Sponsored by:

old scoobies v modern day cars

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2013, 11:30 AM
kezwaldo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old scoobies v modern day cars

after doing a good few thousand miles i have come to to realise .......my scoobie isnt that quick to the modern day car any more especially on motorways and bypasses , i got totally left by a focus RS yesterday yes i know its 300bhp and im driving a near stock uk 2000 turbo...prob no more than 220bhp but its hard enough shaking civic type rs off nowadays lol also have struggled vs the megane 225 ..........well i suppose all the cars above are alot newer and what ever these manufactures had to offer in 1999 wouldnt of touched my car.......so looks like the remap is coming...need at least 260bhp in these cars nowadays to see off some of these modern cars even the new diesel audis and bmws are all over me lol
Old 01 March 2013, 11:33 AM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Uk Turbo 2000's will always struggle in standard form against new machines most new diesels have more torque.
Old 01 March 2013, 11:36 AM
kezwaldo
Scooby Regular

yeah ive noticed ....altho id slaughter them 0-60 and around a corner in most cases ........hmm love this car but might be looking toward an sti before to long
Old 01 March 2013, 11:39 AM
kezwaldo
Scooby Regular

hmmm theres a prodribve plug straight in ecu on ebay to fit my99 uk giving prob another 20bhp
Old 01 March 2013, 11:45 AM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kezwaldo
hmmm theres a prodribve plug straight in ecu on ebay to fit my99 uk giving prob another 20bhp
with remap and supporting mods yeah
Old 01 March 2013, 12:03 PM
kezwaldo
Scooby Regular

yeah i catch ur drift need fuel pump,decat etc ,,,,,,,,,,, i left my golf vr6 which is 175bhp to buy my dream car which is a subaru at least if i bump into my old car i can hand it its ****
Old 01 March 2013, 12:07 PM
Ash170990
Scooby Regular

I came from a Focus RS with around 320bhp, to an Sti Type R to say it was a shock would be an understatement, i had a thread on here askign if anyone else was slightly disapointed with how it performs after the hype the car gets but no one seemed to agree, but ive seen 4 or 5 threads now saying the same thing since mine haha so i guess there are others....

Its just the same as RS turbos and standard cossies now though, at the end of the day its an old car, times have moved on and things are faster.... but thats what mods are for! lol
Old 01 March 2013, 12:11 PM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

after doing a good few thousand miles i have come to to realise .......my scoobie isnt that quick to the modern day car any more especially on motorways and bypasses , i got totally left by a focus RS yesterday yes i know its 300bhp and im driving a near stock uk 2000 turbo...prob no more than 220bhp but its hard enough shaking civic type rs off nowadays lol also have struggled vs the megane 225 ..........well i suppose all the cars above are alot newer and what ever these manufactures had to offer in 1999 wouldnt of touched my car.......so looks like the remap is coming...need at least 260bhp in these cars nowadays to see off some of these modern cars even the new diesel audis and bmws are all over me lol
Don't forget though mate, Whilst newer cars have more power/torque, they tend to carry a few hundred extra Kgs.

Imprezas arent really designed for straight line speed though, show the newer cars a twisty back road, and you might be surprised
Old 01 March 2013, 12:14 PM
Ash170990
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jazzy Jefferson
Don't forget though mate, Whilst newer cars have more power/torque, they tend to carry a few hundred extra Kgs.

Imprezas arent really designed for straight line speed though, show the newer cars a twisty back road, and you might be surprised
I think your underestimating some of them.... Renaultsport clio 200, i dont think theres much that would keep up with one of those round the twisties, i know i struggles in my old car and i had an extra 120bhpish and that wasnt a slouch round the bends despite its weight... scooby will be quicker from 0-60 than most new cars though down to its 4wd....
Old 01 March 2013, 12:19 PM
DrDiesel
Scooby Regular

Fair point, but you need to consider the full package.

As said above, modern cars are much heavier, with un-even weight distribution, and plenty of software to manage traction, power, cornering, stopping etc. They take so much away from the driver.

What Subaru, Mitsubishi & Nissan did all those years ago was phenomenal, and I think they still hold their own. Its an event for me, every time I get behind the wheel of my STi.

e.g. have you hear how quiet the MP4-12C is? or the new M5? Pathetic!

Mod it & enjoy it mate.
Old 01 March 2013, 12:25 PM
kezwaldo
Scooby Regular

i have gone past a 200 clio my friend owns one not as quick as scoobie even in straight line and also in country roads .....id also be surprised to see one still in good working order after 13 years........scoobie would leave a clio on a good back road ..ive owned williams clios and there not even close to an old scoobies handling maybe a 200rs clio is better but not so muc better to beat a well set up scoobie
Old 01 March 2013, 12:35 PM
kad 16v
Scooby Regular

I used to have a turbo 2000 and it was a nippy car, had the usual stage one stuff

Sports cat, afterburner exhaust system, afterburner panel filter, EcuTek remap to standard ECU that ran at 269 bhp, didn't update the fuel pump but if I'd have kept it I've had stuck a HRC performance pump in there and got Bob Rawle to remap it to make run and feel that little better over the rolling road map it had in it.

