Sponsored by:

Full Respray

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2013, 10:13 PM
Maddog105
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Respray

Got quite a few stone chips now on bonnet and off side wing plus usual swirl marks all over and a few minor scuffs here and there.

I have been reading some of the other threads and concerned about not colour matching/different shade etc.

Has anyone had a full respray done back to original colour and how much?

Or is wrapping the way to go?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11 January 2013, 10:20 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have, had the paint properly matched by sayers in northampton. All trim, bumpers, lights, handles etc stripped off and resprayed.
Cost is around £1600-£2500 dependning on how bad the original bodywork is. The cost of raplcement trim clips and front crossmember pushed mine up a bit.
Very happy with the job though.

Could you not get front end resprayed and then rest of car properly polished to remove swirls?
Old 11 January 2013, 10:30 PM
Maddog105
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by topshot
I have, had the paint properly matched by sayers in northampton. All trim, bumpers, lights, handles etc stripped off and resprayed.
Cost is around £1600-£2500 dependning on how bad the original bodywork is. The cost of raplcement trim clips and front crossmember pushed mine up a bit.

Could you not get front end resprayed and then rest of car properly polished to remove swirls?
Thanks for that. That was my other option. Had a gut come round from 'Revive' and he demonstrated what he could do on the scoop and I must say it was awesome. 3 stage polish then he treated it with something called liquid glass? Still looks great now. Was just worried I'd end up with a different shade front half after reading some horror stories.
Old 11 January 2013, 10:42 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Maddog105
Thanks for that. That was my other option. Had a gut come round from 'Revive' and he demonstrated what he could do on the scoop and I must say it was awesome. 3 stage polish then he treated it with something called liquid glass? Still looks great now. Was just worried I'd end up with a different shade front half after reading some horror stories.
Just get a few quotes and try and see some examples of work before deciding on who to use.

As regards to paint match make sure they get a proper match, you could drop your fuel filler cap into a paint company to get a proper match as you can end up with different shades if they just go off the paint code.

Old 11 January 2013, 10:51 PM
dexster81
Scooby Regular

I had my car completly resprayed, cost 2500 (pounds) after an original qoute of 1500 was a perfect job and I was so happy even though it cost 1000 extra.
I'm talking SH*T biggest waste of money I ever spent and I hope the guy who did it see's this, not only was it 5 weeks late and 1000 extra but the job was sh*t and now 2.5 years later I'm now looking to get the work redone as its rustier than it ever was.
It is soo true what people say do it right the first time with the right homework or do it twice.
Find a trusted professional spray shop pay the extra and use them, as long as they backup their work.
Old 11 January 2013, 11:07 PM
r6nick
Scooby Regular

if tbey fade in from the front into the front doors properly u shouldnt notice the slight difference in shade there might be!!
That liquid glass gives an amaizin long lasting shine too.
Old 11 January 2013, 11:39 PM
lofty35
Scooby Regular

full respray here, both rear arches repaired and welded , dings/dents all smoothed over looks sweet now. In original colour mica blue.
cost £1200 suposed to take 10 day but took 3 weeks, not really a problem but brill job.
gmotorsport peterborough.

Trending Topics

Old 12 January 2013, 08:39 AM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by topshot

Who did you use in northampton?
Old 12 January 2013, 09:49 AM
evolvedgsr
Scooby Regular

Hi guys, to be fair a re-spray under £3k is cheap!
I've worked in restoration/crash/classic, mainly show and concourse standard cars.

If you are getting a quote ask to see a previous job, or phone number and have a chat to someone who's already dealt with the shop.

Cheap re-sprays never strip back to bear metal....so in essence you and the shop have no idea whats underneath the existing body and paint. So when someone wants a cheap job thats what they are goin to get!,?
As far as rust repair especially on arches, it's only ever a patch job...if it's started somewhere it's probability going to keep coming. ALWAYS ask to see the repairs before they are primed, get the inner arches welded or fish oil as welding burns off all the old wax and paint leaving it bare therefore rusting again!
And from experience jobs always take longer and this is sometimes better because when you rush you make mistakes and take short cuts, so if you want it done quick and cheap you are always risking the quality of the end product.

As far as colour matching, best if the shop has a spectrometer! Giving you petrol cap is great providing none off the car has been painted before.

Not to say a cheap re-spray won't be nice but do your homework!

Best of luck hope this helps
Old 12 January 2013, 11:18 AM
t4and greys
Scooby Regular

agree with what he said ^^^^^^^

although just to add i have personally seen as im in the trade £800 paintjobs look sooo much better than 3k paintjobs ,just depends on the garage and painter thats prepping and painting it for you

if the prepwork is skimped on or poor then paint will look cack too
as said a decent painter wont mind you having a nose around workshop etc and also have a look at some of there other finished jobs too
usually will give you an idea of workmanship ,and also worth seeing if they have a nice oven to bake the car in too for a nicer job
Old 12 January 2013, 12:18 PM
Mike GT
Scooby Regular

Iv'e had a few paint jobs in my time and can honestly say, stay the f*ck away from "big" so called repair, accident damage companys cos they are crap and could not give a monkeys what your car looks like in 6/12 or 18 months time as long as you pay way over the odds for there work....

A paint job wether it's £1000 or £3000 will look as good as each other as long as all the preperation is done properly and to a proffesional standard..

I find the little back street painter, who has all the right equipment to be the better of the 2, as his livelyhood depends on him churning out top quality paint work, every time wether it be the odd panel, or a full respray.

