Sponsored by:

Anyone in the police on here?

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2013, 07:49 PM
Moz_Rb5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone in the police on here?

Seriously considering a career in the Police, just wanted to know the Pros and Cons from an officers point of view, and if there's any tips for the recruitment process.
Old 08 March 2013, 08:25 PM
BAD BOY V
Scooby Regular

hello mate I don't know whats in like in Wales but in London they're not recruiting at all at the moment, i don't work for the police, but i work within the custodial services dealing with foreign national ex prisoners, what are you currently doing at the moment?
Old 08 March 2013, 08:33 PM
Moz_Rb5
Scooby Regular

I'm in the Army at the moment have been for the last 13 years, the local Police (Dyfed / Powys) were recruiting last december, I'd imagine they just recruit when they need new bods rather than a set time every year?

We've been told my camp is closing in 2018 and looks like I could be out in around 12 months anyway so looking for another walk in life.

The Police has always interested me as it's so diverse each day, don't get me wrong it will be a little "hot fuzz" being in south west wales but still interesting no doubt.
Old 08 March 2013, 08:42 PM
BAD BOY V
Scooby Regular

well i've always been interested in doing the police, but been to lazy to apply when i got a job working within custodial care, which will be like a stepping stone into the police if they recruit again, but you've already got the fitness part covered, i've got a mate who works in the police and he loves it. Maybe you could apply and try the special constable part which is voluntary before actually getting into, theres more than just patrolling the streets, incident reports, going to court to give evidence, also they've slashed the police salary aswell, so thats to bare in mind, but i think you'll be ok going from the army into the police, if you were working as a shop assistant then it'll be an eye opener,
Old 08 March 2013, 09:01 PM
staccato
Scooby Regular

My brother is a police officer for Kent police. Pro's would be no qualifications as such needed to get in (i.e. no university/college fees etc - I'm a teacher and went to uni. Finished my course with about 35k of debt. He became a PC straight from school after doing a couple of jobs as a floorer and sports shop assistant) free gym access, overtime for every minute you work past your shift and a reasonable salary that increases automatically every year.

Cons - unsociable hours (girlfriend is never pleased when he has a shift on xmas day/new years day/her birthday) paperwork, court appearances even on days off if that's what's required, relatives constantly asking for legal advice, people talking about 'your lot' when they've been in trouble with the law, and lastly is the constant worry of ever being caught speeding as it could result in dismissal or demotion - a particular nuisance when you're so into cars

Last edited by staccato; 08 March 2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08 March 2013, 09:44 PM
mazmike
BANNED

if you can f@ck your own friends over and **** sheep it will be fine
Old 08 March 2013, 09:52 PM
Octoposse
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Moz_Rb5
I'm in the Army at the moment have been for the last 13 years, the local Police (Dyfed / Powys) were recruiting last december, I'd imagine they just recruit when they need new bods rather than a set time every year?

We've been told my camp is closing in 2018 and looks like I could be out in around 12 months anyway so looking for another walk in life.

The Police has always interested me as it's so diverse each day, don't get me wrong it will be a little "hot fuzz" being in south west wales but still interesting no doubt.
Could be worth hanging on in the Army if you can . . . there's going to be negligible Police recruiting for a few more years due to budget issues. You'll be 31/32-ish so no rush? Even those forces recruiting now tend to be looking at waiting lists rather than fresh candidates.

Does the Army still do 'career change' courses? Policing certainly used to something they would prepare you for. I believe there is a new City & Guilds Level Certificate of Knowledge of Policing . . . well worth seeing if they can help you towards one of those. Or do it off your own bat. Some universities are offering Foundation Degrees in Policing if that's for you.

Last edited by Octoposse; 08 March 2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08 March 2013, 09:52 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recomend a year or two as a special constabul
Really life skills and you learn and to see the other side of society and working with other police officers gives you great experience

It taught me a lot as I originally wanted to be a police man in my early twenties but my career was taking off and I just didn't want to take the leap

I would recomend the specials to anyone
Old 08 March 2013, 09:55 PM
dyoung
Scooby Regular

Default hi

I always wanted to be a policeman and applied ,but they found out my mam and dad were married
Old 08 March 2013, 09:56 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a few colleagues in the old bill, and whilst some forces do look favourably on ex-military most forces are now offering permanent positions only to Special's who make the grade and express an interest. Worth tapping up the local recruitment guys, I did it when the RAF offered me compulsary redundancy about 15-years ago and not many forces were openly recruiting then

I managed to stay in though so I never quite finished the selection process.
Old 08 March 2013, 10:09 PM
nobafett
Scooby Regular

