Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY01 wrx

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2001, 01:33 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im having problems with my new MY01 WRX. In the mornings i have trouble starting it. It turns over for a while then when it starts it sounds as if it is going to die. I dont know a hell of a lot about cars, but im sure/hope that it is quite easy to resolve.

Im also considering upping the power on it. So where do i start. I want if posssible about 10-30 bhp extra cos through the gears it seems a bit sluggish. So i would be grateful if any of u experts could fill a newbie scooby owner in, on modding up your car a little.
Cheers guys
Scrappy.
Old 20 April 2001, 09:40 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

It is important to start your car without touching the accelerator pedal. If you already start it like this, speak to your dealer. It should start within two turns.

As for more power, a good exhaust system or the forth coming Prodrive ECU upgrade will widen your smile.
Old 22 April 2001, 10:30 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

My girlfriend (ohmygodyes - i let her drive!!) compalined my WRX MY01 wouldnt start. She was dabbing the throttle as well!!!

Works fine if you dont so if you aint get to the dealer!!

Jza

Old 22 April 2001, 11:14 AM
adyhicut
Scooby Senior

Wink

Scrappy

Talk to Pete Croney at
Old 22 April 2001, 11:45 AM
vmax
Scooby Regular

Hey ScrappyDoo,

Not sure what the problem is with it not starting. But give the poor thing a chance to run in before you expect Peak performance. It will still benefit from an exhaust and airfilter upgrage, but don't beat her to death trying to get her to perform.

Not starting might be it's way of saying ENOUGH ALREADY !

Why did you buy a MY01
Old 22 April 2001, 01:57 PM
DeliciouSpeed
Scooby Regular

Turn your key to on, let the pump prime a moment before starting. Helps tons. Check out Pete he can get you mo powa!

Ken
Old 23 April 2001, 12:59 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

vmax
If that was a serious comment "why did you buy a MY01".....

I have a MY00 with ITG panel filter and full Scoobysport decat system.........Pete Croney took me out for some Basildon roundabout lappery in his MY01 on Saturday morning; allowing for the fact he has a full Leda setup on his, it would leave mine for dead.....this is called progress

PS Pete - still chuckling about the story of the guy that put the JATO rocket motor on the back of his pickup....
Old 23 April 2001, 09:26 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Oh if you insist

Old 23 April 2001, 12:43 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, but ive already done 6K miles,so i think it is run in. vmax, i bought it because previously i owned a peugeot, and wanted a scooby, so i thought, hey why not buy the newest one. It may be down on speed and looks, as seems to be the opinion of some, but it leaves most cars for dead, and with a little bit of kit on it, the girls just love it. I say lets just move on and try and improve on what is one of the best handling cars on the road at the moment for its price.
Scrappy
Old 23 April 2001, 01:01 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Cool

...oh and as for the looks of the MY01, 18" Speedlines and a decent rear wing transform Pete's car, once it has the Morette twin headlamp kit on it will look meaner than a junkyard dog........
Old 23 April 2001, 03:07 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Is the tide now turning in favour of the MY01?

I bloody well hope so!!

Steve
Old 23 April 2001, 03:39 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Dave

Been laughing for months about it. Can't you just see his face

Steve

I hope so too. It is a great car.
Old 23 April 2001, 04:58 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dave T-S:
<B>PS Pete - still chuckling about the story of the guy that put the JATO rocket motor on the back of his pickup.... [/quote]

Old 23 April 2001, 05:13 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Pete Croney:
<B>Dave

Been laughing for months about it. Can't you just see his face

Steve

I hope so too. It is a great car.[/quote]

Pete
It's his underpants I wouldn't want to see.... - mind you, they would have been toast along with the rest of him LOL

Old 23 April 2001, 05:29 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hate to be a party pooper but I think think these stories about people strapping JATO engines to their cars/trucks are urban myths..
Old 23 April 2001, 10:45 PM
vmax
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dave T-S

It was a serious question. He said he has bought a NEW MY01 and it feels sluggish. I just wanted to know what he expected from the car.

I love my MY01. The handling is better than the previous car. But the refinement does give the feeling of abstraction from the speed you are actually doing.

I used to drive a Lexus IS200. The MY01 feels like the same car with a huge dose of red bull in the tank and sharper handling. In fact I can even recognise some of the parts used on the Lexus seriously...

Top car.!

Oh I have heard that the scooby engine doesn't start to loosen up until approx 8k.

Pete, Nice wheels mate... Do they only come in gold

[This message has been edited by vmax (edited 23 April 2001).]
Old 24 April 2001, 08:00 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Gastro
The Morette kit is sitting on Pete's desk....

