Caught twice in 1 day

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2013, 08:37 AM
CHUCKblue
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caught twice in 1 day

Hi folks,

I have been an idiot and been caught speeding twice in 1 day.

First time I was on a country road braking on the way into temporary road works and got done doing 43 in a 30. I'm not really convinced he didn't point the gun at me before I entered the 30 but doubt I can really argue. 3 points and £60

The second time I was accelerating like a *** out of a 30 and was caught doing 47 in a 30 - too fast!

The second time they asked if i had any points on my license and I said "no". I didn't feel I was lying because they weren't on my license yet. I ended up with 3 points and another £60. It looks like it has been changed from 0 points and £30 fine. Could this be because I said I had no points?

I assume I just pay them both and slow down?

Cheers

Dan
Old 26 February 2013, 09:06 AM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Bad luck dude drive slower. I lost my license 14 years ago for doing 138mph on the M18 early one morning(£600 inc cost and a 30 day ban which i thought was good considering). Only time I ever drove like a **** and haven't since but these days they do you for doing just over the limit which most do and wait in there favorite spot's on purpose just to screw us.
Old 26 February 2013, 09:33 AM
CHUCKblue
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Firez34
Bad luck dude drive slower. I lost my license 14 years ago for doing 138mph on the M18 early one morning(£600 inc cost and a 30 day ban which i thought was good considering). Only time I ever drove like a **** and haven't since but these days they do you for doing just over the limit which most do and wait in there favorite spot's on purpose just to screw us.
Thanks,

That makes me feel a bit better
Old 26 February 2013, 09:39 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Befoe the holier than thou brigade arrive I would just say chalk it up to experience and slow down a little. **** happens!
Old 26 February 2013, 09:40 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ouch, we've all done it, you live and learn or not as in your case.

I'm sure you'll pick your spots more carefully in the future.
Old 26 February 2013, 10:00 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

take it on the chin bud an save the enthusiasm for country road blasts.
Old 26 February 2013, 10:15 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

As above its quite easy to get caught coming from an NSL to a 30 road in a village etc. Just be a bit more aware in the future
Old 26 February 2013, 10:41 AM
abre
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you've not got it already and you've got a smart phone stick CameraAlert on your phone & sign up for the camera database updates at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com it's £20 for a years subscription covering 3 devices, in my view well worth it, regular updates including mobile haunts & you get a free years sub if you report a new site that gets verified...
Old 26 February 2013, 12:05 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

You think that's bad, one of our drivers has been done 4 times 2 weeks ago on the average speed cameras on A13 and will now loose his job

His defence is he has been doing it for months lol
Old 26 February 2013, 12:26 PM
DrDiesel
Scooby Regular

That is just bad luck Dan. Twice over!

Don't get me started on this topic, as its almost always the poor old law-abiding, tax-paying idiots like us who get it in the neck!

Innocent people get done for doing 36 in a 30 zone, but what happens to the criminals & certain people of no fixed abode, who drive on British roads with no Tax, no Insurance, no MOT, whose cars are rarely road-worthy. Nothing!

The 'system' is geared up to go for the easy prey - Us!

(I need to take my pills now.....)
Old 26 February 2013, 12:26 PM
Ash170990
Scooby Regular

They have recently been doing a lot of speed traps at the bottom of the road i live as its just inside the village where it turns from NSL to 30mph... they catch no end of people, but there sneaky when they do it! i thoguht they had to make themselves visable but they hide all the time! (when i say hide i mean park the car round the corner then stand wearing all black against bushes at the side of the road off the paths etc... Its a joke IMO...
Old 26 February 2013, 12:32 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got to attend a speed awareness course sometime in the next 2 months after being caught at 37 in a 30 zone, just changed from a 40 zone and I wasn't paying attention, The irony is I've been driving a scoob for 7 years and never been done in it...I got caught in 1.3d Astra Van
Old 26 February 2013, 12:38 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
I've got to attend a speed awareness course sometime in the next 2 months after being caught at 37 in a 30 zone, just changed from a 40 zone and I wasn't paying attention, The irony is I've been driving a scoob for 7 years and never been done in it...I got caught in 1.3d Astra Van
Snap!! course is 110quid!

