Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removal of pslewis thread.

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2001, 10:43 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The post was removed because it was slanderous. Simple as that.

If you want to post slander about a company, go and set up your own BBS and risk your own livelihood.

Either that or post with the same respect that almost everyone else on the BBS seems to manage.

Please do not start another "moderators are scum / freedom of speech" thread.

IT WAS REMOVED BECAUSE IT WAS ILEGAL, NOT BECAUSE IT SAID SOMETHING I OR ANY OTHER MODERATOR DIDN'T LIKE

Regards

webmaster

PS. Thank you for giving me at least another hour of work to do this friday evening when I should be spending time with my wife. I hope you continue to enjoy this free bbs.

Old 20 April 2001, 10:56 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Thank you for that Simon

Whatever you think of me I was due an e-mail to let me know what you didnt like about the post - I think you mentioned respect above - well, you should have shown some to me then I can learn from you ok?

I am grateful to those who run and look after this BBS and will abide by the rules as long as I am told what I have done wrong and allowed to correct it - ok???

But to remove a thread without letting the originator know is rude and unforgivable IMO

Thank you for the hour you have given up - it would not have been needed had I been informed of the removal of my topic and/or given the chance to edit it OK? so its NOT my fault!

Pete

[This message has been edited by pslewis (edited 20 April 2001).]
Old 20 April 2001, 11:01 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

So thats a no is it?
Fair E nuff.
Sorry for making you work on a friday night m8, it was just a suggestion...
astraboy.
p.s. cheers for the explanation thou.
Old 20 April 2001, 11:03 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

So, pete , presumably an email to Simon, asking why it was removed was out of the question? Or indeed looking back at past discussions like this and realising that slanderous posts are not allowed?

All a bit too much like hard work eh?

so post up 3 topics saying the same thing, essentially, even if Simon had not thankfully locked them, following any sort of debate would have been immpossible. Combined with spudguns 4 similar posts (and just who is he anyway) debate becomes pointless.

Paul lessons in how not to **** off people.

1. Don't continue to post pointless threads

2. Use common courtesy (even if , in your mind, it hasn't been used towards you)

Old 20 April 2001, 11:09 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paul Wilson:
[B]So, pete , presumably an email to Simon, asking why it was removed was out of the question? Or indeed looking back at past discussions like this and realising that slanderous posts are not allowed?

All a bit too much like hard work eh?

Not at all Paul - its the simple fact that you fail to grasp, watch my lips - I did NOT do anything I thought was wrong - I did not remove someones post without notification - I did not p155 anyone off with my post - so? why should I go looking for explanations why I had MY post removed without so much as an e-mail??????

Spudgun happened to understand the point of principle at stake - you fail to get it dont you??? you would live in a police state and be a good little boy - well some of us will NOT go quietly!!

Pete
Old 20 April 2001, 11:15 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
can we stop this one here please.

you have your explanation.

if you want it in more detail take this offline with simon and not keep on arguing about it on the BBS, it's achieving nothing.

Just my humble opinion. Not a dictatorial statement.
Old 20 April 2001, 11:17 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Pete

You DID do something wrong. You posted an unlawful post on scoobynet which could have potentially jeopardised the continuation of it.

You have been present on this bbs during discussions of this subject and I assumed you were aware that it was wrong to post slander on the bbs.

In hind-sight, maybe I should have emailed you to explain, but I was JUST on my way out and was late and assumed that you would email me if you had a problem with the removal.

It seems, from reading some of the other threads, that you have classified this as spineless and cowardly.

Thanks for that. it makes it all worthwhile
Old 20 April 2001, 11:20 PM
MrData
Scooby Regular

Smile

My Opinion

Leave Simon be!

We all use this facility a lot and it is a credit to the time and effort that Simon and the others put into it.

Please don't eat up any more of his time uneccesarily. Just accept what's been done and move on.

Old 20 April 2001, 11:22 PM
MrData
Scooby Regular

Smile

My Opinion

Leave Simon be!

We all use this facility a lot and it is a credit to the time and effort that Simon and the others put into it.

Please don't eat up any more of his time uneccesarily. Just accept what's been done and move on.

Old 20 April 2001, 11:23 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Pete, for your own sake chill a little. I kno you are hyped up and pissed off as I have had posts removed without warning or explanation and I reacted in the same way. Believe me when I say that it is better to remain dignified in your silence. There will be no shortage of people just itching to rip into you mercilessly when they read this. And they will believe me. people you have never met or replied to will tear into you as if you have personally affronted them. It aint worth it.
FOR YOUR OWN SAKE LET IT GO!!
astraboy.
Old 20 April 2001, 11:27 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

i am spudgun! i look on this bbs most nights for relaxation, believe it or not! however, tonight it seems that a thread was closed down because it wasnt complimentary to IM.
normally i only post friendly topics, asking daft questions, and enjoying friendly banter with like minded people.
tonight i tried to stick up for a like minded person. ok, i understand that simon doesnt want the bbs getting in the ****, and i for one appreciate this bbs, i genuinely do. it also makes me nauseous sometimes the way some people fall over themselves to kiss various peoples/dealers/after market modders asses! just for once, pete had a real valuable point and i tried to help, thats all.
yours truly
spudgun
my00,ppp....who are u????
Old 20 April 2001, 11:35 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

spudgun

If that point had been made without the slander, it would have been fine.