Scrappydoo
Let me expand on my post. Acceleration wise, Pete's car is probably not that different to mine. The MY00 comes in more with a bang whereby the MY01 feels more progressive. Of course, if Pete let me drive his I would get a better feel for it - Pete - how about at Bedford on 25 May? - Pete - Pete.......LOL .

Pete's car has Leda's on, the MY01 shell is stiffer and the geometry is different, he has Brembos on - so point to point, he will be quicker into a bend with better brakes, quicker round it with better suspension and undoubtably quicker from A to B. I live in a rural area, 14 mile commute through the fields on unrestricted single lane roads where no straight is more than 200 yards for any of the 14 miles. With Pete's car, I would be at home finishing a cup of tea before mine arrived.......
Old 24 April 2001, 12:25 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Ok then pete tell us all what you have done to the engine. If it is as fast as dave Ts says it is i want u to sup mine up to. There is an RB5 round where i live and about a week ago he came up behind me, with 3 people in his car. Now i had 4 big lads in mine and when he went for it, i keep him out there tell i changed from 3rd to 4th then he flew past me, and hes been pi$$ing me off ever since.So pete i need u to mod mine up a little. Help.
Cheers scrappy
Old 24 April 2001, 12:27 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Ok then pete tell us all what you have done to the engine. If it is as fast as dave Ts says it is i want u to sup mine up to. There is an RB5 round where i live and about a week ago he came up behind me, with 3 people in his car. Now i had 4 big lads in mine and when he went for it, i keep him out there tell i changed from 3rd to 4th then he flew past me, and hes been pi$$ing me off ever since.So pete i need u to mod mine up a little. Help.
Cheers scrappy
Old 24 April 2001, 12:30 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Loathed as I am to say it......
But Mr Croney's '01 is the best MY01 I've ever seen......very nice. Now you need to deal with those headlamps

Gastro
Old 24 April 2001, 08:40 PM
vmax
Scooby Regular

Scrappy Doo !,

Are you sure that your Nemesis' RB5 is standard. I would of thought he would creep past you instead of fly by you
Old 24 April 2001, 09:11 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

i have my01 with 3000 on the clock now. in the last 1000 miles is has really loosened up a bit but i know what you mean about it being a little sluggish.

as mine is a company car, i cant make mods that arent done by subaru and that will affect warranty, so anyone know what i can do do get a bit more grunt ?? how much power will a dealer fit backbox give me ?? is prodrive ecu something i can get fitted by dealer and preserve warranty ???

oh, and yes i am planning to buy the car after i have finished the lease !!

p.s. no cold start probs for me. i dont touch the throttle and it starts on 2 oe 3 turns.

oh how i would love to have it looking like Pete's..........
Old 24 April 2001, 09:23 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by scrappydoo:
<B>Ok then pete tell us all what you have done to the engine. If it is as fast as dave Ts says it is i want u to sup mine up to. There is an RB5 round where i live and about a week ago he came up behind me, with 3 people in his car. Now i had 4 big lads in mine and when he went for it, i keep him out there tell i changed from 3rd to 4th then he flew past me, and hes been pi$$ing me off ever since.So pete i need u to mod mine up a little. Help.
Cheers scrappy[/quote]

Bear in mind a prodrive'd RB5 will have about 30 more Bhp and loads more torque. Power to weight is about 195 Bhp/tonne for the RB5 as opposed to 158 for the MY01.

However the MY01 is so much easier to drive for the 'average' driver, an MK1 will have a hard time keeping up when driven by a driver of the same standard. On a twisty road driver skill, rather than car ability becomes the deciding factor.
Old 24 April 2001, 10:13 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Morette Lights

I was looking at the blurb in the dealers this afternoon. They look significantly better - even though the MY01 lights aren't as ugly as most people around here seem to think ...

£330 ish fitted, according to the guys at cheam.

SteveM
Old 25 April 2001, 09:54 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Can i just point something out...

Petes got a new rear wing and big gold wheels on his car - and its lowered a bit. Thats all. It looks just like a MY01 with gold wheels to me. Theres no front spoilers etc.

Why then did the people who now love his car complain how ugly the MY01 was back 3 months ago, and now a bigger spoiler and big gold wheels change their opinions??

Strange!!!!! Maybe the shock of seeing something different was the reason back then do you think? As a comparison heres my (albeit dirty car) next to some others:

My cars loosened up considerably now - 3200 miles on the clock. I love it to bits - im really glad i got one. Just need a bit of Pete Croney majic to make it a bit more rapid!!

So far i havent had any of the hesitation problems that some owners of recent cars have had. Anyone got any other pics of their MY01s?

Jza

[This message has been edited by Jza (edited 25 April 2001).]
Old 25 April 2001, 04:19 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Vmax, Actually i think he must have done something 2 it for it to pull like it did past me.

I'll post a pic up of mine just as soon as it stops dam ringing. How do u post up pics?

Scrappy..