Got flashed doing 38 in a 30 in my van.....first speeding ticket in 26 years of driving.
Old 26 February 2013, 12:43 PM
weirdfish
Scooby Regular

Firstly, slow down, especially in 30 mph zones, secondly, don't just take speeding tickets on the chin, there's a whole host of questions you can ask, anything from, " was the gun calibrated correctly with written evidence " to " has the officer been trained and are his records up to date ".
Obviously if its a fixed camera then you need to keep your eyes open and get an app or something on your smartphone.
By law there has to be signage for a mobile speed camera within a certain distance, and they have to be visible with high viz jackets on, take a pic on your phone if they're not and notify the local police centre.
Now it's been mentioned, I've heard that if you change lanes in a " average speed camera section" then it confuses the cameras and can't work out your speed, anyone care to confirm this.
Old 26 February 2013, 12:44 PM
quicker
Scooby Regular

Bad luck mate!! Here is a useful site for knowing your legal rights & what to expect etc.
http://www.pepipoo.com/
Old 26 February 2013, 12:48 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I got pulled over this morning for driving like a bit of a dick and after the PNC check on the car, the copper gave me a pretty light hearted safety lecture and let me go on my way.
TBF, I am guessing the guy had something more important to do when I blipped across his screen, but no complaints from me.
I would have given him a tip for doing his job so well, but...........
Old 26 February 2013, 12:49 PM
Ash170990
Scooby Regular

lol when i went to SCC in the old motor, the guy who runs it Rob, had just been caught speeding in a smart car.... he drives a 500BHP + FRS as his daily lol
Old 26 February 2013, 12:50 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

My sister got caught twice in one day recently, infact it was twice in about an hour.
The funny thing is it was the same bloody camera van that got her and it hadn't even moved. Thick cow.....lol....
Old 26 February 2013, 12:51 PM
STEVEBOXER
Scooby Regular

I admire your honesty, scoobys bring out the devil in us.
Keep off the loud pedal a bit more but in fareness that's just bad luck mate.
Old 26 February 2013, 01:02 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CHUCKblue
Hi folks,

First time I was on a country road braking on the way into temporary road works and got done doing 43 in a 30. I'm not really convinced he didn't point the gun at me before I entered the 30 but doubt I can really argue. 3 points and £60

The second time I was accelerating like a *** out of a 30 and was caught doing 47 in a 30 - too fast!

The second time they asked if i had any points on my license and I said "no". I didn't feel I was lying because they weren't on my license yet. I ended up with 3 points and another £60. It looks like it has been changed from 0 points and £30 fine. Could this be because I said I had no points?

Cheers

Dan

To the op

The golden rule
Don't speed in 30 & 40 zones
It's only gonna end in heartache 1 way or another
Old 26 February 2013, 01:18 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jayallen
Snap!! course is 110quid!

Got flashed doing 38 in a 30 in my van.....first speeding ticket in 26 years of driving.
Sounds familiar.... Apart from the 26 years you old timer

Ps, iTrader for Phone??
Old 26 February 2013, 01:27 PM
Scooby_Norm
Scooby Regular

Lol I love this, i've had a similar expereince, been driving the scoob for 2 1/2 years and a very enthusiastic 197 before that for 2 years, had no bother. Got caught about 6 years ago in my 75bhp C2.
Old 26 February 2013, 01:36 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Hi folks,

Was the 30 related to the temporary road works?

If it was, and I can't confirm this, I thought you couldn't get points for speeding in a temporary speed limit - a fine only. By temporary, I mean a proper red circle speed limit. If it was a "very" temporary limit for the roadworks ie black on white sign for example then they are only recommended speeds and all you can get done for are things like dangerous driving, driving without due care, etc.
Old 26 February 2013, 01:37 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by weirdfish
Firstly, slow down, especially in 30 mph zones, secondly, don't just take speeding tickets on the chin, there's a whole host of questions you can ask, anything from, " was the gun calibrated correctly with written evidence " to " has the officer been trained and are his records up to date ".
Obviously if its a fixed camera then you need to keep your eyes open and get an app or something on your smartphone.
By law there has to be signage for a mobile speed camera within a certain distance, and they have to be visible with high viz jackets on, take a pic on your phone if they're not and notify the local police centre.
Now it's been mentioned, I've heard that if you change lanes in a " average speed camera section" then it confuses the cameras and can't work out your speed, anyone care to confirm this.
There's a load of incorrect information there.

