Sponsored by:

Clutch judders to conclusion

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2001, 09:26 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys.

I posted a few weeks back about clutch judder on my MY99 wagon and that my local dealer wanted it in. The message prompted quite a few views/opinions/comments from fellow Scoobyites with similar problems.

Finally got dates sorted - goes in Monday. What surprised me is that they said they'd need if for a week. Apparently they have to strip it down - and then ring Subaru with a description. Subaru would then authorise (or not) whatever was needed. And that all takes time.

Seems rather a drawn out process... but apparently I'm not the first in this neck of the woods. Jordans of Hull said they've just had another Scooby in for treatment, so I'm not alone in East Yorks.

I'll post the results.

David Blows
Old 24 April 2001, 09:55 PM
scoobs
Scooby Regular

David

Spoke to my Dealer today about clutchjudder.. They told me that they have to strip the clutch down and look at the clutch plate.. Then report to Subaru on the condition of it. If it is BLUE then Subaru will assume that you have miss treated the clutch E.G. too many fast launches,, drag stips etc. and may stop the claim.

Scoobs
Old 25 April 2001, 09:15 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

I fear your dealer is talking rubbish!!

My car (MY00) had a new clutch fitted last week at Cheam Motors because of clutch judder and there was no mention of this. Although they couldn't reproduce it there they offered to change the clutch without me even having to ask once I told them about the clutch Judder.. I took the car in at 8:30 AM and picked it up the same day at 5:00 PM.
Old 25 April 2001, 09:29 AM
DJB
Scooby Regular

I think that the blue colour is actually present on the flywheel and indicates over heating. Presumably the over heating then causes warping of the flywheel and this is in fact what causes the judder. My MY98 had its clutch and flywheel replaced about 4 weeks ago (2.5 years old, 38000 miles at the time). The clutch was nearly worn out but the flywheel had signs of heat damage (I saw this myself). The dealer did not think that a warranty claim would succeed; fortunately it did. The new clutch is perfect.

D.