P.S I think ash may be on about the new clio http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/roadcars/clio200/ not a 13year old one.

Last edited by kad 16v; 01 March 2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01 March 2013, 12:39 PM
ace1981
Scooby Regular

i have gone past a 200 clio my friend owns one not as quick as scoobie even in straight line and also in country roads .....id also be surprised to see one still in good working order after 13 years........scoobie would leave a clio on a good back road ..ive owned williams clios and there not even close to an old scoobies handling maybe a 200rs clio is better but not so muc better to beat a well set up scoobie
The phrase "well set up" is the key - you have discovered the hard way that they aren't as blindingly fast as you might expect. If your motor is anything like mine (and remember I went to look at yours before you bought it), it'll have the original anti roll bars, drop links, bushes, geometry set-up, etc.

Uprate those and the difference will be instantly noticeable on a bendy B-road. It's probably a bad idea to go chasing power figures if you're still on a mechanical set up that is 14 years old.

I've got a MY00 UK turbo; I'll be getting new ARBs, bushes, drop links and anti lift kit in before I start on power figures. I'll be much happier knowing that the car is a good solid base to handle extra power.
Old 01 March 2013, 12:42 PM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ash170990
I think your underestimating some of them.... Renaultsport clio 200, i dont think theres much that would keep up with one of those round the twisties, i know i struggles in my old car and i had an extra 120bhpish and that wasnt a slouch round the bends despite its weight... scooby will be quicker from 0-60 than most new cars though down to its 4wd....
I think you are underestimating an impreza and a good driver... I find its usually the driver that makes the difference, not the car. Also don't forget, 0-60, on a back road, is pretty much all that happens, before you have to brake/slow for the next corner. If you find yourself doing 100mph+ then your road isn't twisty enough

If one is struggling to out run civic type-r and similar on the back roads, you aren't trying hard enough. I used to own a CTR, and my turbo 2000 is faster. It just is.

In a straight line... anyone can go fast.

Last edited by Jazzy Jefferson; 01 March 2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01 March 2013, 12:47 PM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ace1981
The phrase "well set up" is the key

I've got a MY00 UK turbo; I'll be getting new ARBs, bushes, drop links and anti lift kit in before I start on power figures. I'll be much happier knowing that the car is a good solid base to handle extra power.
Exactly. a well set up car, with a decent driver wont need a million horsepower and twice as much torque.
Old 01 March 2013, 12:47 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

Technology moves on...look at the old Ferrari’s...328, 348, 355

Supercars in there day...now you can buy a ford focus that is faster...I still know what I would rather drive though...

Even my STi would struggle against modern stuff...but as someone has already said...the Impreza is a joy to drive, no electronics to save you etc...The impreza has character that a lot of the newer cars just don't have.

I guess the only real shame of it all is that whilst the other manufactures have been playing catch up with Subaru for the past 10 years...Subaru haven't been pushing the boundaries and have let all the others players match or exceed them...Still using ford as an example...the mk1 focus RS was around 220BHP when the STi was 300BHP now the FRS is 300BHP...Subaru in the same time...standard STi has got 320BHP…

But its not just the engine tech…modern chassis are getting stiffer and stiffer, clever electronic diffs, etc it all adds up…

Also tuning cars has now become a lot more accessible...I know some many people with diesel tuning boxes fitted or a remap done etc so you never quite know what you are coming up against...

For me...I’ll stick with the Impreza...and to hell with it if other cars are faster.
Old 01 March 2013, 12:48 PM
kezwaldo
Scooby Regular

i was talking about the new clio they aint so fast them silly green cars with a roof carbon spoiler and a rs 200 badge not soo quick at all
Old 01 March 2013, 12:51 PM
kezwaldo
Scooby Regular

subaru need to pull there finger out ,,,and make something fresh and go back to the big spoilers and crazy body styles and bring a 400 bhp standard new impreza monster to the plate not this hatchback **** as of late
Old 01 March 2013, 12:59 PM
Ash170990
Scooby Regular

Exactly. a well set up car, with a decent driver wont need a million horsepower and twice as much torque.
Everyone seems to go on about a well set up impreza, but what if the other car has a decent set up to lol puts it infront again

Originally Posted by Cockney Wideboy
Technology moves on...look at the old Ferrari’s...328, 348, 355

Supercars in there day...now you can buy a ford focus that is faster...I still know what I would rather drive though...

Even my STi would struggle against modern stuff...but as someone has already said...the Impreza is a joy to drive, no electronics to save you etc...The impreza has character that a lot of the newer cars just don't have.

I guess the only real shame of it all is that whilst the other manufactures have been playing catch up with Subaru for the past 10 years...Subaru haven't been pushing the boundaries and have let all the others players match or exceed them...Still using ford as an example...the mk1 focus RS was around 220BHP when the STi was 300BHP now the FRS is 300BHP...Subaru in the same time...standard STi has got 320BHP…

But its not just the engine tech…modern chassis are getting stiffer and stiffer, clever electronic diffs, etc it all adds up…

Also tuning cars has now become a lot more accessible...I know some many people with diesel tuning boxes fitted or a remap done etc so you never quite know what you are coming up against...