I can't believe you have just stated that the post had been removed because it wasnt complimentary to IM after the section I put in my first post in capital letters.

I personally have had some run in's with IM that have made me FUME. I have also had some dealings with IM which have made me remember why I have an Impreza.

If you want to post something which is not complimentary about IM then as long as it is legal, you are welcome to do so.. but PLEASE, don't use that as a reason to just go and post one for the sake of it as it will mean I have to spend so much extra time monitoring the thread in-case some smart alec says something slanderous.

To clarify, try to think back to the post from pslewis and then read this...

If you were to say "Company X showed me what was in my opinion a low level of customer service and I was disgusted". It would be completely legal.

If you were to say "Company X are a waste of space", it would not be legal, as Company X are not LITERALLY a waste of space.

Regards

Simon
Old 20 April 2001, 11:35 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Pete,

Given the nature of your post (and yes I did read it, and for what it's worth hope you DO win your case), it doesn't take a rocket scientist to think of possible reasons why it may have been deleted.

This BBS is run at someone else's expense and in their own free time. Yet you have the NERVE to say that it's inexcusable that they don't spend the time to write you an INSTANT full explanation of why your thread was removed on a FRIDAY evening? So instead, within a few MINUTES of your post going, you and your crony spudgun have spammed the BBS full of threads containing the same old cr4p.

Man, you are so full of your own self importance it's just not true. I think it's YOU who should be explaining yourself and apologizing to the moderators this evening, not vice versa.

Gary.
Old 20 April 2001, 11:36 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

At the end of the day, the people that run this service have to look after it and keep it in check, as they are the first people to get BUGGERED if bad things get put up. We should try to keep this all in perspective and also see that there were circumstances beyond people's control, such as Simon having to go out just as the offending post came in etc.
Sod freedom of speech when at the end of the day, this service that we all use and love is free and the guys that run it could lose out big time, due to no bad actions on their part.
Just everyone take that in.

All of the above and posts by me this evening have been just IM(strong)HO, so don't flame me too badly.....

Nick.

[This message has been edited by Mr Footlong (edited 20 April 2001).]
Old 20 April 2001, 11:38 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Pete, you didn't <B> think </B> you did anything wrong, Simon thought you did, Simon gets to carry the can, Simon gets the casting vote. Simple isn't it?

Oh and my apologies for saying you had started 3 pointless threads, it was 4, and 4 for your mate spudgun as well. took spudgun all of 11 minutes, took you a bit longer, over an hour.
Old 20 April 2001, 11:41 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I will let this go now - on the ABSOLUTE understanding that if someone has their post removed they are sent an e-mail - come on, Simon, you had time to read my (LONG!!) post, delete it - so I put it to you that an e-mail like; 'Pete, removed your post, off out now, will explain later - regards Simon' would have NOT taken up too much time and I CAN be very understanding when treated with respect. I am someone you want at your shoulder NOT facing you.

Can I have your statement here and now that you will e-mail someone if you remove their post?

I would like to say, again, thanks for your efforts - I DO appreciate them - let others blow your trumpet it sounds so much nicer

pete
Old 20 April 2001, 11:44 PM
MrData
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well.........

I for one had a few problems with my P1 from new.

I got them sorted with the direct involvement of this bbs without getting any posts deleted.
Old 20 April 2001, 11:50 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Pete

I will do no such thing.

I will make a statement here and now which has held true since the day I took over scoobynet.

I will do EVERYTHING in my power to ensure the healthy continuation of scoobynet.

Everything I do will be of benefit to the cumminity.

I will continue to work on making scoobynet better and better.

I did not need to read the whole of your post, only the first 2 lines which contained potentially slanderous comments.

I would normally mail people immediately after deleting a post (which is an incredibly rare occurance I might add), but had no time to on this occasion.

I do not need to make any statements about mailing people as I would almost always do this anyway.

Considering how long you have been on here, you should have known why your post was removed. If you were unhappy about it, you should have mailed me. You had PLENTY of time to start a number of threads and countless posts on the subject, and yet, not a single email from you has appeared in my inbox.

It seems that you have no circumstances that meant you could not email me.

I have no animousity towards you, and will be happy to completely forget about this.

The only reason I am still here following this thread rather than relaxing for the evening is the respect I have for the community and my desire to answer any of your questions.

