2006 impreza wrx

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2012, 08:25 PM
macroo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 impreza wrx

Hi guys

planning on getting a hawkeye 06 plate at some time in the near future and was hoping for some pointers

I know the tax is the full whack for this kind but I prefer the look of this one to the older version.

anything I should look out for when going to view one?

are there any early indications about head gaskets going? any other visible tell tale signs that something is wrong?

have read about the timing belt to be replaced about 5 years or 60k miles - is this about right?

how bulletproof are these engines? I'm not after a modified one - maybe just one with the prodrive pack (more visual than performance?) but not planning on increasing the bhp - and I take it easy with cars so not planning on thrashing it either.

any advice etc would be great

cheers
Old 27 December 2012, 08:32 PM
Arkynsei
Scooby Regular

I've not had a 2.5, but the Prodrive pack isn't visual. It's a remap to 320~ BHP up from 270 odd and a few other internal bits.
Old 27 December 2012, 08:43 PM
macroo
Scooby Regular

cheers - the ad says that it's basically an exhaust, gearknob (?) spoiler splitter but no mention of the engine uprated - will need to ask
Old 27 December 2012, 08:48 PM
Arkynsei
Scooby Regular

Hmm. Well if it's PPP it should have a few uprated bits under the engine (Exactly what, escapes me, nothing major though.. i.e. not a turbo upgrade or anything) it's a backbox which is better than OEM.. but not that loud and needs swapping out anyway, the gearknob is the same I believe and I'm 99% sure the spoiler is the same too. Sounds like lies to me.

If it's a Prodrive Performance Pack it'll have a certificate stating so. Oh and I noticed you said WRX not STI, my previous figures were wrong. 230 standard up to 265? Off the top of my head so could be nonsense, but it's not far off.

The 2.5 has suffered some set backs with gaskets going and requiring full engine rebuilds (2k ish) but when you're on a forum.. it's hard to tell if it's a common thing or if everything just comes to the forum when they have that problem. Also it's hard to tell how they're driving it.

Depending on your age, I'd go for a JDM spec Hawkeye, stronger 2 litre engine which I'd have a little more faith in. Be more to insure and buy though. May not be any WRX's of those too, perhaps only STI's but again, I could be wrong.
Old 27 December 2012, 08:54 PM
macroo
Scooby Regular

yeah forums are not the places to come to for good news

thanks for the tip off about the prodrive pack - not really looking for one with any engine mods as 230bhp is good enough for me at the moment

what like are imprezas to work on? I do all my own work on land rovers/range rovers and know my way about them but I hear that the subaru engines are a bit 'awkward' to work with? not a lot of space etc? I found a video on you tube showing what had to be removed to change the plugs?

will keep my eyes and ears open for a good car and see what come up anyways

thanks again