I would advise, finding that one painter who is'nt just a painter, but is a car fanatic, maybe has show cars/bikes of his own ( like my painter who is also an airbrush artist ) so his attention to detail is exceptional and knows what I and other customers expect from his work.
In the last 12 months he has painted several of my club cars, including an R33 skyline, Datsun 260Z, Evo 7, my old Gen6 GT4, RX 7, my wifes classic wrx, Suzuki ignis sport, Gen7 Celica, T-sport yaris....my wrx wagon is due into his place in 2 months for a complete strip and repaint, but 4 of these cars won best in class at shows last year....

I do hope you find someone who is just as good, as they are worth their weight in gold, but are hard to find.
Old 12 January 2013, 05:01 PM
Maddog105
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys for all your tips and advice which I have taken onboard.

Been to see a local guy this afternoon who has a good reputation and is currently working on a brand new Schnitzer BMW for a main dealer.

He has quoted me £800 for the front end and will blend in plus he will do rear spoiler and the rear inside wheel arch which has a couple of gouges, probably from seatbelt being caught in the door.

For a full respray which includes everything off the car, full prep etc £3k so I guess I'll be going for the £800 option.

Thanks again guys, really helpful and appreciated
Old 12 January 2013, 05:11 PM
bugblue1
Scooby Regular

Hi maddog il show you my bumper which was done in k.l. the bloke actually lives in your village you should take a look at it crap m8 different colour had it redone after their first go,but its still a different shade il show you on the 27th.theres a good painter at subaru garage had many good things said about him.ian

Last edited by bugblue1; 12 January 2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12 January 2013, 05:18 PM
Maddog105
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugblue1
Hi maddog il show you my bumper which was done in k.l. the bloke actually lives in your village you should take a look at it crap m8 different colour had it redone after their first go,but its still a different shade il show you on the 27th.theres a good painter at subaru garage had many good things said about him.ian
Can you pm me who did it?

I have been to see Matt Gull at Gull Customs in Setch. Hope it's not the same guy?
Old 12 January 2013, 06:05 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

It all comes down to how good the painter is. Ive had cars done in fancy top of the range garages with all the top notch kit, but because the painter wasn't great the finish was sh1te. And these are garages with big reps too.
My next door neighbour does a bit and used to be a full time body man. Been in the trade longer than ive been alive. Now he doesn't have a spray booth or even an oven so when I gave him a car to do I wasn't expecting much. Got the car back after a week and its the best paintwork ive seen in a long long time. Just goes to show, a good workman can do a great job with any tools. Plus he was as cheap as chips which was a masive bonus.
Old 12 January 2013, 06:20 PM
Maddog105
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
It all comes down to how good the painter is. Ive had cars done in fancy top of the range garages with all the top notch kit, but because the painter wasn't great the finish was sh1te. And these are garages with big reps too.
My next door neighbour does a bit and used to be a full time body man. Been in the trade longer than ive been alive. Now he doesn't have a spray booth or even an oven so when I gave him a car to do I wasn't expecting much. Got the car back after a week and its the best paintwork ive seen in a long long time. Just goes to show, a good workman can do a great job with any tools. Plus he was as cheap as chips which was a masive bonus.
Matt, can you have a chat with him about mine and if he's OK with it we can catch up on 27th?
Old 12 January 2013, 06:53 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Maddog105
Matt, can you have a chat with him about mine and if he's OK with it we can catch up on 27th?
Yep yep I'll have a chat with him buddy. I do know he's not keen on doing entire cars nowdays though as its alot of work and he's not as young and fit as he once was....lol...
Hes a bloody good sprayer though I'll give him that. I regret not having my impreza done there but at the time I didn't realize how skilled he was.
Old 12 January 2013, 08:00 PM
need4speeduk
Scooby Regular

If you want a full respray then only one man for the job. Ryan, aka prodriverules. 100% assure you that you wont leave disappointed.
Old 13 January 2013, 02:40 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

the 2 grand + paint jobs are a joke, theyre having you on. i wouldnt pay over a grand for a full car but i would do the prep and help mask up ,remove all trim etc.
Old 13 January 2013, 09:53 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

When I had my impreza painted I completely stripped it myself. I also bought new trim clips etc and then once painted I put it all back together.
Quite a long process doing it but I stripped it over a whole week and actually quite enjoyed it.
This saves a fair amount of cash too. Putting it back together when its freshly painted is a bit nerve racking though....lol
Old 13 January 2013, 10:54 AM
chunkb
Scooby Regular

Give Steve a call at SGM Racepaint down in Banbury,top guy,they did all the Subaru rally cars,and RCM always use them.
Old 13 January 2013, 12:17 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by howellsy42
Who did you use in northampton?
Unique, also used Elite and KnightRacer (MK) before.
Old 13 January 2013, 12:37 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Dont skimp on cheap body repairs!!

I have been using the same fella this past 10 years....no hes not cheap but his work is unreal.

To give you an idea, i got front splitter repaired and painted along with front bumper, rear boot lid (small patch of rust at spoiler hole) painted, blobeye rear arch trim painted and fitted and a top window spoiler painted and fitted also and car buffed and polished....£600....worth every penny, car is now sitting mint again

Id say a good respray would be at least £2000 in most places unless you are stripping a lot of the car yourself....a friend recently had his Type R totally resprayed with same fella, whole car, and inside boot lid and under bonnet and door shuts done also...was around the £1800 mark.

Last edited by RB5 Boyo; 13 January 2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 13 January 2013, 05:43 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

quailty cost...so one would expect to pay at least £2500 upwards if one want a professional job done , of cause you can get it done cheaper (it cheaper for a reason ! )
Old 13 January 2013, 06:21 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

And what's that reason. I think we need to differentiate between spray jobs and body repair.
Old 13 January 2013, 07:45 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bighead
quailty cost...so one would expect to pay at least £2500 upwards if one want a professional job done , of cause you can get it done cheaper (it cheaper for a reason ! )
You what? £2500+ for a standard colour respray with no major repairs?