Sponsored by:

Not a Subaru owner yet

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2013, 10:05 PM
RCS2810
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Not a Subaru owner yet

I've not got a Subaru yet but I'm 21 and will be able to buy and insure one hopefully middle of this summer. I've had a WRX when I was 18 and the insurance was unbelievably expensive. I've done some quotes now and they are affordable if I pay annually which I shall.

I've always had a weak spot for Imprezas and truly can't wait to have one. My budget should be about £3000 and I'm hoping to get a WRX as not sure about insurance on an STi, not bothered about the age just as long the body is in good condition.

Thought I'd join this forum now as it seems active and thought I could get some advice and tips as to what to look out for when purchasing. Hopefully I'll buy a membership soon.

Also is there anyone in Eastbourne/Hailsham area with a Scooby? Just fancy a meet up etc.

Thanks for reading :-)
Old 06 January 2013, 12:00 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was 23 before I could afford the insurance on a Scooby though it was a bug eye STi PPP not a WRX. It is a good idea to have as standard a car as possible most of the time.

I think things are a little bit different a few years on but the areas you live in and number of years of no claims really helps. As does being 25, it comes down massively then if you have a clean license! Having a tracker is pretty much a necessity but make sure you play around with your quote to see what is best for you and follow that price. Oh and get as many quotes as possible, some insurers that supposedly cater for high performance cars have quoted me five figures to insure mine, though my current insurer charges me three.

However, with my current insurer for some reason where I live it is more expensive to garage my car so I leave it parked round the back of the house
Old 06 January 2013, 12:09 AM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

Got my turbo when I was 21, insurance wasn't too bad, most wouldn't insure me. Added my mum and gf as named drivers, lowered it a fair bit, tho they wouldnt let me add my dad as it would cost more :S adding a tracker didn't save me more than £50 a year from any insurance company I spoke too.
Old 06 January 2013, 12:25 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

My advice for a young potential impreza owner would be to start off with a nice original UK turbo. Far cheaper to insure than its slightly upgraded wrx brother but still a good drivers car with enough power to get you in trouble. Start off with a standard UK car, learn how to drive it and understand how it works. At 21 your still very inexperienced (I dont mean to sound patronising) so a standard UK car is a great base to learn in. Then after a year or two you could move up the ladder and into a wrx or better still an sti.

Also bare in mind that a good UK turbo can be had for under £2000 now which will leave a few quid in the pot for a few tasteful mods or could go towards your insurance.

(Got I sound old don't I, im only 29 but feel like an old git )

Last edited by MattyB1983; 06 January 2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06 January 2013, 12:28 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
My advice for a young potential impreza owner would be to start off with a nice original UK turbo. Far cheaper to insure than its slightly upgraded wrx brother but still a good drivers car with enough power to get you in trouble. Start off with a standard UK car, learn how to drive it and understand how it works. At 21 your still very inexperienced (I dont mean to sound patronising) so a standard UK car is a great base to learn in. Then after a year or two you could move up the ladder and into a wrx or better still an sti.

Also bare in mind that a good UK turbo can be had for under £2000 now which will leave a few quid in the pot for a few tasteful mods or could go towards your insurance.
What Matt says. A UK Turbo is group 17 insurance, WRX/STi import group 20. Plus when you have a bit of experience to show your insurers, you can pop an exhaust, filter and get a remap done for a healthy 260-280bhp
Old 06 January 2013, 12:34 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
. Plus when you have a bit of experience to show your insurers, you can pop an exhaust, filter and get a remap done for a healthy 260-280bhp

Exactly,
Old 06 January 2013, 03:17 AM
koneil97
Scooby Regular

My first scoob was a uk turbo which I bought at when I was 20 and insurance was £2000 on as a second driver
Old 06 January 2013, 04:53 AM
RCS2810
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your advice. Will do more research but always found UK Turbos rare and more expensive to purchase. Time is going to go so slow
Old 06 January 2013, 11:27 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by koneil97
My first scoob was a uk turbo which I bought at when I was 20 and insurance was £2000 on as a second driver
If you bought an Impreza (or any car infact), were the legal owner and had your name on the log book but were only a named driver on the insurance policy, then you are/were commuting insurance fraud by 'fronting'.

Originally Posted by RCS2810
Thanks for all your advice. Will do more research but always found UK Turbos rare and more expensive to purchase. Time is going to go so slow
Good examples are becoming harder to find due to the age of even the youngest ones and general chav image of all the *******ised ones BUT there are good ones out there and they're still a capable car