There don't need to be any camera signs.
They don't need to be visible.
They dion't need to have high viz jackets.

The average speed cameras were always capable of measuring speed across several lanes but weren't type approved for this so changing lanes used to be a get-out. The type approval has been changed and they can (and do) work out the average speed if you change lanes.

As for asking for training and calibration certificates.... If it's a fixed camera you will get a copy of the (inevitably correct) calibration certificate or will be directed to a website where you can view it. If it's a handheld unit the operators notes will say that it was checked at the start and end of the session. As operators must be trained before using the equipment the answer will be that the operator is trained.

As has been mentioned, have a look at www.pepipoo.com. They know their stuff and if there is a loophole they will help to find it, but none of what you suggested will work.

Last edited by douglasb; 26 February 2013 at 11:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 26 February 2013, 06:20 PM
SWEENEYWRX
Scooby Regular

As above mate douglasb is spot on, don't know where half of the other info comes from lol
Old 26 February 2013, 09:30 PM
Octoposse
Scooby Newbie

I ended up with 3 points and another £60. It looks like it has been changed from 0 points and £30 fine. Could this be because I said I had no points?

SP30 Fixed Penalty is always going to be £60 + 3 points. Ticket might be 'multi-purpose' and could also do other offences with different penalties. Reason they ask about existing points is that if you have 9 you can't have another FPN - has to go before a Magistrate (they'll have checked anyway).

Paying up and slowing down undoubtedly the best options!
Old 26 February 2013, 09:42 PM
mike h
Scooby Regular

Took my impreza out for a one last spin in november just before the tax ran out and got done for 37 in a 30 by a camera van just down the road from my house!
£85 and a speed awareness course, better than 3 points!

On the plus side though, I'm glad he didn't spot me with the **** end out on the roundabout.
Old 26 February 2013, 09:52 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DrDiesel
That is just bad luck Dan. Twice over!

Don't get me started on this topic, as its almost always the poor old law-abiding, tax-paying idiots like us who get it in the neck!

Innocent people get done for doing 36 in a 30 zone, but what happens to the criminals & certain people of no fixed abode, who drive on British roads with no Tax, no Insurance, no MOT, whose cars are rarely road-worthy. Nothing!

The 'system' is geared up to go for the easy prey - Us!

(I need to take my pills now.....)
Couldn't agree more, this totally infuriates me. If one's driving is clearly putting others at risk fair dinkum but for such minor tolerances it is ridiculous.

Easy prey = Easy money!

I was done recently on a dual carriageway where speed increases from 30 - 40 mph & people are sitting ducks especially if the area is unfamiliar.

All this means more finance required for hiked up insurance premiums as it is. ARGHHHHH!!!
Old 26 February 2013, 11:18 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

CHUCKblue has asked the same question on pepipoo and has been told that from the information he's given there is no realistic get-out.

The speeds are too high for a speed awareness course (SAC). The cutoff is speed limit + 10% + 9mph so 43mph is 1mph too high for that one.

To add to my previous post in case anyone searches and finds this thread in future, unless you reject the fixed penalty ticket and opt for a court trial you are not entitled to any evidence such as calibration certificates, training records, etc.. Some forces may provide these but they are not required to. More likely it marks you out as someone who has relied on advice from a mate down the pub who thinks they know what they are talking about but don't.

Just because a speed is eligible for a SAC doesn't mean that it has to be offered - it is discretionary. If your speed was eligible for an SAC and you ask for all the irrelevant things (which there is no requirement to supply) you could find yourself with 3 points more than necessary.
Old 27 February 2013, 08:01 AM
nyscooby
Scooby Regular

47 in a 30...? why offer friendly support? most 30's are due to residential safety...

This story normally ends with "the childs family are devastated"

Quick Reply: Caught twice in 1 day