Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2013, 10:21 PM
Stiofan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello - i want a Scooby, advice apriciated

Hello Everyone, I'm new here.

I don't know a lot about Imprezas, all i know is i need that engine noise

I am looking to buy a Scooby, i like the oldest version but i worry i won;t be able to find a good one, i HATE the bug eye version but the blob eye is growing on me.

I'm not exactly sure what if any the differences are between a "turbo", "WRX" and the "STi" versions, i assume the STi is the best but is it really worth the extra cash?

It will be my daily driver and i love cars, i have never owned a Scooby but have owned a Calibra turbo 280bhp

Any advise appreciated,

Thanks,

Stiofan
Old 29 January 2013, 10:42 PM
Spivscooby
Scooby Regular

100% worth the extra cash! If you buy a wrx u will sooner wish you had bought an sti.
How much you looking to spend ?
Old 29 January 2013, 10:45 PM
Stiofan
Scooby Regular

What's the major differences ?

I won't know my budget until the end of the week, hoping I can get one under 4k?
Old 29 January 2013, 10:53 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

For that budget, you won't get a sti unless it's a classic, otherwise a newage wrx will be had for your budget
Old 29 January 2013, 10:57 PM
Locke1990
Scooby Regular

How old are you, if you can insure an sti save and get one but I can only get insured on a wrx at mo so thats what ive had it is mapped to 265bhp but will be increasing it to 300 till i can insure a blob eye prodrive sti
Old 29 January 2013, 10:58 PM
Stiofan
Scooby Regular

I would not mind a classic version, as long as I'm not going to have too many problems with it.

What is the minimum for a blob eye STi?

Stiofan
Old 29 January 2013, 11:01 PM
Stiofan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Locke1990
How old are you, if you can insure an sti save and get one but I can only get insured on a wrx at mo so thats what ive had it is mapped to 265bhp but will be increasing it to 300 till i can insure a blob eye prodrive sti
28 (14 twice), 9 years no claims...
Old 29 January 2013, 11:01 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

£5k will see a newage STI (2001+), and to be honest you can get a blobeye for the that, re daily driver I would go blobeye. 6 speed gearbox, brembo, semi forged internals, Nice interior, better exterior too, all round better spec than a WRX.

Dont bother with non turbo's.

Rob
Old 29 January 2013, 11:08 PM
Stiofan
Scooby Regular

Hmm I might have to save for a bit longer and get a STi blob eye...
How much should I expect to pay for a classic STi?
Old 29 January 2013, 11:12 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stiofan
Hmm I might have to save for a bit longer and get a STi blob eye...
How much should I expect to pay for a classic STi?
How long is a piece of string?

Any thing from £500.........

Its a mine field, I mean what do you require from the car?
Old 29 January 2013, 11:15 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Is tax and servicing costs an issue for you?
Do you need 2 or 4 doors?
How many miles will you do a week or year?
All weather use?
Will it see track days?
Are you likely to modify the car like 99% of all Scoobynetters?
Are you likely to change the car soon (like me, get bored lol)?
How quickly can you save £?

It goes on......

Rob
Old 29 January 2013, 11:25 PM
Stiofan
Scooby Regular

Costs are not an issue, can save quickly...
It won't seek much of a track, maybe once or twice a year, I drive cars hard.

The plan is to have it for a couple of years then get something businessie like a 5 series BMW

I'm not looking for a project, would like it to have the basics mods done but I can have them done myself if the right car comes up.

TBH I prefer the classic style but don't want it to be in the garage half the time being fixed...
Old 29 January 2013, 11:54 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Costs are not an issue, can save quickly...
It won't seek much of a track, maybe once or twice a year, I drive cars hard.

The plan is to have it for a couple of years then get something businessie like a 5 series BMW

I'm not looking for a project, would like it to have the basics mods done but I can have them done myself if the right car comes up.

TBH I prefer the classic style but don't want it to be in the garage half the time being fixed...
Someone else will soon be along with a better summary, but for me a classic is now anything around 15 years old now. Get a late classic as they got better. From reading up (not experience) brakes are shat on a standard classic, rust is prone on some versions such as untreated JDMs, 5 speed boxes are a weak point for good power, the interior is very dated, and the engines are not forged at all. Good points, lighter than a new age car, more rugged in terms if power and handling out of the box. Can't comment further as I simply just dont know having owned almost 10 new age imprezas.

Rob

Last edited by Rob Day; 29 January 2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 30 January 2013, 12:00 AM
Stiofan
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help Rob!
Old 30 January 2013, 12:13 AM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

When I got my blobeye (PPP) I didn't think it drove any different to my year 2000 classic
Not sure which I prefer, do like this one as it has PPP and leather and its blue but a year 2000 classic im mica blue, hmmm dunno

If you can find a 1 owner classic with decent miles for around 2500 I think id go for that
but! if you can get a sti for 5k might be worth a go
prefer my standard one owners myself
Old 30 January 2013, 05:25 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Classics are great if you can find a good one and your not doing loads of miles, and reasonably handy with spanners then they are cheap and easy to maintain.

If your doing lots of miles and drive hard then you really want a newage STI, half decent Bug eyes are going for around £5k a nice Blob STI is going to cost around £7k, and a well sorted Classic STI will be circa £4k and upwards.

If you want a Classic STI and plan on giving it a hard time, then you want one with a 6 speed conversion and a forged engine that someone has spent £10k on, otherwise a certain amount of mechanical sympathy is required, best to keep it around the 320bhp mark to give it the best chance of survival, but even then there are no guarantees.