I've been in the Police now for over 12 years. I'm still front line and still enjoy it. I joined after leaving the army having met my current wife whilst training at Sandhurst.
Since the government cuts two years ago, numbers have taken a nose dive as has morale. It's picking up a little now and they are looking to recruit in the near future (Devon and Cornwall).
For me, it's the not knowing what I'm going to be doing thing that I like. It might be some lunatic that wants to smash my face in, someone that wants to stick a knife in me or a high speed pursuit, either way it's brilliant fun. However, the downside can be really boring jobs like constant petty shopliftings, ridiculous neighbourhood disputes and the paperwork, although that's not as bad as everyone makes out.
The pays ok and I enjoy shift work. Also, my colleagues are my best mates, so work can be a right laugh.
Old 08 March 2013, 10:09 PM
mazmike
BANNED

Originally Posted by dyoung
I always wanted to be a policeman and applied ,but they found out my mam and dad were married
Old 08 March 2013, 10:11 PM
nobafett
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add, the driver training is top notch. They teach you to drive really fast, really safely.
Old 08 March 2013, 10:47 PM
lgtuk
Scooby Regular

I take it your at brawdy brks then right next to my home town best advice don't settle there me and my bro both moved away after we realised it's a **** area for civi jobs and poorly paid 14 years later best thing I ever did lol.

Don't know what rank you are in the army but if your cpl or above and want some custodial experience mps are crying out for transfers.....
Old 08 March 2013, 11:43 PM
V9 STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mazmike
if you can f@ck your own friends over and **** sheep it will be fine
Wondered how long it would be before some knuckle-dragging retard posted something like this.
Old 08 March 2013, 11:49 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding
I would recomend a year or two as a special constabul
Really life skills and you learn and to see the other side of society and working with other police officers gives you great experience

It taught me a lot as I originally wanted to be a police man in my early twenties but my career was taking off and I just didn't want to take the leap

I would recomend the specials to anyone
This.

My best mate is in his 2nd year studying social sciences or something similar at university and enquired 7-8 months ago about becoming a special. He's now doing the training including statements and physical deterrents etc. Really good stuff and was around his gaff tonight seeing his gear. Ok he's voluntary but when he finishes his degree his aim is obviously salaried and then CID.

Fair play to him as he is certified bi-polar and slightly autistic (his memory is absolutely phenomenal - he astounds me with the detail he can remember which is a brilliant commodity).
Old 08 March 2013, 11:50 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

3crashes in 3 months 2 on barnhenge and one in bideford, not my opinion of safe driving, taking out members of the public, 1st one was a renault male driver, 2nd one young woman with daughter in car, 3rd was a woman in bideford taken out pulling out of a junction,

Last edited by madscoob; 08 March 2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09 March 2013, 12:07 AM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

I can see where this thread is going to go! Not that I'll be surprised!

Back to the point...

To the OP if you want some advice PM me and ill do my best.
Old 09 March 2013, 12:45 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Note if you are from the army you will not get a position in arm response or any role like that as you are trained to kill and police won't allow that as they see it as a risk, depends what position you want in police.
My bro in law looked into this and found out, he's now looking into going into prison response teams when inmates get out of hand.
Old 09 March 2013, 07:28 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Pros are you get to throw your weight around like you had done to you in school,,,,,cons are everyone will lose respect for you as you will act like a **** to everyone you possibly can as you will think your better than them in every way ,,,,,

Police now a days are glorified tax collectors and only really interested in how there paperwork looks at the end of there shift not how many proper criminals they might have put away or life they may have saved,,,,gone are the days of the old bobby that would help your nan out and clip the local yobs round the ear to keep them in check ,,,now there more interested in there quota and how many bodies they have arrested , there not worried what for and will go for the easy option every time rarther than do some proper police work

The police have never helped me with anything and at best have just made normal life hard ,,,,I'm more likely to ring my local butcher as he will send round pigs a lot quicker than ringing 999 and asking for there help
Old 09 March 2013, 07:47 AM
nobafett
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Note if you are from the army you will not get a position in arm response or any role like that as you are trained to kill and police won't allow that as they see it as a risk, depends what position you want in police.
My bro in law looked into this and found out, he's now looking into going into prison response teams when inmates get out of hand.
Sorry this is wrong. Plenty of my colleagues who are armed response are ex-military who have seen action in the Gulf Wars and Falklands.
Old 09 March 2013, 07:51 AM
nobafett
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madscoob
3crashes in 3 months 2 on barnhenge and one in bideford, not my opinion of safe driving, taking out members of the public, 1st one was a renault male driver, 2nd one young woman with daughter in car, 3rd was a woman in bideford taken out pulling out of a junction,
Yeah, fair point. However, you have to realise that with response driving the chances of crashing increase tenfold. Without the training there would be far far more crashes, but I will admit that there are always people who push it to far and drive too fast.
When I get in a car as a passenger with a normal civilian driver, I'm always amazed at how little observation they have of the road and people around them, it can be quite scary.
Old 09 March 2013, 08:04 AM
nobafett
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
Pros are you get to throw your weight around like you had done to you in school,,,,,cons are everyone will lose respect for you as you will act like a **** to everyone you possibly can as you will think your better than them in every way ,,,,,