For me...I’ll stick with the Impreza...and to hell with it if other cars are faster.
Good isnt it how a hot hatch like the RS gets compared to 4WD Saloon cars... shows they cant be that bad

i was talking about the new clio they aint so fast them silly green cars with a roof carbon spoiler and a rs 200 badge not soo quick at all
Round the bends the RS Clio 200 is immense... straight line there crap but bends they are brilliant...
Old 01 March 2013, 01:01 PM
Ash170990
Scooby Regular

subaru need to pull there finger out ,,,and make something fresh and go back to the big spoilers and crazy body styles and bring a 400 bhp standard new impreza monster to the plate not this hatchback **** as of late
Exactly this!

Everybody expects an impreza to be mind bogling... they need to do something like the GTR... because at the mo even hot hatches can keep up with their current/recent impreza's.....
Old 01 March 2013, 01:04 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

A UK turbo in standard form is far from quick, not surprised your struggling to keep up with modern day cars.
Throw a grand at it and it'll be completely transformed.
Old 01 March 2013, 01:07 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The new breed of hot hatches and diesels are bloody quick once they get moving, and the likes of the clio 197 do handle really well, a mate of mine out here in croatia has a 4/5yr old one and he can drive it too, but i still handed him his a$$ in my STI Type r running on the low boost 95 ron 300bhp map on my simtec, it really is all about the set up and the driver. well balanced car with good brakes and useable power will trounce a poorly set up more powerfull car, driver dependant of course.

One day we went to watch local drag racing he was with me in the car when i went for an over take, he could see a car coming and was sighting for me as i was blind till i got on the centre line (driving on the right in a right hand drive) he was like no, no, no, then i saw there was plenty of room and floored it, he was thrown back in his seat shouting "porko boh" which means **** god,

He's now looking for an Impreza.
Old 01 March 2013, 01:16 PM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

Everyone seems to go on about a well set up impreza, but what if the other car has a decent set up to lol puts it infront again
That's a misquote. I said well set up impreza and good driver.
Of course if everything were perfectly balanced, like for like car and driver, then no one wins.

Last edited by Jazzy Jefferson; 01 March 2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01 March 2013, 01:19 PM
Ash170990
Scooby Regular

That's a misquote. I said well set up impreza and good driver.
Thats what im getting at, everyone says the scoob needs to be set up well and have a good driver to be infront of a crap driver in a new car, if both had a decent set up and decent driver my money would be on the newer car (depending on what it was ofcourse)
Old 01 March 2013, 01:32 PM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

Thats what im getting at, everyone says the scoob needs to be set up well and have a good driver to be infront of a crap driver in a new car, if both had a decent set up and decent driver my money would be on the newer car (depending on what it was ofcourse)
I believe we were talking about clios?
So a new clio vs older scoob. That is what I am/was reffering to. As someone else said 0-60, a scoob generally will be faster, no matter what scenario. On the back roads, 0-60 is fairly important. On the motorway, not at all.

Decent driver in old scoob, vs average joe driver in newer clio.
Which do you think "wins" if there is such a thing on the road (twisty one)?

It was really a reply to "underestimating a clio" Im not at all.

Last edited by Jazzy Jefferson; 01 March 2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01 March 2013, 01:36 PM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

if both had a decent set up and decent driver my money would be on the newer car (depending on what it was ofcourse)
Depends...
Old 01 March 2013, 03:04 PM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've a blobeye wrx ppp and don't think that it's slow at all... Yes 4x4 will make it quicker 0-60 that most, but it really comes alive when the roads are wet or greasy. Fwd cars with 200-300bhp will struggle to grip in those conditions and RWD cars with same sort of power are too frightened to put the power down for fear of spinning.

Say there a 2 cars, one does 30-70 in 5 seconds and the other does the same in 6 seconds. 1 second looks a fair bit on paper but in real life it's next to nothing....

I had a 200sx with 200bhp about 10 years ago and came up behind a Saxo Vts. We came off a roundabout, round a bend and onto a dual carriageway and as it was slightly greasy he gained so much time round the bend as he simply floored it whereas I had to be a little more careful that I spent most of the dual carriageway gaining what I had lost on the first slippery bend.

Each car whether fwd, rwd or 4x4 has its strengths and weaknesses. You have to play to them!!!
Old 01 March 2013, 03:42 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have a stock turbo 2000.
drive a proper impreza and report back
Old 01 March 2013, 03:48 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

My car is around 15 years old and only has 220bhp I can't understand why new cars with 300bhp are faster! That's no real surprise is it?
Solution?
Sell it or sort it. Simples!
Old 01 March 2013, 03:52 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue by You
My car is around 15 years old and only has 220bhp I can't understand why new cars with 300bhp are faster! That's no real surprise is it?
Solution?
Sell it or sort it. Simples!
+1
A turbo 2000 is an impreza....................just, hardly going to keep up with modern hatches given it was only 220bhp 15 years ago.

Quick Reply: old scoobies v modern day cars