Best advice i can give is, do lots of research and get to know subarus before you take the plunge as mistakes are costly, if you see a car your interested in post a link on here and we will give you the thumbs up or down.
Old 30 January 2013, 06:24 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont buy it from

keighley trade centre or jimmyinrugby.............
Old 30 January 2013, 06:36 AM
shaunus1981
Scooby Regular

Hi there mate I have my classic for sale on here modified to 310bhp covered 84k and only 2 owners in mint condition drop me a pm if you want more details shaun
Old 30 January 2013, 10:23 AM
Stiofan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Classics are great if you can find a good one and your not doing loads of miles, and reasonably handy with spanners then they are cheap and easy to maintain.

If your doing lots of miles and drive hard then you really want a newage STI, half decent Bug eyes are going for around £5k a nice Blob STI is going to cost around £7k, and a well sorted Classic STI will be circa £4k and upwards.

If you want a Classic STI and plan on giving it a hard time, then you want one with a 6 speed conversion and a forged engine that someone has spent £10k on, otherwise a certain amount of mechanical sympathy is required, best to keep it around the 320bhp mark to give it the best chance of survival, but even then there are no guarantees.

Best advice i can give is, do lots of research and get to know subarus before you take the plunge as mistakes are costly, if you see a car your interested in post a link on here and we will give you the thumbs up or down.
Yeah i am good with a spanner, i can't stand the bug eye's i would never buy one ever.

i was looking at this one, i would appreciate any advice about it, it all looks good to me but i'm new to impreza's
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1500?logcode=p

Stiofan
Old 30 January 2013, 10:52 AM
craigybaby
Scooby Regular

Bugs aint that bad mate yes they are to a certain taste but they can be made to look really nice cars search for Frayz's on here a stunning bug imo but I am biased lol good luck with your search mate and happy motoring I'm sure u will have many question once you have purchased your car you will be in good hands on here just remember to use the search function first
Old 30 January 2013, 06:02 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah i am good with a spanner, i can't stand the bug eye's i would never buy one ever.

i was looking at this one, i would appreciate any advice about it, it all looks good to me but i'm new to impreza's
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1500?logcode=p

Stiofan
Looks nice enough, first thing i'd want to know is who did the forged rebuild and who mapped it, with proof not a load of waffle, reason i say that is V4 doesn't come with a closed deck block and it will have needed to be mapped for the front mount intercooler, if it hasn't walk away.
Old 30 January 2013, 07:23 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Looks nice enough, first thing i'd want to know is who did the forged rebuild and who mapped it, with proof not a load of waffle, reason i say that is V4 doesn't come with a closed deck block and it will have needed to be mapped for the front mount intercooler, if it hasn't walk away.
And the 18G

The seats in it are nasty.
Old 03 February 2013, 07:16 PM
Stiofan
Scooby Regular

Any advice on this one,my only concer is the guy said the turbo has been changed but he does not know how many miles are on it.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...ry-item-full-2

I'm stuck, I can afford this now, or save for a few weeks and buy a 2003/4 STi, I prefer the old looks but don't want breakdowns ever week etc....

Stiofan
Old 03 February 2013, 07:27 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't buy anything from Gumtree, to many scamists, however I'm sure there are some genuine sellers.

Can you not test drive some friends or local members cars, that may give you the biggest choice maker.

A good classic can be had cheap enough then great, but cheap ones usually need everything doing, or have been butchered by a Halfords wannabe mechanic.

Rob
Old 03 February 2013, 07:41 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Locke1990
Thing is how much did your insurer ramp your premium up by when you told them it was remapped for more power?
Old 03 February 2013, 07:49 PM
Locke1990
Scooby Regular

Extra 60 quid for delaring map
Old 03 February 2013, 09:25 PM
Stiofan
Scooby Regular

Car seems genuine but he did dodge my question about the turbo, what's the average mileage for a scooby turbo to **** up? When I had vauxhall turbos it was said 70k and 72k my turbo went...

I got a quote of 650 for a 2003 STi with mods from the head elephant...

I am known to be hard on engines (killed about 6 ) I am assuming a blob eye STi engine will be more durable than a non STi?
Old 03 February 2013, 09:51 PM
Stiofan
Scooby Regular

Ok that one is now sold, I guess I wait and get a blob STi...
Old 03 February 2013, 10:54 PM
JC-R
Scooby Regular

My opinion is , Buy a type r , I bought a mint one last oct and i am so glad i did ! You get the DCCD transmision so you can put the power to the back wheels , which is great fun, They weigh not much over a ton , they shift in standard form and are really amazing fun to drive. Mine is sonic blue , fully forged by rcm , 2.1 stroker kit, front mount intercooler , simtek ecu with antilag and launch controll, 380 bhp Ive had some 400 bhp newage scooby's and a 400 bhp evo x , But never a classic. this type r i have now would woop them in a straight line, I just cannot get over how quick it is 0-60 in 3.5 sec 60-100 in 3.5 sec . I also have a Nissan GT-R 2009 and my type r is quicker to 100! I paid £7k for mine and i absolutely love it. Yeah they feel oldskool, more tini and lighter that the newage scooby's but that just adds to the experience ! especially the dccd gearbox ! im sure you could pick up a standard one in vgc for about £4k - £5k and im told that they are very quick as standard with aprox 290bhp !
Ive just had a look on auto trader now and there's a silver type r selling from a dealer with good mods, looks pretty good at £3500, offer him £3000 you never know ?
Sorry ive just looked again at this car on autotrader and its not a type r , i typed 'type r' pardon the pun, in the key word section and this was amongst the results that came up. Sorry..

Last edited by JC-R; 04 February 2013 at 12:04 AM. Reason: not finished
Old 03 February 2013, 11:01 PM
Stiofan
Scooby Regular

I didn't even know there was a impreza type r... Does the blob STi come with DCCD?

Quick Reply: Hello - i want a Scooby, advice apriciated