ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Sticking Brembo Calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2013, 11:25 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Question Sticking Brembo Calipers?

Passenger side Brembo caliper sticking when first starting to drive the car, anyone any idea what could be causing this, Car had new discs and pads about 3000 miles ago, the pads don't seem to have much meat left (basically cheap sh!te) could this be caused by a build up of brake dust? It only happens on the passenger side.

I have had the car back once already for the same problem, the caliper stuck on at about 80mph and there was a vibration and burning smell until it freed itself. Garage cleaned everything up but it has started again.

Additionally, I have had the following historic braking system fault codes read from ECU:-

56 G sensor abnormal
42 IG power supply voltage too high

Thanks in advance.
Old 27 April 2013, 11:44 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd just get them off and have them refurbed @ Goodspeed or buy the kit and do it yourself like I did, I think he does an exchange or will turn yours around pretty quick and they come back like new, and get yourself some decent pads while your at it.

I had a sticking calliper send me into a spin on a wet patch just before a bend, not a very nice experience.
Old 27 April 2013, 01:28 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When was the last time the fluid was changed?

JohnD
Old 27 April 2013, 04:08 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnD
When was the last time the fluid was changed?

JohnD
Good question, although I bought it with a FSH, I don't have the invoices.

It has 4x Subaru main dealer stamps, 1 x independent and 1 from the dealer I bought it from. The 5th service was from the independent which was when the brake fluid should have been changed.

The pads that are fitted are not good, brakes squeal like mad after a hard stop. Even so, don't see how this could only affect one caliper.

I have a 2 year warranty from the supplying dealer, but not too sure if the callipers are classed as a wear and tear item.
Old 27 April 2013, 04:15 PM
Moseley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the garage cleaned it up, did they pop the pistons out and put new seals in the caliper? If not, this will explain why it happened again.

Get them fully rebuilt and change fluid at the same time, and it should cure the problem - cheap pads are not the cause of calipers sticking.
Old 29 April 2013, 07:32 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moseley
When the garage cleaned it up, did they pop the pistons out and put new seals in the caliper? If not, this will explain why it happened again.

Get them fully rebuilt and change fluid at the same time, and it should cure the problem - cheap pads are not the cause of calipers sticking.
Neither are the seals tbh, callipers normally seize due to the pistons rusting, if the caliper has normal steel pistons fitted and the brake fluid hasnt been changed then this is the problem, as brake fluid is hygroscopic it absorbs water and if the fluid isnt changed or calliper bled then itll rust the pistons.

If anything getting them fully rebuilt using stainless pistons is the best idea imo.