Regards

Simon
Old 20 April 2001, 11:54 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Pete,

And if you don't get your ABSOLUTE guarantee, what are you going to do? Spam the BBS until you get it? How can you sit there and make DEMANDS from someone, regarding an excellent service which costs you NOTHING and somebody else a good deal of time and money. This time, you really are taking the pi$$.

gary.
Old 20 April 2001, 11:59 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Red face

Sadly its just as I thought - a long winded reply when a one liner would have done

A simple one line e-mail in your skilful hands would take seconds

As I said before - let others blow your trumpet - it sounds so much nicer

Slander is only slander if its true - IM getting into court by saying it clearly ISNT a waste of space is laughable and you know it!! its a common saying of little legal value.

What you DIDNT like I suspect is the general jist of the topic that IM is treating one of its customers very badly - me!!

Let me edit it and we can see what reaction it gets - I am sure that you KNOW you cant now (you are FULLY aware that it wasnt bad!!)

Pete
Old 21 April 2001, 12:52 AM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Free speech is important, <I> in the Real World</I> ... people have died to protect it, but let's be realistic here ... I've said it on here before and I'll say it again this is a <I>moderated</I> BBS and if you don't like the moderators' decisions, go elsewhere, like usenet: you have total free speech there ... you can say what you like about IM, Prodrive, George Bush or Simon de Banke, you can get smutty pictures to suit every depraved taste and it is UTTER SH1TE unless you have a finely-tuned kill-filter. Get real.
Old 21 April 2001, 03:28 AM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

"Slander is only slander if its true"

Oh Pete, get it right mate. Slander is by definition a false statement.

Understand the world in which you speak. It is a space allowed to you at the will and benevolence of others. Whether you think this to be unjust or not, be realistic. Understand where you are, and who allows you to speak, then you will understand.

Whether the moderators agree with you or not, they have an agenda they must keep to - the protection of the bbs. If you didn't get an email, then then the person who didn't email you had better things to do than stay on the bbs all night Friday......

Goodnight.
Old 21 April 2001, 07:02 AM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Cool

I`m in full support of Simon on this one.

I can remember the last time Scoobynet got shut down for a similar thread , not good.

I for one, would be gutted if it was to happen again, along with everybody else i`m sure.

If somebody has a problem with a supplier, then its good that it can be brought out into the open, but words should be chosen carefully.

Lets keep Scoobynet open and free!

Paul
Old 21 April 2001, 10:58 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

We all know what a great job Simon and the other moderators do for us on here to provide this free service for us subaru enthusiasts
This isnt pointed at anyone, not even you Pete but i think we should all read the rules occasionally, me included as i too have had one of my topics closed by Simon for putting in a full registration but you have to look at the fact that we all want to go home on a friday evening, we all need to relax and we all have lives to live and we should respect that, just imagine if it was you

I hope that everyone has a great weekend and ill post some mediocre comments again soon

Regards,

Tony
Old 21 April 2001, 11:03 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

I.M. ARE A BUNCH OF MUPPETS!!!!!
Well I guess they would be, seeing as the company in question is called 'International Muppets'.

Stef.
Old 21 April 2001, 11:09 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Simon don't you have anything better to do than reply to these pointless threads? I know your a busy guy who doesn't like getting caught up in this type of rubble.

I don't see the point in this and I think most of the community agrees with me, so if someone has any beef can you please take it off line!

Harj...
Old 21 April 2001, 11:10 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Question

Here comes Tractor - another fan of mine!! crawling out of the woodwork to make a personal attack and to preach to me - typical of a brain dead copy-cat for your info I just flew back in from Florida and had planned a quiet evening in, then this happens!!

As long as the worms only turn when they think the world is behind them I can handle it - heaven forbid if the likes of Tractor get a mind of their own!! scary!!

Thanks for your contribution Paul (Walker)you have spoken a lot of sense (Tractor and others of the worm kind take note!) - I too would hate to see Scoobynet close down through careless words - the point was that I didnt know I had overstepped the mark on a post and wasnt told that it would be removed, it just disappeared, see? - that is the ONLY thing I objected to

Anyway lets not try and restart the argument, it was ended last night, Simon and I shook keyboards and want to let the issue lie, OK?

Pete

Old 21 April 2001, 11:17 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Tony stef and harj - thanks for your comments - see tractor and Co.- no need to make personal attacks, see? watch and learn from those wiser than oneself

Pete
Old 21 April 2001, 11:25 AM
JBr
BANNED

Talking

You are back then pete!! look what you have done M8!! am I still on to rent your place in Florida?? go on let me, pretty please!

I am not going to enter into this fire - however I will say that you are quite right to raise issues that others are scared to - me included M8 (I want an easy life)

James
Old 21 April 2001, 12:01 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Angry

Gay Collier - you dont like me and I dont care for your attitude - you are just being personal - so, go pedal your sad face elsewhere, or say something with some meat?

Pete

Quick Reply: Removal of pslewis thread.