Sponsored by:

New car advice.

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2013, 09:01 PM
syndrome1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car advice.

I've recently been offered a mint bog standard classic impreza type R for £4k. There's a story why it's so cheap but I'm not going into that on here. The car is genuine and only one uk owner and is low miles. It has the red top STi lump and switchy diff etc. just wondering about the reliability of them. I previously had a W reg T2000 uk spec and the head gaskets failed and the heads warped after only a months ownership so was left with a huge repair bill which sucked. I've heard that the import engines are better etc but everyone I know that's had an impreza has had major issues with them such as pistons melting, big ends failing, heads warping etc
Just wondering if anyone can offer me some advice
Old 21 February 2013, 09:06 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year/version is it? so v3 1997, v4 1998, v5 1999, v6 2000.
Old 21 February 2013, 10:26 PM
syndrome1
Scooby Regular

Think it's version 4 only had a brief look the other day, I'm having a proper look and a test drive on sat.
Old 22 February 2013, 06:21 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's been well maintained it should be okay.
Old 22 February 2013, 07:40 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Take plenty of pics whilst your there of anything you may have concerns with, or shoot a video of any unwanted noises and post back here, there are some real knowledgeable gurus here that can answer most questions you will have, give it a good test drive and listen out for unwanted noises I.E knocking shocks, whines from diff/gearbox etc, make sure you hear the car start from
Stone cold, let it get fully warm, check all the service if it has any and whilst there check all engine oil level, water etc, if its looked after then they should all be filled and not sitting on empty, check all the carpets front and rear for wet/damp patches for water ingestion and again in the boot.

As said above if the car has been looked after then you should no have any major headaches, not to say something wont happen but generally if its been looked after and you have some mechanical sympathy then the car should look after you in some respects.

Bit of a different kettle of fish I know but I got a jdm blob all standard, and Its had the wick turned up just a tad she's running 450/440 on a standard engine, granted the newage motors are known to be a much better starting point for modding and extractin power but the same rules apply, if the car was not looked after then I would be having constant problems more than likely, but i do look after it and what it needs it gets, anything you buy for the car service item wise make sure you use decent parts like tidy oils, and if sensors or other bits need replacing then your best off using oem parts and not the cheap aftermarket copies as they can cause more headaches than its worth.

These cars ain't overly cheap to run, but if you can afford to run and maintain it then you won't find much more fun for 4k I can assure you

Last edited by Infected by sti; 22 February 2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 22 February 2013, 02:23 PM
syndrome1
Scooby Regular

"These cars ain't overly cheap to run, but if you can afford to run and maintain it then you won't find much more fun for 4k I can assure you"

Lol I learned that the hard way from last time ill post my findings as and when lol
Old 24 February 2013, 02:06 PM
syndrome1
Scooby Regular

Checked it out on sat. Wants a bit of paint here n there but that's no issue. It's got 52000 miles on. 1 uk owner imported in 99 its an s reg version 4 all usual refinements standard subaru radio immaculate interior 4 potenza tyres. Mot, no tax stainless exhaust. Pulls well no nasty noises or rattles really could b a mint car with minimal effort. Oh and it's only 3750