'm currently pondering grabbing a Golf TDi 4Motion..... plus a re-map !
( Subaru's diesel WRX's have crank problems. )

The VW guys rave about how good they are, so I pointed out that 4WD was all it took to make the WRX an icon to the knowledgeable.

As for the new hot hatch brigade..... don't make me laugh, only on bone dry tarmac do they have a hope.

I out-braked and passed a Megane "training shoe" in mine and the guy was astonished he'd been passed by a 2002 Sti

As stated, a different product, for a different generation.

dunx
Old 13 May 2013, 06:33 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

I drove a standard Focus ST 09 plate today with 18k on the clock.
It came into work as a p/x a few weeks ago, and as I was at one of our compounds, I took it out.

Whilst it was probably as quick in a straight line as my standard 07 plate STi Spec D, it lacked feel / feedback.

It had quite a nice induction noise, but spooled at about 1.0 bar max according to the dash mounted dial.

The interior was full of rubbish looking carbon fibre effect. I just didn't feel I was driving anything "that special"

Did I like the Focus ST? Not really.

Would I buy one? No.
Old 13 May 2013, 07:26 PM
Moseley
Scooby Regular

I currently drive an Astra VXR which I'm hoping to sell shortly to get into Impreza ownership. For me, it makes a great, quick daily drive that can easily overtake in 6th due to the quick spool and overboost 'function.' It is comfy on long runs and has a very practical sized boot / interior. The engine is very easy to work on.

However, it is not a fun drive by any stretch of the imagination, and really doesn't put a grin on my face like my old Rover Coupe Turbo or 200SX did. It spins very easily in 1st and 2nd, and I've had the TC light flickering away whilst cornering in 3rd. To be fair, most of this isn't helped by only having an open diff as standard.

Sure, there are modern cars out there that are rapid, but for me, it's how the car makes me feel when I'm behind the wheel that's more important.
Old 13 May 2013, 08:03 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

I dont think so, most hot hatches today are still in the 6-7sec to 60mph and FWD. whilst they dont match the performance they are much more economical than imprezas/evos etc. End of the day you pay your money and make your choice.

Even when I look at new cars such as the 208 GTI i would rather have my old 306 GTI-6, the newer 208 gti isnt any quicker and I doubt its as fun to drive.
Old 13 May 2013, 08:08 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Osimabu
... by the current and forthcoming crop of hot hatches?

It seems that every front wheel drive sporty hatch that appears is either nearly, as, or more powerful than the best of the Subarus from the last 10 years or so.

I'm apparently running 315 bhp in my Blob, but given the power to weight and transmission losses, I'm becoming acutely aware that anything recent and quick is going to give me a very hard time of it, especially as (I'll admit) I'm not the fastest driver.

I don't want a hot hatch, and I love everything about the Blob, but are we now sadly in yesterday's performance cars?
Sell yours and buy an old classic sti, Im sure that will answer your question
Old 13 May 2013, 08:27 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Sorry, I'm confused. Do you mean because it will make the Blob seem more modern, or because the old STi will be better?

The Blob is a Type 20 if that has any bearing on it.
Old 13 May 2013, 08:40 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Osimabu
Sorry, I'm confused. Do you mean because it will make the Blob seem more modern, or because the old STi will be better?

The Blob is a Type 20 if that has any bearing on it.
Just meant try one of the older imprezas, you will see just how much better its performance is than new hot hatches. Much more fun too.

Quick Reply: Are we slowly being overtaken...