Police now a days are glorified tax collectors and only really interested in how there paperwork looks at the end of there shift not how many proper criminals they might have put away or life they may have saved,,,,gone are the days of the old bobby that would help your nan out and clip the local yobs round the ear to keep them in check ,,,now there more interested in there quota and how many bodies they have arrested , there not worried what for and will go for the easy option every time rarther than do some proper police work

The police have never helped me with anything and at best have just made normal life hard ,,,,I'm more likely to ring my local butcher as he will send round pigs a lot quicker than ringing 999 and asking for there help

It comments like this that really hack me off and make you look like a tool! I became a Police Officer as when I left the Army I wanted a similar sort of job, not because I was bullied at school or vice versa.
I can genuinely say that I love nothing more than locking up the proper criminals as you call them. I couldn't give a monkeys about my stats or paperwork and neither could my supervisors. I'll always do my best to help the decent members of society but very often, our hands are tied my crazy policies and bureaucracy. The amount of evidence needed nowadays just to charge someone to court has increased massively over the last ten years and getting someone convicted at court is even harder still.
Trust me, I find it hugely frustrating knowing that some people on our streets are committing crime everyday, but the courts refuse to lock them up due to governments quotas etc.
Most people also have a hugely inflated idea of how many police are actually out there, since the government cut budgets we frequently parade 4 response officers for a city with 150k population. How can we possibly offer a top service with so few staff? We can barely cope with the jobs coming in over the radio!!
Old 09 March 2013, 08:25 AM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nobafett
It comments like this that really hack me off and make you look like a tool! I became a Police Officer as when I left the Army I wanted a similar sort of job, not because I was bullied at school or vice versa.
I can genuinely say that I love nothing more than locking up the proper criminals as you call them. I couldn't give a monkeys about my stats or paperwork and neither could my supervisors. I'll always do my best to help the decent members of society but very often, our hands are tied my crazy policies and bureaucracy. The amount of evidence needed nowadays just to charge someone to court has increased massively over the last ten years and getting someone convicted at court is even harder still.
Trust me, I find it hugely frustrating knowing that some people on our streets are committing crime everyday, but the courts refuse to lock them up due to governments quotas etc.
Most people also have a hugely inflated idea of how many police are actually out there, since the government cut budgets we frequently parade 4 response officers for a city with 150k population. How can we possibly offer a top service with so few staff? We can barely cope with the jobs coming in over the radio!!
This!
Old 09 March 2013, 08:27 AM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46

Yawn! Typical comments from someone that quite clearly has absolutely no idea what so ever. Keep it to yourself pal, because you sound like someone that needs a bit of growing up to do.
Old 09 March 2013, 08:41 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by irondrew
Yawn! Typical comments from someone that quite clearly has absolutely no idea what so ever. Keep it to yourself pal, because you sound like someone that needs a bit of growing up to do.

I thought that too.
Old 09 March 2013, 08:44 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by irondrew
Yea yea ,,,,tell you what you keep it to yourself and ill speak my views as there mine to speak ,,,,,typical police attitude all high and mighty and do what I say
Old 09 March 2013, 08:47 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nobafett

Should of stayed in the army as at least you would have more respect from normal everyday people
Old 09 March 2013, 08:52 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dyoung

Yeah they have to be brother and sister for you to get in
Old 09 March 2013, 09:46 AM
mazmike
BANNED

my daughter has never been in trouble.she is 22 goes to church walks the streets with a group of people at night on fri/sat nights helping people get home safe in w-s-m .goes camping with underprivileged kids .and her job is looking after the elderly so this tells you the sort of person she is .
on the m4 last week she broke down on her 500cc bike ,rang me to pick her up i live in bristol .by the time i got to chipenham which is about 30 mins drive the police had stop and fined her of not displaying her bike tax .which must had been stolen because it was taxed .
OK PIG LOVER EXPLAIN THIS.WITH OUT CONFERRING AND MAKING THINGS UP

Quick Reply: Anyone in the police on here?